SiouxSports.com Forum

Augie announces they are examining the move to DI

Wildfan

2 hours ago, Kab said:

A conference should be like institutions

augie doesn’t fit in

a blend of big sky and summit makes more sense

sanford is buying a conference the way it looks 

Some Big Sky institutions are still needed because Augie would not be an official DI school for at least 5 years, plus the # of years to announce.

PUFW and ORU will be long gone by then.  WIU is hemorrhaging students and money at a fast pace too and may have to drop to DII and the Great Lakes Valley Conference.  WIU and EIU made a mistake when they moved to DI to start the then MidCon conference.  UNI and UWGB should have insisted on UND and NDSU, but Cleveland St, Illinois-Chicago, Mo St and Valpo insisted on them for easy travel.

The only thing that can save the Summit is if MVC members like UNI  move over.  But that conference is so much more prestigious and has big time NCAA credits with the recent Loyola run.

The Summit will need much more than Augie to survive under new NCAA rules that the old MidCon didn’t face.

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Will Augie keep football or will they pull an Omaha and drop the sport?

If they keep football, will they move it to the Pioneer League? 

If I were the Augie President, I’d start non scholarship fb for enrollment to become a fb rival for Drake and Valpo, and start M&W lacrosse. All of those moves would maximize enrollment, but it depends on how much Sanford will endow Augie.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

If I were the Augie President, I’d start non scholarship fb for enrollment to become a fb rival for Drake and Valpo, and start M&W lacrosse ... 

... to pull in more MSP metro kids. Yes. 

Who should be upset by this? SDSU and USD.
Sanford is building a problem for them in Sioux Falls.
Instead I have the feeling they have to sit back and accept it. 

RespectfulViciousArmadillo-size_restrict

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

... to pull in more MSP metro kids. Yes. 

Who should be upset by this? SDSU and USD.
Sanford is building a problem for them in Sioux Falls.
Instead I have the feeling they have to sit back and accept it. 

RespectfulViciousArmadillo-size_restrict

Would even start M/W hockey and join the WCHA.  If the men draw half as well as the USHL team,  they would be a box office success.

Dropping scholarship FCS almost equals MW lax and hockey in scholarships.  Lax has so many players but only partial scholarships.

I've come around a bit on the idea of Augustana joining the Summit.  If it would result in eliminating this preposterous and haphazard basketball schedule through the season, then I can get on board.  In the grand scheme of things, Auggie isn't going to make the Summit much less attractive than it already is.

UND/NDSU, SDSU/Augie, USD/Omaha <-- there's a tight six pack for a division of a conference. 

Then again, ...

Montana/Montana State, EWU/Idaho, Weber State/Denver would be another reasonably tight six. (WSU/Denver would be flight but it's SLC/DEN.)

DU and Omaha have no FB. Pretty sure Augie is going to do something with theirs (Pioneer League?). If that were to happen there's 12 BB, 9 FB. Hmmm, that works really well for scheduling. 

24903470.gif

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND/NDSU, SDSU/Augie, USD/Omaha <-- there's a tight six pack for a division of a conference. 

Then again, ...

Montana/Montana State, EWU/Idaho, Weber State/Denver would be another reasonably tight six. (WSU/Denver would be flight but it's SLC/DEN.)

DU and Omaha have no FB. Pretty sure Augie is going to do something with theirs (Pioneer League?). If that were to happen there's 12 BB, 9 FB. Hmmm, that works really well for scheduling. 

24903470.gif

Not unless they hire someone who can read a map. :D

5 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I've come around a bit on the idea of Augustana joining the Summit.  If it would result in eliminating this preposterous and haphazard basketball schedule through the season, then I can get on board.  In the grand scheme of things, Auggie isn't going to make the Summit much less attractive than it already is.

They don't really have much of an effect on our schools, I guess their will be some minor recruiting impacts with more competition in the region. It is a significantly bigger issue for the SD schools, who look like nothing but pushovers to whatever Sanford demands. 

8 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Not unless they hire someone who can read a map. :D

I get your point 'dub, but, reality is, out here in East Flyover there's only a few teams to play. A bunch of teams from West Flyover are going to end up on your schedule to fill it because they have the inverse problem. So does it really matter if you're a matter of Conference East Flyover or Conference West Flyover? 

5 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Attractive to who?  And for what reason?  To attract future schools?  The Summit League is what it is.  A mid major who is a 1 bid league for most NCAA tournaments (at least the big ones).  The focus for conferences like the Summit is stability.  Adding a school smack dab in the footprint of the conference that in all likelyhood is not going to leave is exactly what the Summit needs.  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I get your point 'dub, but, reality is, out here in East Flyover there's only a few teams to play. A bunch of teams from West Flyover are going to end up on your schedule to fill it because they have the inverse problem. So does it really matter if you're a matter of Conference East Flyover or Conference West Flyover? 

But isn't this the conference that paired Grand Forks and Vermillion, Fort Wayne and Omaha? ...

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Then again, ...

24903470.gif

The flagship school presidents will be so happy, as there will be a orgy of the academics leadership, which shouldn’t be underestimated.

Ever since Nevada left, the Big Sky has been needing academic and research institutions.  Denver tried to get in, as it has research and academics, but was turned down for no football, so they had to inquire to the Summit.

NAU, Sac St, Portland St, Idaho St, S Utah and N Colo just don’t fill the research and academic wants.  EWU, Weber St and Augustana don’t either, but they make awfully good travel partners.

For both halves of the new  conference, three flights will get to almost all the road games.

21 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-western-illinois-university-layoffs-20190304-story.html

wiu is one more step closer to closing...bring on augie or jan brady state or morningside!

SW Minnesota St is almost on par with WIU now.  WIU has the advantage for recruiting fb players but that’s about it.

Trading WIU for Augie is a fair one.  No media in Illinois cares for WIU except the hometown one.

Talk by Douple about PUFW ands WIU leaving the Summit and Augie joining.

https://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk-with-kwsn/5093/tom-douple-on-summit-tourneys-decade-in-sioux-falls-augustana-possibility/#

The Men’s soccer talk is crap.  Denver and Omaha can join the MVC as affiliates.

The Summit needs football badly to save itself.  The Dakotas are not adding men’s soccer so the Summit needs to drop that sport and let Denver, Omaha and ORU go their way and find affiliate spots.  The MVC would take some programs now.

3 hours ago, Herd said:

I’d like to see the Summit 10 be:

und/ndsu

usd/sdsu

aug/Omaha

umkc/oru

denver/unc

thats  decent footprint.  The schools further west aren’t coming.

The resident trolls have been saying that for years but will be forced to eat crow.  UMKC has had opportunity to return, but the Summit is just a D2 league according to Kansas Citians.

There is not enough mens soccer teams unless NDSU wants to start it up or baseball unless UND restarts it.  The trolls just can't keep in mind the sports that are needed for an autobid, as they are inadvertently calling for fb to be dropped.

Football trumps everything so the Summit needs to go in that direction instead of mens soccer and baseball as it is now.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The resident trolls have been saying that for years but will be forced to eat crow.  UMKC has had opportunity to return, but the Summit is just a D2 league according to Kansas Citians.

There is not enough mens soccer teams unless NDSU wants to start it up or baseball unless UND restarts it.  The trolls just can't keep in mind the sports that are needed for an autobid, as they are inadvertently calling for fb to be dropped.

Football trumps everything so the Summit needs to go in that direction instead of mens soccer and baseball as it is now.

It would be smart to move the MVFC officially under the Summit name to prevent those issues.  Adding UNC stretches the footprint a lot to the west, but if Augie drops FB, that brings the number of teams to 12 and allows for east/west divisions with 3 crossover games for 8 total games per school.  Unfortunately, the west division would be killer with UND, UNC, NDSU, SDSU, USD, and probably UNI.

That leaves the east as MSU, the ISUs, Southern Ill, Western Ill and Youngstown St.  I'd much rather be in the east than the west but at the same time, you could have an NCHC-type situation where the west's strength of schedule helps more teams with average records get in.

If Augie doesn't drop football and gets into the new summit football league, you don't really need UNC, as DU doesn't want to be a travel partner with them anyway.  Your west becomes the Dakota 4, UNI and Augie.  The east stays the same, which is still much easier for them.

No clue if it happens, but it would keep that stability in 6-8 teams that aren't likely to leave each other and make the conference scramble.