SiouxSports.com Forum

Augie announces they are examining the move to DI

Wildfan

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

As a South Dakotan are you worried about the Sanford and their connection to Auggie? I am just asking after reading the rantings and ravings of a DU fan. 

Not really.  Sanford has given to USD, SDSU, NDSU, Augie, even Mankato State.  It’s not like T. Denny is to our program like OSU’s T. Boone exclusively.  We appreciate all he and the hospital has done for our university and Sioux Falls, but I’m not worried about Sanford helping out Augie (personally).  Sanford’s money has been a shot in the arm for all of our athletics.

plenty of fans from former NCC schools are rolling their eyes about Augie joining, but I see the benefits outweighing any sharing of limited resources.  To me more drivable games means more fans for both institutions.  Which means more money.  Fans always show up better for familiar opponents IMO, which is why our two schools both struggled to keep fans interested in playing Great West opponents.

Denver is a quality school to keep in the conference, but they do have a bit of a superiority complex about the Dakotas.  Honestly where the h@ll do they think they are running off to?  If they had a better invite they would have already taken it.  JMO

This is why I have confidence that more western teams are coming in.  Denver and ORU know that, or they could move back to the WAC in a second.  ORU very well might.  PUFW and W Ill can take a hike.  Rather have the Northern part of the Big Sky.

Augie doesn’t help solidify the Summit for at least six years, so the Summit Presidents have to know that another Dakota school wouldn’t cause those other non-I29 schools to leave.  

11 hours ago, kiyoat said:

Denver is a quality school to keep in the conference, but they do have a bit of a superiority complex about the Dakotas.  Honestly where the h@ll do they think they are running off to?  If they had a better invite they would have already taken it.  JMO

I find it funny that DU thinks they're far superior to the other schools in the Summit. It's elitism. They didn't like playing in the same conference as some of the former WCHA schools, either. Yes, they're a private school, but their basketball teams isn't exactly ripping it up. Also, I don't consider UNO an elite school and they would be on the same footing as NDSU, USD, SDSU and UND.  I am not sure why UNO would get their underwear in a bunch, if Augie joined the Summit, since they were in the same conference as Augie in the past. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Everyone is paying twice as much for athletics now in an effort to get away from associating with schools like Augustana. 

If Auggie Joins the Summit, any talk of the university presidents seeking to associate with like-minded institutions with solid research and academic profiles should end. 

From reading the story line, they're upping their financial commitment.

Augustana President Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin told KWSN last month she has heard from "very high-level" boosters who want the Vikings to move from Div. II to Div. I athletics, but the school's leadership wants to get more a sense of how beneficial such a move would be for the entire school (not just sports), and the kind of funding it could receive from the "granular," or lower-level boosters to fund the move, which would carry immense expenses in athletic staff and scholarships, not to mention higher travel costs to further-away opponent schools than Augie visits in the Northern Sun Conference.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Everyone is paying twice as much for athletics now in an effort to get away from associating with schools like Augustana. 

If Auggie Jones the Summit, any talk of the university presidents seeking to associate with like-minded institutions with solid research and academic profiles should end. 

One could argue, by them wanting to move to D1, they are like-minded.

7 hours ago, Kab said:

I doubt the big sky is letting carrol college in in the future

why would we do this

Carrol College is just NAIA, so it would take couple years of DII transition (to where with the GNAC having next to no ftball),seven years in DII to qualify to go DI, and five years of a DaI transition.  Carroll also has lower enrollment, endowment and doesn’t have a billionaire bankrolling a move up.

A DII school in Denver would make more sense, like Regis or Metro St or even UC-CS.

On a SD board, someone said Sanford is paying for the Summit office rent in SF, and Midco is based there.  Midco and Sanford are the prominent drivers of Augie in my estimation.  Midco will gain much with a SF school.

Augie plans to expand their undergrad offerings, grad offerings, expand enrollment, and greatly increase their endowment according to the Argu Leader link.  Someone, suspect it is Sanford, will bankroll that.

Augie can waive athletic scholarship tuition because as a private school, that is often done.  So DI wouldn’t necessarily raise athletic costs except for travel, room and board and coach salaries.  The enrollment increase can easily justify that.

42 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Seems to be a gentleman's agreement to take schools that don't have a conference home. It's why the Big Sky came calling after getting rejected from the MFVC.

The Summit League could have offered Lindenwood (St Louis private) or Southern Indiana (just built a new campus arena in Evansville): but it hasn’t and at least USI still wants DI.

Regarding basketball facilities, Augie has an on campus facility called the Elmen Center that is need of upgrades.  Rather than upgrade that facility, they have opted to lease the SF Arena, which is where the Summit League was played prior to the Denny Sanford Premier Center being built.

The Premier Center is where the Summit League Tournament is currently held.  It is a neutral court for the Summit League Tournament so the only time a Summit League team plays there is during the Summit League Tournament.  Augie would not be able to play there..  The SF Stampede hockey team plays in the Premier Center.  The 2018 NCAA Hockey West Regional was played in the Premier Center.

The future of the SF Arena that seats about 6,000 is currently in limbo.  The SF Arena is right next to the Premier Center.  The SF Arena might be torn down to make room for additional convention space and/or motel space.  That decision has not been made yet.

The other possibility for Augie in the event the SF Arena is torn down is the Sanford Pentagon, which is on the north edge of SF.  It is one building of many in a multi-sport complex that includes several outdoor football fields, indoor football facility, training facility, hockey facility, etc..  The Sanford Pentagon is a very modern facility built in 2013, and has a 3250 seat facility in the middle of it that has the "Old Hoosier Feel" to it.  The G-League Sioux Falls Skyforce play their games at the Pentagon.

The important thing to remember is the Denny Sanford Premier Center seats 12,000 and is where the Summit League Tournament is held.  The Sanford Pentagon is 3,250 seat facility and is a better facility than the Betty Engelstad Arena.

This evening, December 16, Nebraska is currently playing Oklahoma State at the Pentagon.  Every year they host a Power 5 Conference matchup.  This is the second time Oklahoma State has played there as they played the Gophers a couple years ago.  The teams that play there cannot say enough good things about the Pentagon.  If you want to see what the facility looks like, the game is currently at halftime on the Big Ten Network.

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Anyone doubt that Augie has access to some major Sanford money?

http://siouxfalls.business/augustana-2030-vision-calls-for-move-to-division-i-university/

Sanford is 82 and has pledged to give away his  $2.2 billion before death.  He might give a substantial part of that to Augie.

Shutting Sanford out was one of UND's biggest mistakes.  Had we not done that,  I believe phase II of the HPC would be finished by now.   Sanford just committed to a 10yr deal with our high school worth about $1.2 million.  Support from Sanford could make Augie relevant in a hurry.   

2 hours ago, g_mandakota said:

Regarding basketball facilities, Augie has an on campus facility called the Elmen Center that is need of upgrades.  Rather than upgrade that facility, they have opted to lease the SF Arena, which is where the Summit League was played prior to the Denny Sanford Premier Center being built.

The Premier Center is where the Summit League Tournament is currently held.  It is a neutral court for the Summit League Tournament so the only time a Summit League team plays there is during the Summit League Tournament.  Augie would not be able to play there..  The SF Stampede hockey team plays in the Premier Center.  The 2018 NCAA Hockey West Regional was played in the Premier Center.

The future of the SF Arena that seats about 6,000 is currently in limbo.  The SF Arena is right next to the Premier Center.  The SF Arena might be torn down to make room for additional convention space and/or motel space.  That decision has not been made yet.

The other possibility for Augie in the event the SF Arena is torn down is the Sanford Pentagon, which is on the north edge of SF.  It is one building of many in a multi-sport complex that includes several outdoor football fields, indoor football facility, training facility, hockey facility, etc..  The Sanford Pentagon is a very modern facility built in 2013, and has a 3250 seat facility in the middle of it that has the "Old Hoosier Feel" to it.  The G-League Sioux Falls Skyforce play their games at the Pentagon.

The important thing to remember is the Denny Sanford Premier Center seats 12,000 and is where the Summit League Tournament is held.  The Sanford Pentagon is 3,250 seat facility and is a better facility than the Betty Engelstad Arena.

This evening, December 16, Nebraska is currently playing Oklahoma State at the Pentagon.  Every year they host a Power 5 Conference matchup.  This is the second time Oklahoma State has played there as they played the Gophers a couple years ago.  The teams that play there cannot say enough good things about the Pentagon.  If you want to see what the facility looks like, the game is currently at halftime on the Big Ten Network.

They should play at the Pentagon... it would be perfect for Augie

On 12/15/2018 at 10:07 AM, UNDBIZ said:

If Auggie Jones the Summit, any talk of the university presidents seeking to associate with like-minded institutions with solid research and academic profiles should end. 

I felt the same way long before UND made the ill-advised decision to move to the SumValley.  The Summit particularly is a transient league, it always has been, and it always will be.  The fact that UND voluntarily made the decision to leave an association with schools like Idaho, Montanta, Montana St., UC Davis, and Weber for the dumpster fire that is the Summit tells me all I need to know about the long term vision of those that are in a leadership role at UND.  

• Upvote 3

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, SiouxVolley said:

Why would USD and SDSU want it?

Possible answer, to get 12 members with six in the East with easy travel,

There west would be:

EWU-Idaho

Mont- Mont St

Weber St-DU

We don't.  At least many of us don't.   This is all very short-sighted and not a good thing for any of us.  

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

We don't.  At least many of us don't.   This is all very short-sighted and not a good thing for any of us.  

Was it short sighted when the other three Dakotas accepted $ from Sanford to build new arenas and stadiums?  Sanford is calling in his IOUs to go to bat for Augie.

It very well could have been, I can't really argue against you here.  It makes me kind of nervous, the grip and influence that Sanford has into 3 of the Dakota schools and the Summit League conference offices.  They've got their tentacles stuck in pretty deep.