SiouxSports.com Forum

Augie announces they are examining the move to DI

Wildfan

13 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I felt the same way long before UND made the ill-advised decision to move to the SumValley.  The Summit particularly is a transient league, it always has been, and it always will be.  The fact that UND voluntarily made the decision to leave an association with schools like Idaho, Montanta, Montana St., UC Davis, and Weber for the dumpster fire that is the Summit tells me all I need to know about the long term vision of those that are in a leadership role at UND.  

You do realize that UND left the Summit due to financial reasons right?  Had they stayed, other sports may have had to be cut or even worse, not offering FCOA to its athletes. 

Yes, the Summit has lost several members in its history.  But given its proximity in the United States, that is something that isn't totally surprising.  Of course the Big Sky has an easier time keeping members.  Where are schools supposed to go?  Not like there are all these Western conferences sherry picking Big Sky schools.  By adding Augie, you could say that the Summit would probably be the stablist it has ever been.  The 5 Dakota Schools and Omaha aren't going anywhere.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You do realize that UND left the Summit due to financial reasons right?  Had they stayed, other sports may have had to be cut or even worse, not offering FCOA to its athletes. 

Yes, the Summit has lost several members in its history.  But given its proximity in the United States, that is something that isn't totally surprising.  Of course the Big Sky has an easier time keeping members.  Where are schools supposed to go?  Not like there are all these Western conferences sherry picking Big Sky schools.  By adding Augie, you could say that the Summit would probably be the stablist it has ever been.  The 5 Dakota Schools and Omaha aren't going anywhere.

So no matter what conference we are in, four bus trips for each sport is the best possible.  The same goes for the Montanas and Idaho.

Guess Kennedy should have directed us out of the NCHC too then, just keep the old NSIC footprint with Upper Michigan.  WMU, Miami, BGSU, And Ferris can be with DU and CC and UAH and the Alaskas.

But back to the point, for some odd reason, an 11th spot in the MVFC mysteriously happened when the media down south always said we weren’t wanted.  That’s what forced us to the BSC to begin with.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Is there any chance Augie goes to the WAC if they move to D1?  Sioux Falls to Kansas City is only about 5 hours.

Sanford would have to launch a new bribe campaign in states where Sanford Medical doesn’t reach.

The WAC has been named by Dixie St and Metro St as having interest in them.

KC doesn’t have even daily flights to SF.  WAC travel is almost exclusively by plane.

20 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Hopefully if that happens we get Phase 2 built with Sanford money.  Might as well have some benefit if we are affected by the other Dakotas attachment to Sanford anyway.

This time we can offer an “aye” vote if the money doesn’t have other strings, like renaming the medical school Sanford.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

So no matter what conference we are in, four bus trips for each sport is the best possible.  The same goes for the Montanas and Idaho.

Guess Kennedy should have directed us out of the NCHC too then, just keep the old NSIC footprint with Upper Michigan.  WMU, Miami, BGSU, And Ferris can be with DU and CC and UAH and the Alaskas.

But back to the point, for some odd reason, an 11th spot in the MVFC mysteriously happened when the media down south always said we weren’t wanted.  That’s what forced us to the BSC to begin with.

Not the same thing.  Can't really compare a conference where we have one sport to a conference where every other sport competes.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe, just maybe, the MVC private schools have reached out to Augie and inquired about their “later”, after they have been DI for several years.  The Sanford Arena is a perfect MVC mbb spot.

Augie would fit their private school profile, as the MVC is currently limited in selections to Detroit and Oral Roberts.  Sioux Falls says MVC city, unlike Vermillion and Brookings.  If Sanford gives them a major endowment, their case is a slam dunk when there is an private school opening.

Right now, the MVC public schools like Murray St as a member, but the private schools can’t agree an another member.  St Louis and Dayton have reportedly refused, as the A10 has higher status.

Belmont won’t move to the MVC and Lipscomb doesn’t have enough B.B. history.  Other privates are DII as well, but the MVC won’t take a school directly from DII.

Eventually, the MVC public’s and privates will have to split, as they create so much tension internally, and Augie would have a landing spot.  Or Loyola leaving to the A10 or Big East create another private school must find situation.

USD and SDSU may just create their own mbb destruction.

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Maybe, just maybe, the MVC private schools have reached out to Augie and inquired about their “later”, after they have been DI for several years.  The Sanford Arena is a perfect MVC mbb spot.

Augie would fit their private school profile, as the MVC is currently limited in selections to Detroit and Oral Roberts.  Sioux Falls says MVC city, unlike Vermillion and Brookings.  If Sanford gives them a major endowment, their case is a slam dunk when there is an private school opening.

Right now, the MVC public schools like Murray St as a member, but the private schools can’t agree an another member.  St Louis and Dayton have reportedly refused, as the A10 has higher status.

Belmont won’t move to the MVC and Lipscomb doesn’t have enough B.B. history.  Other privates are DII as well, but the MVC won’t take a school directly from DII.

Eventually, the MVC public’s and privates will have to split, as they create so much tension internally, and Augie would have a landing spot.  Or Loyola leaving to the A10 or Big East create another private school must find situation.

USD and SDSU may just create their own mbb destruction.

I would agree we are seeding our own destruction except you predicated Augie landing in the Valley on a MVC public/private split.  If that split where to happen where would those MVC publics go?  Probably to turn the MVFC into an all-sports conference.  In that case USD and SDSU are now in a league with UNI, ISUb, ISUr, MSU, etc.  I would take the public side of the MVC over the private side any day of the week.  Augie can have the private side, the public side of the MVC would make the more prestigious conference.

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

I would agree we are seeding our own destruction except you predicated Augie landing in the Valley on a MVC public/private split.  If that split where to happen where would those MVC publics go?  Probably to turn the MVFC into an all-sports conference.  In that case USD and SDSU are now in a league with UNI, ISUb, ISUr, MSU, etc.  I would take the public side of the MVC over the private side any day of the week.  Augie can have the private side, the public side of the MVC would make the more prestigious conference.

Never said the MVC WILL split as 100% likely, but a split possibility is more like 20% in 10years.  If talking eternity, nearly a 100% chance.  I deal in risk, which is not an up or down answer, as many posters here think.  There are not many private schools that the MVC can nab:  maybe Detroit, Lipscomb, Denver, but the major targets like Dayton, Belmont, and  St Louis have already firmly said no.

But Augie could still get a MVC invite without a split, if say Loyola was offered a Big East or A10 position, several years from now.  Loyola is a better institution than DePaul in some areas, and the BE could have two Chicago schools.  The MVC won’t take a new DII moveup, but they will take a private which has DI years under its belt and has a large Sanford Center arena to play in.  That is what the privates want, and they get half the votes and demand that their votes not get diluted.

Dont really care how USD and SDSU play this.  I recognize that those two schools are much more enamored by the MVC, but I think the Montanas and Idaho and NDSU are who we should align ourselves with.  Ind St and S Illinois have bleak futures if things don’t change there.

• 1 month later...

Reading that article, is that the announcement that Augie is going D1?  I ask because I guess I must have missed the announcement where they officially announced their transition to Division 1.  I know that they have talked about it, studied it, etc., but did not know they announced it.  So has it just been assumed and therefore it is?

2 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Reading that article, is that the announcement that Augie is going D1?  I ask because I guess I must have missed the announcement where they officially announced their transition to Division 1.  I know that they have talked about it, studied it, etc., but did not know they announced it.  So has it just been assumed and therefore it is?

Too many returns at the end of your post.
Yes, Augie has yet some tough choices to make, but Sanford is helping.

2 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Only a Summit announcement will make it official.  The NCAA requires a D1 conference to sponsor a DII and take them.