SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - University of Northern Colorado Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

On 10/1/2018 at 5:14 PM, jdub27 said:

Not sure what you saw on Zim last year, likely a stronger arm than Keaton but KS was the better QB and I'm not sure its that close. As for the "coach speak" it is what it is, I've heard it wasn't ever really that close but no reason to declare a starter before you have to.

Thought 77 did a good job out at UW, but he was definitely gassed in the 3rd and 4th (not blaming him, he played a lot of reps against some big guys). Didn't pay attention to what the rotation (or lack of one) but to say 92 hasn't earned the starting role and more reps is a bit much. They'll both be needed going forward, defense wasn't on the field a whole lot Saturday, guys were fresh.

It wasn't just what the coaches were saying, but guys who were going to the practices.  Last year when Zim came in, I had just sat back down in front of the tv to watch the second half.  Didn't immediately notice the qb change, but within the first set of downs, I said who is this kid.  Zim had very good footwork in the pocket, was scanning the entire secondary looking for open recievers, and dropping balls into spots.  Looked like a totally different offense to me.  Studs was definately a good leader, very tough, pretty good runner, but not smooth in the pocket with his footwork, and sometimes had trouble with screens and short throws.  Often locked into his primary reciever just like Ketteringham is doing this year.  My only point is unless one guy is heads and shoulders better than another, get him in the game and see what he does real time. Some guys play better in game situations than they practice as we know.

Regarding 77, some guys physically mature at different times.  Greer has gotten bigger and stronger the last couple of years.  Take a look at his play last year against Utah and this year against Washington.  He was all they could handle against offensive linemen from big time programs.  He is consistently pushing double teams back into the pocket, and I'm not seeing anything special out of Tank this year or last, so get him equal game time reps and see what happens.   

Also, I posted some comments about 97 Morrision playing out of position.  Watched the few reps he got last week, and I stick to my earlier comments.  That said, he has good feet and runs well, nice stride for a big guy.  Wonder what he would look like in a little more space, either on the edge or in the middle at the second level.  That kid looks like an athlete, and if I were King, I would move him around a little and see how he looks.  Unfortunately, the coaching staff sold everyone and themselves that he's a NG, and they once that take a position on a player or scheme, that's it.  I just hope he doesn't loose his ju ju getting the !@#$ beat out of him by 300+ linemen in the middle. 

Go Hawks!

1 hour ago, ep92501 said:

It wasn't just what the coaches were saying, but guys who were going to the practices.  Last year when Zim came in, I had just sat back down in front of the tv to watch the second half.  Didn't immediately notice the qb change, but within the first set of downs, I said who is this kid.  Zim had very good footwork in the pocket, was scanning the entire secondary looking for open recievers, and dropping balls into spots.  Looked like a totally different offense to me.  Studs was definately a good leader, very tough, pretty good runner, but not smooth in the pocket with his footwork, and sometimes had trouble with screens and short throws.  Often locked into his primary reciever just like Ketteringham is doing this year.  My only point is unless one guy is heads and shoulders better than another, get him in the game and see what he does real time. Some guys play better in game situations than they practice as we know.

Regarding 77, some guys physically mature at different times.  Greer has gotten bigger and stronger the last couple of years.  Take a look at his play last year against Utah and this year against Washington.  He was all they could handle against offensive linemen from big time programs.  He is consistently pushing double teams back into the pocket, and I'm not seeing anything special out of Tank this year or last, so get him equal game time reps and see what happens.   

Also, I posted some comments about 97 Morrision playing out of position.  Watched the few reps he got last week, and I stick to my earlier comments.  That said, he has good feet and runs well, nice stride for a big guy.  Wonder what he would look like in a little more space, either on the edge or in the middle at the second level.  That kid looks like an athlete, and if I were King, I would move him around a little and see how he looks.  Unfortunately, the coaching staff sold everyone and themselves that he's a NG, and they once that take a position on a player or scheme, that's it.  I just hope he doesn't loose his ju ju getting the !@#$ beat out of him by 300+ linemen in the middle. 

Go Hawks!

Hergel should move to NG. He could wreck people there.

9 hours ago, shep said:
  1. How about Cloyd moving to DE?  Got the size of Bennett and some speed.

Taking away players from an offense that already is anemic as can be would not be a good idea. If anything, the UND offense should gain players from the defensive side of the ball. 

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Does the Big Sky still have archived games to watch online?  I'm not finding it.

You can watch UND games on UNDSports website. Think they have all of them on this year where in years past I think they only had home games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Taking away players from an offense that already is anemic as can be would not be a good idea. If anything, the UND offense should gain players from the defensive side of the ball. 

In all honesty, I agree with Mike Leach that the old 50% run and 50% pass isn't balanced.  2018 called, balance is the ball distributed among your best play-makers.  

“There’s nothing balanced about 50% run-50% pass, ’cause that’s 50% stupid. What is balance is when you have five skill positions and all five of them are contributing to the effort in somewhat equal fashion — that’s balance. This notion that if you hand one guy 50% of the time and then you throw it to a combination of two guys the other 50% that you’re really balanced. You probably pat yourself on the back and tell yourself that. People have been doing that for decades. Well, then you’re delusional.”

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

An interesting quote below.  I didn't know that was possible.  I thought the offense was the offense and the players need to figure it out. 

The stunning improvement is the result of second-year coach Rob Phenicie shifting the offensive philosophy around his personnel.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181004101247447276504&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

An interesting quote below.  I didn't know that was possible.  I thought the offense was the offense and the players need to figure it out. 

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20181004101247447276504&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

South Dakota State also seems to have figured out the magical formula of adjusting its offense to its personnel.

• Upvote 2

I didn't get to watch the game on Saturday, but after watching this morning, there are definitely still a lot of things for UND to work on.  UNC is a BAD team, so our offense being successful against them doesn't do much for me.  It's what we've seen the last five years under Rudy.  When we're bigger, stronger, faster, and better than the opponent, our style is successful.  When facing a competent opponent, we struggle.  The O scored 3 points in the 1st and 3rd quarters combined against a very bad team.  As for the defense, the rushing D was gashed up the middle regardless of who was in at nose.  Very concerning that a D set up to stop the run and leave it's CBs on islands cant stop the run.  Kick coverage was awful again as well.

I hate to join resident debbie downers, and it's great to win, but unfortunately I'm not feeling optimistic about the rest of the season.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I didn't get to watch the game on Saturday, but after watching this morning, there are definitely still a lot of things for UND to work on.  UNC is a BAD team, so our offense being successful against them doesn't do much for me.  It's what we've seen the last five years under Rudy.  When we're bigger, stronger, faster, and better than the opponent, our style is successful.  When facing a competent opponent, we struggle.  The O scored 3 points in the 1st and 3rd quarters combined against a very bad team.  As for the defense, the rushing D was gashed up the middle regardless of who was in at nose.  Very concerning that a D set up to stop the run and leave it's CBs on islands cant stop the run.  Kick coverage was awful again as well.

I hate to join resident debbie downers, and it's great to win, but unfortunately I'm not feeling optimistic about the rest of the season.

The third quarter was once again brutal. We played maybe margainaly better than against ISU

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

D gave up most of the yards on two drives, one of which was long after the game had been decided and starters were watching.