SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - University of Northern Colorado Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

D gave up most of the yards on two drives, one of which was long after the game had been decided and starters were watching.

The rushing D was pretty consistently bad.  For some reason UNC kept trying to pass.

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

D gave up most of the yards on two drives, one of which was long after the game had been decided and starters were watching.

120 yards to that point but there were too many times where we didn’t touch a runningback till he had 6 yards. The pass defense was really good though.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

The O scored 3 points in the 1st and 3rd quarters combined against a very bad team. 

Not much excuse for the 3rd quarter, which is an ongoing problem, but I'll give them a pass on the 1st quarter. UND started with an 8+ minute that ended in a field goal instead of a TD mainly due to a snap that went over NK's head on 1st and 10 from the 15. Second drive went nowhere. The third drive was derailed by a 15 yard OPI on JJ. The quarter ended with UND getting the ball back on the 8 from a muffed punt and followed up with a score a minute into the 2nd quarter. Not perfect, but a couple execution errors (bad snap, OPI) that things that are fixable.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Not much excuse for the 3rd quarter, which is an ongoing problem, but I'll give them a pass on the 1st quarter. UND started with an 8+ minute that ended in a field goal instead of a TD mainly due to a snap that went over NK's head on 1st and 10 from the 15. Second drive went nowhere. The third drive was derailed by a 15 yard OPI on JJ. The quarter ended with UND getting the ball back on the 8 from a muffed punt and followed up with a score a minute into the 2nd quarter. Not perfect, but a couple execution errors (bad snap, OPI) that things that are easily fixable.

The only reason the first drive lasted that long was thanks to a really bad spot on I believe the first 3rd down.  Officials also inexplicably picked up the flag on an OPI because they said the block occurred at the line of scrimmage.  It was 8-10 yards downfield.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I didn't get to watch the game on Saturday, but after watching this morning, there are definitely still a lot of things for UND to work on.  UNC is a BAD team, so our offense being successful against them doesn't do much for me.  It's what we've seen the last five years under Rudy.  When we're bigger, stronger, faster, and better than the opponent, our style is successful.  When facing a competent opponent, we struggle.  The O scored 3 points in the 1st and 3rd quarters combined against a very bad team.  As for the defense, the rushing D was gashed up the middle regardless of who was in at nose.  Very concerning that a D set up to stop the run and leave it's CBs on islands cant stop the run.  Kick coverage was awful again as well.

I hate to join resident debbie downers, and it's great to win, but unfortunately I'm not feeling optimistic about the rest of the season.

Exactly this!!  We are a blueprint for a bubble play-off team.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I didn't get to watch the game on Saturday, but after watching this morning, there are definitely still a lot of things for UND to work on.  UNC is a BAD team, so our offense being successful against them doesn't do much for me.  It's what we've seen the last five years under Rudy.  When we're bigger, stronger, faster, and better than the opponent, our style is successful.  When facing a competent opponent, we struggle.  The O scored 3 points in the 1st and 3rd quarters combined against a very bad team.  As for the defense, the rushing D was gashed up the middle regardless of who was in at nose.  Very concerning that a D set up to stop the run and leave it's CBs on islands cant stop the run.  Kick coverage was awful again as well.

I hate to join resident debbie downers, and it's great to win, but unfortunately I'm not feeling optimistic about the rest of the season.

Not totally disagreeing with you that we have a lot of things to work on, but I believe they were only down 7 in the 4th Quarter against #6 Weber.  Weber must really suck if only ahead by 7 going into 4th Quarter at home against UNC.   If we beat Montana next week, I'm sure some will say Montana isn't that good.  Just beat who is on your schedule.  I think it's possible we could lose 3 more games this year.....I also think it's possible that we only drop one more, and really I think it is possible that we could win all of the remaining games on our schedule.  I don't think that will happen though, I'm sure we will stumble at least once as we do not consistently play well and special teams are super iffy.  I stopped doing predictions each week on this team because one thing I learned is,  I have no clue what is going to actually happen come game time with this team recently.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sioux94 said:

Not totally disagreeing with you that we have a lot of things to work on, but I believe they were only down 7 in the 4th Quarter against #6 Weber.  Weber must really suck if only ahead by 7 going into 4th Quarter at home against UNC.   If we beat Montana next week, I'm sure some will say Montana isn't that good.  Just beat who is on your schedule.  I think it's possible we could lose 3 more games this year.....I also think it's possible that we only drop one more, and really I think it is possible that we could win all of the remaining games on our schedule.  I don't think that will happen though, I'm sure we will stumble at least once as we do not consistently play well and special teams are super iffy.  I stopped doing predictions each week on this team because one thing I learned is,  I have no clue what is going to actually happen come game time with this team recently.  

And I guess to add to that, similar to what someone else said right after the UNC win........the UNC win was a nice comfortable win, we dominated all of the stats.....we did make a number of errors though, but even with a good win where the game was never really in doubt......I didn't get totally excited, I need to see more.   I need to see us give it to Montana next week before I am truly excited.  I do have a little optimism after the UNC win......but am I excited excited......no....not yet.  

14 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

6.8 ypc to a winless team.........

And a misleading stat without any context. What hurts a team more, giving up running yards of giving up lots of passing yards? 

The D limited the offense to 116 passing yards and only 17 in the first half.  

Edit: where did the 6.8 ypc come from? Not including qb carries, UNC had 113 on 20 carries for a 5.65 avg.  

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

They had 17 yards passing at half.  How did their game plan work out?  They need to pass to win games.  

Exactly, I will take our defensive performance last week any day of the year.  They had 140 yards of offense and 7 points with 3 minutes left in the game, they got 60 yards on the last drive against the second string.  

9 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Exactly, I will take our defensive performance last week any day of the year.  They had 140 yards of offense and 7 points with 3 minutes left in the game, they got 60 yards on the last drive against the second string.  

With all of their starters in.

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

And I guess to add to that, similar to what someone else said right after the UNC win........the UNC win was a nice comfortable win, we dominated all of the stats.....we did make a number of errors though, but even with a good win where the game was never really in doubt......I didn't get totally excited, I need to see more.   I need to see us give it to Montana next week before I am truly excited.  I do have a little optimism after the UNC win......but am I excited excited......no....not yet.  

I think this is probably a common theme among UND Football fans, I'm in the same boat. That ISU loss really stung and took all the momentum from the Sam Houston win. I was thinking about this as well, I'm in neutral right now, cautiously optimistic. Montana is a must win for the program, at home after a bye week. If they can get that done, you'll start to feel the enthusiasm again, going into the Sac State game, IF they win that one, I think this fan base will be back to where they were after Sam Houston going into Weber State. One week at a time, but they need to be in playoff mode right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mooncountry said:

6.8 ypc to a winless team.........

I've been shocked with the run defense the last two games, especially after what they showed, basically shutting down Washington who's a legitimate Top 10 team in the country and also playing very well against Sam Houston. The first half against Idaho State was like watching last years bunch and the UNC game they were able to run as well. It's puzzling for sure. If they get that fixed, with the way the secondary is playing, this defense could be pretty close to lights out. 

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

They had 17 yards passing at half.  How did their game plan work out?  They need to pass to win games.  

I simply said I'm concerned with our run D getting gashed up the middle and cited a bad looking stat to confirm my reason for worry. You'll get no argument from me that UNC was incapable of passing the ball, but kept trying to for some reason. 

Watching the game now (thanks for the link). On the play before the high snap, Oliviera has a shot at a wide open field to his left, but instead lowers his head to plow forward for about 4 yards. In second quarter, same thing. He dives into the pile, and while he's a load to take down, he just needs to head toward the sideline and he'd be home free.

On 10/4/2018 at 10:46 AM, UNDBIZ said:

The rushing D was pretty consistently bad.  For some reason UNC kept trying to pass.

Watched the first half last night and you are right.  UNC got good yardage almost every time they ran the ball in the first half they should have stuck with that, for some reason they kept trying to pass and were inept at it against us.   Montana is supposedly more balanced 50/50 run/pass with their new staff....I'm sure they will take notice of Idaho State and UNC rushing the ball pretty successfully on us.  I think we are more capable of stopping the run than we showed but we will see.  Hopefully Schmidt will have them ready to go and a good game plan in place for Montana.