SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - University of Northern Colorado Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Second Half Summary:

UND scores 14 points in 2nd half; Northern Colorado scores 6 points. UND won the second half, but as has been the trend this season, the second half was far uglier than the first half. 

Positives:

- Defense did their job to start 3rd quarter. They continually got stops. Good job with second half adjustments and coming out ready to play.

- Runningbacks Oliviera and James Johannesson both ran hard and with good vision in the second half. Nice job by those two running the ball. 

- Nice to see receiver Cam McKinney get involved some in the running game with jet sweeps; he has the speed to make it work well and compliment the inside the running game.

- Defense applied good pressure throughout second half. Nice to see interception from safety Jordan Canady. 

- Only one completion in the second half but it was a nice throw by Ketteringham and nice catch by Toivonen on third down to keep drive alive.

- Very nice punt and punt coverage in 4th quarter to down ball inside the 10 yard line to back up UNC (ball downed at 8 yard line).

- Nice to see good effort from true freshman runningback Otis Weah; he scored a touchdown on a nice physical run today. 

Negatives:

- PENALTIES ALL GAME! In second half, false start on OL Nathan Nguon on second and short is not acceptable. 

- I don't like the toss play on third and short; use James Johannesson downhill, not out wide with toss. 

- Poor throw by Ketteringham on quick out route on 3rd and 1; also interception that was batted by defensive lineman was poor. Can't have turnovers when trying to put the other team away! Same thing happened last week against Idaho State. This UND team needs to develop better killer instinct.

- Defense did not play well following the second half UND turnover (interception). The defense has been particularly susceptible on the ground following turnovers. UND needs to not turn ball over but defense also needs to be ready to go and be more stout against inside running game. 

- Scoreless 3rd quarter was not ideal.

- Poor defensive effort by UND with backups in during final UNC drive; they gave up a TD to UNC. Nice to see UND 2nd stringers stop the 2 point conversion though. 

Was listening to this on the radio and was wondering why the h#$% you would call that play there. Then I remembered who our OC is and made sense.

I don't mind throwing it on 3rd and 1 sometimes. It would have worked perfectly as the receiver was wide open and would have had many yards after the catch but Kettrringam threw the three yard pass into the ground.

Iirc, they did run it on 3rd and 1 after that...and didn't convert.

On 9/29/2018 at 1:56 PM, gfhockey said:

Personal foul on Und what a boneheaded move on Ketteringham 

Did you see what he did? I missed that play, or they didn't show him. What happened? I mean, I kinda like that our QB gets a PF once in a while... but was it deserved?

On 9/29/2018 at 2:22 PM, Cratter said:

Wait, you don't have to kneel the ball when you get the ball with 30 only seconds left in the half?!

The words of what must be a long-suffering Vikings fan right there, folks... Holy crap - that's almost 10 years ago already!

5 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

The words of what must be a long-suffering Vikings fan right there, folks... Holy crap - that's almost 10 years ago already!

I would say you must be that Vikings fan because I have no idea what you're talking about let alone the year! :lol:

It was in reference to UNC going for a score, and having witness Bubba in very similar situations almost always just kneeling it and going into halftime.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2018 at 9:44 PM, UND1983 said:

Right cuz the coaches purposely play the worse guy.

These coaches are notorious for picking a player a staying with him no matter how the circumstances change.  I've commented on this before.  They did it last year with Studs after Zim came in and did things Studs was never capable of doing.  They are doing it again this year with Ketteringham.  His play has been below average all year.  Everyone, including the coaching staff, said it was almost too close to call after the spring and fall.  Why would you not give Zim a shot and see what he can do in a game?  Shake things up a little and get guys competing.  Nothing to lose and evertying to gain.

Regarding Greer, SJG had it right earlier.  Just look at the tape, one play at a time, and focus on the NG.  Greer is consistently pushing his doubleteams back into the pocket making the QB uncomfortable and providing opportunities for our edge guys to chase the QB down.  He is clearly much stronger than Tank.  Look what he did in the Washington game, and the coaches come right back next game and start 92.  At an absolute minimum, 77 and 92 should split the reps, then break the film down and grade each performance.  

41 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I would say you must be that Vikings fan because I have no idea what you're talking about let alone the year! :lol:

It was in reference to UNC going for a score, and having witness Bubba in very similar situations almost always just kneeling it and going into halftime.

My mistake and apologies for the assumption. And yes, I am an LSVF (long-suffering Viking fan), and your take a knee comment "triggered" me to the 1998 NFC Championship game:

"For the few Vikings fans who need reminding: Minnesota and Atlanta were tied 27-27 late in the NFC Championship Game following the 1998 season. Facing a third-and-3 at the Vikings’ own 27-yard line with 30 seconds remaining, Green ordered quarterback Randall Cunningham to kneel, run out the clock and head to overtime. Atlanta won 30-27."

Quoted from: StarTrib: Taking a Knee

But I digress... sorry for taking us way off topic! Go Hawks!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ep92501 said:

These coaches are notorious for picking a player a staying with him no matter how the circumstances change.  I've commented on this before.  They did it last year with Studs after Zim came in and did things Studs was never capable of doing.  They are doing it again this year with Ketteringham.  His play has been below average all year.  Everyone, including the coaching staff, said it was almost too close to call after the spring and fall.  Why would you not give Zim a shot and see what he can do in a game?  Shake things up a little and get guys competing.  Nothing to lose and evertying to gain.

Regarding Greer, SJG had it right earlier.  Just look at the tape, one play at a time, and focus on the NG.  Greer is consistently pushing his doubleteams back into the pocket making the QB uncomfortable and providing opportunities for our edge guys to chase the QB down.  He is clearly much stronger than Tank.  Look what he did in the Washington game, and the coaches come right back next game and start 92.  At an absolute minimum, 77 and 92 should split the reps, then break the film down and grade each performance.  

Not sure what you saw on Zim last year, likely a stronger arm than Keaton but KS was the better QB and I'm not sure its that close. As for the "coach speak" it is what it is, I've heard it wasn't ever really that close but no reason to declare a starter before you have to.

Thought 77 did a good job out at UW, but he was definitely gassed in the 3rd and 4th (not blaming him, he played a lot of reps against some big guys). Didn't pay attention to what the rotation (or lack of one) but to say 92 hasn't earned the starting role and more reps is a bit much. They'll both be needed going forward, defense wasn't on the field a whole lot Saturday, guys were fresh.

3 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Did you see what he did? I missed that play, or they didn't show him. What happened? I mean, I kinda like that our QB gets a PF once in a while... but was it deserved?

He jumped the pile to push the runner forward. I thought it was a really close call, but I loved seeing our QB do that. Plus, he got involved in a scrum after he was going for the tackle on the Int. A guy on their team was called for a penalty.

• Upvote 1