SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- Idaho State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

Lots of blame to go around tonight - offense, defense, players, coaches, quarterback, receivers, etc.  My biggest fear of this game came true - underwhelm your biggest home crowd of the season.  This program sure knows how to kill momentum.  It will take several games to get this one back, if it even can happen this season.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, shep said:

He will be approached at season's end with a choice-make staff changes or the whole staff will be changed.

I hope not, if he’s forced to make a decision. Bad things will only come of that. If the AD meets with a coach about what needs to be changed and he doesn’t like it. He’s the one that should make the change. If the coach doesn’t want to make a change the chances are his new choice won’t be better or won’t have a chemistry with the other coaches. 

Just now, bang said:

I hope not, if he’s forced to make a decision. Bad things will only come of that. If the AD meets with a coach about what needs to be changed and he doesn’t like it. He’s the one that should make the change. If the coach doesn’t want to make a change the chances are his new choice won’t be better or won’t have a chemistry with the other coaches. 

But it seems to play out that way for lots of coaches. 

18 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is the worst; it’s become the absolute norm for UND under Bubba.Tom Miller’s article sort of predicted this would happen. The mental make-up of Bubba’s teams is lacking and it leads to no consistency.

UND 360 wrote an entire article recapping what happened in 2015 in this same spot.  Unreal

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Unds “big” win, Sam Houston, going to lose two in a row.  

Unds D though not perfect....is capable of making  adjustments. 

Unds O is simply embarrassing.  FIVE YEARS OF !@#$!!!! Has been and always will be under Rudy ....

The worst call of the game goes to Schmidt, the last TD ISU scored was because he blitz the house.  It isn't a video game!  I do think you take some chances in a game but not like that at that point in the game.  

• Like 2

Well. That is what I would call an enthusiasm robbing loss.

The last 2 games we have actually had a pretty decent game plan coming out of the locker room at the beginning of the game....then halftime comes and as is normal all teams make adjustments that they hope will work in the second half. In watching UND the last 2 games it seems like we are willing to just concede that whatever defensive changes our opponent has made at halftime are going to work for them  and we go away from what worked in the first half without actually making them prove that their changes are going to be effective.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

After the second half against SHSU, I can give Schmidt a bit longer of a leash than Rudy.

Defense wasn't good in stretches today, but it ain't close to the offensive issues this team has.

How will it get better next year without Santiago and Brady?  Guess it can't get much worse. 

The D gave up over 350 yards in the first half and the offense actually played keep away for a good part of the half.  The Defense was better in the 2nd half but flat out sucked in the first.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BigGame said:

The D gave up over 350 yards in the first half and the offense actually played keep away for a good part of the half.  The Defense was better in the 2nd half but flat out sucked in the first.  

And the best D in the first half was the crowd which caused penalties that kept them from scoring TD's on 2 possessions and instead they had to settle for FG's. 

The D never gets critiqued. It's all Rudy. That's wrong. IF and I know it's a big IF, Kett doesn't F up a handoff to Oliviera, it's 21-6. Instead, immediately after, ONE RB goes 80 yards in 3 plays and it's a new game. 

80 YARDS IN THREE PLAYS. ONE RB. SAME PLAY EACH TIME!!! 

But it's Rudy's fault.

I think in general we are be over dramatic about the situation.  It wasn't a good game for UND overall but the sky isn't falling just yet.  

2 minutes ago, shep said:

And the best D in the first half was the crowd which caused penalties that kept them from scoring TD's on 2 possessions and instead they had to settle for FG's. 

The D never gets critiqued. It's all Rudy. That's wrong. IF and I know it's a big IF, Kett doesn't F up a handoff to Oliviera, it's 21-6. Instead, immediately after, ONE RB goes 80 yards in 3 plays and it's a new game. 

80 YARDS IN THREE PLAYS. ONE RB. SAME PLAY EACH TIME!!! 

But it's Rudy's fault.

Rudy has his issues, but he was far from the biggest issue today.   I can't figure out why Schmidt always gets a pass considering the team is defense focused and he gets the bulk of the player talent to work with.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BigGame said:

The worst call of the game goes to Schmidt, the last TD ISU scored was because he blitz the house.  It isn't a video game!  I do think you take some chances in a game but not like that at that point in the game.  

That’s why I like the D....they take chances.  Taking chances is a risk. Risking is being aggressive. Being aggressive shows the fans you want to do what it takes to win. Winning is why they play 

Sometimes you will “eat it” with being aggressive but it beats being conservative and non adjusting like the bore that is Rudy ball.  

FIVE FUNKING YEARS!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Longtime fan said:

That’s why I like the D....they take chances.  Taking chances is a risk. Risking is being aggressive. Being aggressive shows the fans you want to do what it takes to win. Winning is why they play 

Sometimes you will “eat it” with being aggressive but it beats being conservative and non adjusting like the bore that is Rudy ball.  

Who is Rudy supposed to be aggressive with? The WR's who can't get separation or the ones who can't catch passes? Or should he be aggressive with a QB who is often running for his life?

I read a post in which someone said that he should have just ran the ball in the 4th. Great. When that wouldn't work we'd have had 90 percent of the posters say he ran the ball too much. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Longtime fan said:

The problem I have is the double standard, Schmidt gets a pass for everything and it is the exact opposite for Rudy.  I get taking chances but that call in the that situation was just stupid and it is the reason ISU scored.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

You should try supporting a winner too.  Maybe you wouldn't be so bitter.  

This is the mindset I hate. I will always support this football team. Also most of us support UND hockey(not as much as football but still support) and are just bitter about the football program

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, BigGame said:

If the kid makes the tackle like he's supposed to that play only goes for ten yards.  

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

If the kid makes the tackle like he's supposed to that play only goes for ten yards.  

And if kids make catches, and if Oliviera gets his feet under him in the endzone it's a TD and if the line gives Kett a bit more time the play works, and if Santiago or Oliviera don't get tripped at the line of scrimmage and if …

How many times did their QB break tackles to get extra yards. TACKLING would seem to me, to be THE first thing a D coordinator focuses on? 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I agree. We ran that blitz a few times and it worked great. If 3 guys make the tackle we aren’t talking about that play. 

I do agree the first half we were lost on defense. Just by alignment they had us. They had a blocker for every guy we had in in the box. The running back doesn’t have to be great to get yards when that is the case. Even with the sets they got us in...it was our lack of effort that killed us the most. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He wasn't even in position to make the tackle because sometimes players on the other team are good and get the best of one on one situations.  So in general you should try not to leave your secondary players on an island all the time because one missed or broken tackle often will be a long play or TD.  It was a horrible call at that point in the game!