SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- Idaho State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

So what does Rudy do about the QB situation?   IMO he almost has to stay with Ket for the time being just because we've pretty much built our season around him.    I will say I've been disappointed in Ket for the last few games but feel switching horses now gains us nothing.    Boltman hopefully is the future of this team but is he ready now?

1 minute ago, siouxfb said:

I agree. We ran that blitz a few times and it worked great. If 3 guys make the tackle we aren’t talking about that play. 

I do agree the first half we were lost on defense. Just by alignment they had us. They had a blocker for every guy we had in in the box. The running back doesn’t have to be great to get yards when that is the case. Even with the sets they got us in...it was our lack of effort that killed us the most. 

It's the alignment that concerned me. Over and over again, we stuck with it for NO GOOD reason except that was the game plan.

Just now, BigGame said:

He wasn't even in position to make the tackle because sometimes players on the other team are good and get the best of one on one situations.  So in general you should try not to leave your secondary players on an island all the time because one missed or broken tackle often will be a long play or TD.  It was a horrible call at that point in the game!

I'm talking the second player who came in and the guy hurdled because he tried to go low.  Just watched the replay.  Our guy stands him up and it's a big gain, not a TD because the guy just hurdled him. 

1 minute ago, siouxfb said:

I agree. We ran that blitz a few times and it worked great. If 3 guys make the tackle we aren’t talking about that play. 

I do agree the first half we were lost on defense. Just by alignment they had us. They had a blocker for every guy we had in in the box. The running back doesn’t have to be great to get yards when that is the case. Even with the sets they got us in...it was our lack of effort that killed us the most. 

He didn't blitz one or two extra guys though, I haven't looked back at it but when the play started my thought was what the f is he doing.  

It's OK though, he should get a pass on the terrible call.  Probably the entire first half of bad called as well.   Double Standard!

5 minutes ago, shep said:

And if kids make catches, and if Oliviera gets his feet under him in the endzone it's a TD and if the line gives Kett a bit more time the play works, and if Santiago or Oliviera don't get tripped at the line of scrimmage and if …

How many times did their QB break tackles to get extra yards. TACKLING would seem to me, to be THE first thing a D coordinator focuses on? 

I agree.  Tackling was very poor today, which showed on that winning TD, and other plays. 

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You guys forgetting about the safety that came flying over and dove at Guellers feet, got leapfrogged, then Gueller took off up the field for a touchdown.  Deion was one part, safety was supposed to clean it up though

You don't live at their feet in the open field.  

This is what I was saying. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

So what does Rudy do about the QB situation?   IMO he almost has to stay with Ket for the time being just because we've pretty much built our season around him.    I will say I've been disappointed in Ket for the last few games but feel switching horses now gains us nothing.    Boltman hopefully is the future of this team but is he ready now?

I think he needs to find a QB willing to run a little bit when the play isn't open.  Kett can do it, but seems to stop running the deeper we get into the game.  In the 3rd quarter he could have made a couple first downs with his legs and didn't.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, BigGame said:

I think he needs to find a QB willing to run a little bit when the play isn't open.  Kett can do it, but seems to stop running the deeper we get into the game.  In the 3rd quarter he could have made a couple first downs with his legs and didn't.  

Though he made a really nice run before the Oliviera/Kett mishandled handoff in the first half.

1 minute ago, BigGame said:

He didn't blitz one or two extra guys though, I haven't looked back at it but when the play started my thought was what the f is he doing.  

It's OK though, he should get a pass on the terrible call.  Probably the entire first half of bad called as well.   Double Standard!

I don’t think I’m giving him a pass. He brought the safety several times today and I was nervous each time. Today It usually worked. If the safety knocks the ball down again or causes a high throw it was a great call. If the three guys make the tackle who are still out there it isn’t a td. 

10 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

This is the mindset I hate. I will always support this football team. Also most of us support UND hockey(not as much as football but still support) and are just bitter about the football program

No, like 90% of this town I'm just apathetic about the football program outside of tailgating.  Maybe Chaves will make the necessary changes......but he hasn't yet and until then it will continue to be two small steps forward and one big step back.

• Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I think you're on to something here. He doesn't improvise much. When the pass isn't there he needs to know when to tuck and run. 

Your QB is the leader of the entire offense. He literally should be your best offensive player. Having an "OK" qb leads to an "OK" overall season record.

Relying on a transfer from a conference foes (2-9 his last season playing at Sacramento State) qb shows a lack of recruitment and development at that position.

8 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Kett needs to stop throwing off his back foot. It stated last week and showed up again on several throws today. He doesn’t have a strong enough arm to get away with it. I think he’ll be fine but needs to work on this. 

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

@SiouxVolley

So does this mean Kennedy holds off until Tuesday morning on the big FBS announcement?

UND goes FBS when NDSU does.  Pretty simple. 

A couple of years ago, FBS North Texas got absolutely pummeled by Portland St.  Now they still are unbeaten, with a beat down win against Arkansas.

Nicholls St beat Sam Houston by 20.  Sammy was not at all deserving of a #5 ranking but just was ranked on precedence.  Idaho St had a much better defense than I was expecting.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Just watch the safety on that TD play.  Bad call or not by Schmidt that DI safety has got to make that tackle.

Defense wasn't good, offense wasn't good.  Collection of plays on all sides cost them the game.

And yes, we are all very hard on Rudy. :lol:

5 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

No, like 90% of this town I'm just apathetic about the football program outside of tailgating.  Maybe Chaves will make the necessary changes......but he hasn't yet and until then it will continue to be two small steps forward and one big step back.

Sorry didn’t clarify. I meant people on the football forum, not the town of gf. Obviously a lot of people in grand forks don’t care about UND football.

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I think you're on to something here. He doesn't improvise much. When the pass isn't there he needs to know when to tuck and run. 

You're QB is the leader of the entire offense. He literally should be your best offensive player. Having an "OK" qb leads to an "OK" overall season record.

And that sums up our problem.  An "OK" QB at best.   I think we can all see why he was passed over at Sac State.   We won't be an elite FB team until bubba figures out how to hit a home run when it comes to bringing in quarterbacks.    The OK ones aren't cutting it, someone compared Ket to Mollberg and that's probably a fair assessment.

9 minutes ago, shep said:

Though he made a really nice run before the Oliviera/Kett mishandled handoff in the first half.

That is my point, he has the ability to make plays running and I think he or someone needs to when the WR's aren't open.  In the first half of games he usually has a few decent to good runs but nothing later in the game.