SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- Idaho State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

57 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

but if rudy is calling plays like he did these last couple of years does it really matter if we had at&t stadium in grand forks...nope.

AT&T Stadium would be an upgrade. If UND had better practice facilities and locker rooms they might be able to attract an even better athlete. A defensive and offensive coordinator can only work with what they have. Do you think firing coach Rudolph and bringing in a new guy is going to make much of a difference if you don't change your offensive players is going to make much of a difference? UND is still lacking speed some talent in the receiver corps. 

21 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Chaves is a winner. He’s got big plans for UND.

Something that people need to keep in mind. Chaves didn't hire any of the coaches at UND right now. None of them.

He owes them nothing and all of them should consider themselves on notice.

Produce or you are gone.

I am sick and tired of NDSU getting all the good press while we spin our wheels and look bad doing it.

It's put up or shut up time for Bubba, Jones and Brewster.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

As has been the case under Bubba, our team had no chin. After that fumble we folded it up. That TD pss to Wanzek was a terrible throw and should have been picked. Kett is not good, finally getting to see him throw in person yesterday was underwhelming. His arm isn’t as strong as people were saying. His mechanics are sloppy and leads to bad throws. His decision making is also suspect at times. I would like to see what Zimm would do. The team rallied around him last year. Why not give it a shot this year?

You hit the nail right on the head as to Ketteringham.  He was totally locked in on his primary receiver from the jump.  Telegraphed every throw. The Bengals saw that and adusted in at halftime.  All they had to do was watch his eyes and run to the spot.  Can't cound the number of times he threw straight into double and triple coverage.  Everyone said the competition between him and Zimm was almost too close to call in the spring and fall.  Zimm should be given a chance to see what he can do in a game.  Not expecting he gets a shot though.  This coaching staff makes a decision on a player and puts the blinders on the way they did with Studs last year and some other guys on defense this year.  Switching some guys up and giving them a shot is seen as an admission of making a mistake on their initial decision.  Easier for them to stick their heads in the sand and make excuses.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, BigGame said:

I think of it more locally, recruiting becomes more difficult with our neighbor school having so much success.  It is also more difficult to sell athletes on UND when that same neighbor school is clearly a football first school while UND is clearly a hockey first school.  The athletes do get treated differently.  

It isn't students filling the stadium for UND games, most other schools the students are big portion of the draw.

UND can win a national title but it will take depth and some pretty big talent development.  We are a ways off right now, although we have a few bright spots on the field like Mason Bennett.

This is basically an argument to 1) Drop FB or 2) Drop back down to D-II and join the NSIC. No thank you.

The idea that having a solid, all-around athletic department will somehow "kill the goose that lays the golden eggs" is pure nonsense and not supported by any facts (alternative or otherwise).

A solid, all-around athletic department will lift all programs to greater things.

And I hope Chaves has a plan to get us there. #sickofmediocrity

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is basically an argument to 1) Drop FB or 2) Drop back down to D-II and join the NSIC. No thank you.

The idea that having a solid, all-around athletic department will somehow "kill the goose that lays the golden eggs" is pure nonsense and not supported by any facts (alternative or otherwise).

A solid, all-around athletic department will lift all programs to greater things.

And I hope Chaves has a plan to get us there. #sickofmediocrity

Like I said, he has big plans. The guy is a dreamer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

These are legitimate concerns and, unfortunately, I think you are right. Football was slowly downsized after 2001 and we now are where we are. 

I brought this up in another thread awhile back (the KEM-Kennedy thread) and was told I didn't know what I was talking about. :silly:

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The question is, will DiLorenzo and Kennedy let him execute those big plans? They seem to want to run everything themselves.

They want the entire university to be better. Programs that don't want to be part of one university are being reeled in. I don't think most of the athletic department programs have anything to worry about. 

23 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The question is, will DiLorenzo and Kennedy let him execute those big plans? They seem to want to run everything themselves.

Considering there is some in the fan base that thinks Kennedy cut W Hockey for FB, I don’t see micromanaging coming from 300 Twamley. 

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Anyone see the Vikes game today? How about the Packers game? Talk about a weekend of football to forget. Are their seasons over because get lost to teams they thought they should beat? We need to drop whining about this loss and move on.

Both those performances we're atypical for those teams... It is becoming apparent that this is not atypical for UND football. Something has to change because the team is not getting any better

23 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

How the heck do we beat Sam Houston State in their house, a place they rarely ever lose at, and then have some fat, McDonald's loving guy run up the gut for big yardage untouched over and over and over again in the first half? :angry:

Maddening.

Having said that, I will continue supporting this team and they still can have a good season.

Quite honestly because SHSU is incredibly overrated and has been for a few years. They play in a crap conference and get seeded due to past reputation rather than current records. On a yearly basis only 3 or 4 teams have a real shot at winning it all, however with the way the system works, 20 other teams get into the playoffs as well. So you have mid level teams playing each other with the slightly less crappy teams getting a home field advantage until the quarter/semi finals. Then they run into the top tier teams of that year and get exposed. 

SHSU may be a top 5-10 team.... But there isn't much separating them from anyone else in the 5 to 35 range or so.

• Like 1