SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League MBB

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

How does a brother get good seats for tomorrow night?   Any Coyote or Jackrabbit fans lurking that know of some by chance...

Just go to the ticket office and buy the cheapest ticket they have and then sit wherever you want.  We have been given more tickets then we have bought by SDSU fans.  All of our tickets have been upper deck and we’ve yet to sit up there.  We’ve sat lower deck every game.  Just stay out of parent areas and respect usd/SDSU fans if they actually show up and ask you to move.  There are plenty of good seats not being used

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

WIU fills their open coaching positions.

Rob Jeter, current Gopher assistant and former Milwaukee head coach (184-170 record) gets the gig. 

Not a bad hire. 

Good hire by Western, but you have wonder how thin the ice is for Pitino that Jeter would take the Western job.   Schools is reportedly struggling financially and there is little fan support there.  Not a great job imo, especially with top 4 players leaving.  Jeter will need to work some portal magic.

2 hours ago, Herd said:

Good hire by Western, but you have wonder how thin the ice is for Pitino that Jeter would take the Western job.   Schools is reportedly struggling financially and there is little fan support there.  Not a great job imo, especially with top 4 players leaving.  Jeter will need to work some portal magic.

Still could see if Pyle and Young would come back but yes, they are going to be in a tough spot unless Jeter does strike gold.

I think Pitino is on the hot seat for sure. 

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Humboldt said:

Looks like Augie is going to get a vote. Gotta say that St Thomas makes sense for 10 members but adding Augie as an 11th makes no sense. 

https://letsgodu.com/2020/05/04/augustana-to-receive-a-virtual-tour-and-summit-membership-vote-this-month/

I really don't know what to make of this.  Unless the Summit doesn't think St. Thomas is going to get the immediate approval.

Why 11?  Are you going to play 20 conference games in basketball?

18 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Saw that Cam Hunter of NDSU is transferring.

Curious as to why?

Supposedly a mutual decision. Supposition could be that DR didn't think Cam developed enough and wanted to free up a scholarship, and Cam wanted playing time and realized he wasn't going to get at NDSU next year. I don't follow basketball enough to have an informed opinion, and it seems like the opinions of other NDSU basketball fans are all over the place. Some think Cam was useless; some think his leaving is horrible for the team.

25 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I really don't know what to make of this.  Unless the Summit doesn't think St. Thomas is going to get the immediate approval.

Why 11?  Are you going to play 20 conference games in basketball?

I see three scenarios, but unfortunately there's not enough info out there to figure out which it will be. First, the Summit might have gotten quiet word that the NCAA is going to hold off on allowing St Thomas to move to DI for at least a year or more, and the conference still wants to go to 10 quickly. They figure they might as well grab Augie and then deal with St Thomas later. By that time, maybe WIU will drop out or a 12th candidate will come along to keep things even.

The second and third scenarios both think the site visit and vote are just the conference going through the motions and the decision has already been made. Either the conference doesn't want Augie, in which case the visit is just to appease Sanford/Krabbenhoft. On the flip side, maybe Sanford/Krabbenhoft has put enough pressure on the conference to force them to accept Augie and this vote is just a formality in the opposite direction.

Writing this out made me think of a 4th possibility. Maybe WIU has let the Summit know that they might not be around in a few years and that they should just go ahead and take both Augie and St Thomas to get to 10.

But without more info(that we're not going to get), we just can't make an informed guess.

46 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Supposedly a mutual decision. Supposition could be that DR didn't think Cam developed enough and wanted to free up a scholarship, and Cam wanted playing time and realized he wasn't going to get at NDSU next year. I don't follow basketball enough to have an informed opinion, and it seems like the opinions of other NDSU basketball fans are all over the place. Some think Cam was useless; some think his leaving is horrible for the team.

I see three scenarios, but unfortunately there's not enough info out there to figure out which it will be. First, the Summit might have gotten quiet word that the NCAA is going to hold off on allowing St Thomas to move to DI for at least a year or more, and the conference still wants to go to 10 quickly. They figure they might as well grab Augie and then deal with St Thomas later. By that time, maybe WIU will drop out or a 12th candidate will come along to keep things even.

The second and third scenarios both think the site visit and vote are just the conference going through the motions and the decision has already been made. Either the conference doesn't want Augie, in which case the visit is just to appease Sanford/Krabbenhoft. On the flip side, maybe Sanford/Krabbenhoft has put enough pressure on the conference to force them to accept Augie and this vote is just a formality in the opposite direction.

Writing this out made me think of a 4th possibility. Maybe WIU has let the Summit know that they might not be around in a few years and that they should just go ahead and take both Augie and St Thomas to get to 10.

But without more info(that we're not going to get), we just can't make an informed guess.

Two thoughts

On Cam:  I guess it was good to see they parted ways amicably.  

On Augie:  Truthfully the first scenario you laid out jumped to my mind first, but I could see the other 2 playing out as well. 

9 minutes ago, zonadub said:

#4 seems very plausible. WIU is on pretty shaky footing with what’s going on in Illinois - state finance wise. Add the COVID-19 shutdown to that and their future could be in jeopardy.

This makes sense.

I don't see Augie letting this get to a vote without a strong idea that it is going to happen.  If Augie happens, something is going on with another school (WIU or ORU).  St. Thomas is a lock at some point (2020 or 2021).  Unless another conference comes forward like MVC for St. Thomas. 

On 3/26/2020 at 7:41 AM, Herd said:

Pitino needs to have a good year this next season. He has had ups and downs here and dealt with a lot of bad luck. He is liked by most of the fan base at least compared to previous coaches and has a good relationship with Coyle. He really is a great guy off the court but in the end you gotta produce and the injuries, suspensions, real close losses type reasons only buy you so much time. The main reason Jeter took the Western Illinois job was just that he wanted to be a head coach again. A lot of people questioned why he'd go to that situation and how he'd have to take a pay cut and how will he be able to move up from there but he really just wanted to run his on program again. 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
SUMMIT CONF W-L TOP 25 HOME PF PA STRK
9-3 16-6 0-1 8-1 1762 1600 W3
11-4 14-10 0-0 7-2 1825 1726 W1
11-5 14-11 0-2 6-2 1732 1677 W2
10-5 14-10 0-0 8-3 1961 1810 W3
8-8 9-17 0-0 5-3 1787 1969 L1
7-7 11-13 0-0 8-3 1683 1502 L3
5-9 7-15 0-1 2-5 1606 1746 L3
3-11 5-20 0-2 1-5 1683 1949 L1
1-13 2-19 0-0 2-10 1466 1662 L6

Summit League season ending Standings

On 5/6/2020 at 5:15 PM, SiouxScore said:

Pitino needs to have a good year this next season. He has had ups and downs here and dealt with a lot of bad luck. He is liked by most of the fan base at least compared to previous coaches and has a good relationship with Coyle. He really is a great guy off the court but in the end you gotta produce and the injuries, suspensions, real close losses type reasons only buy you so much time. The main reason Jeter took the Western Illinois job was just that he wanted to be a head coach again. A lot of people questioned why he'd go to that situation and how he'd have to take a pay cut and how will he be able to move up from there but he really just wanted to run his on program again. 

Given what's gone on here in the last month, I don't think Coyle has much of a choice but to part ways barring an unlikely Big Ten tournament run.  Knowing how things run in this state, I'd say Eric Musselman will get the first call.   

2 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Given what's gone on here in the last month, I don't think Coyle has much of a choice but to part ways barring an unlikely Big Ten tournament run.  Knowing how things run in this state, I'd say Eric Musselman will get the first call.   

Yeah I think I put it in the other basketball thread but the beginning of February there is a insider on one of the $$$ Gopher sites that said Pitino would have to win his job. Since that he went like 2-8 down the stretch. Names have been on there for the last month+ and the candidates mentioned are Craig Smith, Niko Medved, and Dennis Gates that seem to be the top 3, there are a few more like Porter Moser and some assistants. A few names missing would seem to be John Belein, Brian Dutcher, and Eric Musselman. It sounds like they probably don't have the $$$$ right now for Musselman and that they are looking for someone younger at least right now than Belein and Dutcher. I'd be pretty happy with Smith or Medved and would love Musselman. Gates seems to be a rising name but not as much sustained success and seems like more of a roll of the dice to me.

Its really strange that USD or SDSU can compete with the ND schools just based on city location alone.

Isn't vermilion like 6 or 7k? Brookings is basically Jamestown...which I love but...not exactly a great college town.

20 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Its really strange that USD or SDSU can compete with the ND schools just based on city location alone.

Isn't vermilion like 6 or 7k? Brookings is basically Jamestown...which I love but...not exactly a great college town.

Vermillion is such a dump. Nice basketball facility down there though. 

22 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

From everything I have heard over the years, Brookings is a great college town. Hobo Days were one great college party regardless of which town.