SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Candidate for UCF President's Job

fightingsioux4life

On 2/15/2018 at 10:14 PM, Cratter said:

If you're UCF, you might think twice before hiring Kennedy knowing he'd bolt when someone offers him more.

If the concern is hiring someone who leaves right away, UCF should probably disband their football team, Cratter...

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Let’s say for the sake of the argument he does leave.

Then what?  UND try for the Minot Prez again?  With the state law changed to only show finalists will the pool change?

legacy?  Well I drive by a lot of his legacy every day in the cities, the amount of promotion they have done down here is amazing. When I first moved down there 2 years ago there was barely anything! Funny what happens when you get $$$ to advertise (which they got ripped for) He’s better than Kelley and it’s not even close.  

Is the advertising down there for UND in general or is it targeting online education? 

Twin Cities metro-area advertising has ebbed and flowed over the past ten years, per my observations, which is mostly billboard advertising.  Prior to the mid-2000s, there wasn't much of that going on, if I remember correctly, but of course my memory is not what it used to be.  The content has varied too, sometimes touting some media ranking, aviation or general do-gooder displays.  During the years 2011 - 2015, there seemed to be a lot of billboard advertising, but gradually dropped off.  That method was not as prevalent until recently, fall of last year it seemed to pick up again along the metro highways.

There has never been much of a TV presence for UND here in the Cities, unless you are watching a game on CBSSN or Fox College Sports cable channels.  NDSU seems to have continually had a small TV advertising presence over the last bit of time here on a variety of channels, perhaps a decade?

Note exactly going out on a limb on this but: Kennedy will go down for his interview and within a few days put out a release that states "after careful consideration, he has decided to withdraw his name as the job isn't a good fit and he wants to continue with the momentum and great things that are happening at UND".

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Let’s say for the sake of the argument he does leave.

Then what?  UND try for the Minot Prez again?  With the state law changed to only show finalists will the pool change?

legacy?  Well I drive by a lot of his legacy every day in the cities, the amount of promotion they have done down here is amazing. When I first moved down there 2 years ago there was barely anything! Funny what happens when you get $$$ to advertise (which they got ripped for) He’s better than Kelley and it’s not even close.  

I'm gonna call BS on this. As another poster noted, there was a continuous presence especially in the later years of Kelley's tenure. And I personally have seen the I-94 billboard and Target Field ads for years.

Kelley-bashing for advertising seems kind of pathetic, unless you have data to back it up. Show us the year-to-year expenditures and the results. It's public record, I'm sure.

Besides, how effective is any kind of advertising for college-bound students? Has UND enrollment from the TC even varied that much? For my money, I'd rather buy the guidance counselors at top area high schools a weekly dinner at Ruth's Chris...that's going to have as much impact as anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

I'm gonna call BS on this. As another poster noted, there was a continuous presence especially in the later years of Kelley's tenure. And I personally have seen the I-94 billboard and Target Field ads for years.

Kelley-bashing for advertising seems kind of pathetic, unless you have data to back it up. Show us the year-to-year expenditures and the results. It's public record, I'm sure.

Besides, how effective is any kind of advertising for college-bound students? Has UND enrollment from the TC even varied that much? For my money, I'd rather buy the guidance counselors at top area high schools a weekly dinner at Ruth's Chris...that's going to have as much impact as anything.

Didn't NDSU's freshman class size grow considerably vs UND during the past decade or so?

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yes, ndsu ate UND's lunch during the Kelley years. 

Ya I wonder about GFs own Ray Holmberg and what he knows about all the cuts at. UND. Would it have been a lot worse if he wasn't there? Will they  demolish the campus to  achieve there goal of SU 25000? I don't know what some on this board are looking at to me it's clear that's where we're headed. Right or wrong that's what I see.

55 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Ya I wonder about GFs own Ray Holmberg and what he knows about all the cuts at. UND. Would it have been a lot worse if he wasn't there? Will they  demolish the campus to  achieve there goal of SU 25000? I don't know what some on this board are looking at to me it's clear that's where we're headed. Right or wrong that's what I see.

Thankfully you're wrong. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Twin Cities advertising for UND was poor during Kelley years. Period. 

NDSU presence far outweighed that of UND during said timeframe. Perhaps still does but at least closer now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Thankfully you're wrong. 

The political party that has been in power the last 15 years in ND gets a pass on everything. No questions asked.   Democrates may govern bad in many people's opinion on this board but doing this to UND no. If  Mac Schneider was in control of the $ very little of what has gone on at UND would have happened. I've listened to him talk common sense.

10 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Note exactly going out on a limb on this but: Kennedy will go down for his interview and within a few days put out a release that states "after careful consideration, he has decided to withdraw his name as the job isn't a good fit and he wants to continue with the momentum and great things that are happening at UND".

So then, no harm no foul?  :)  We can all go back to the way things were, right?

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

That data is quite difficult to come across, as far as directly comparing advertising. 

When it comes to such advertising, what folks gather by just being present is about as good of a measure as any; they are directly observing the very metric set out by the advertising itself.

Marketing/advertising goes well beyond the expenditures; strategy and effort makes a tremendous difference.

To "call BS" on something of that sort is perhaps unfounded criticism. NDSU has outdone UND in terms of marketing and enrollment during the past decade, hands down. It may hurt for some, but bite the bullet and admit the facts.