SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

7 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Funny picture but I think you're missing the point about mascots. They're fun. They boost fan participation and cheers. The Sioux logo was great but we couldn't have a mascot to go along with it and that was fine. But since we had to switch we might as well get a matching mascot and have fun with it. 

Has Fan participation been an issue at UND? Since when? Sports with lower attendance have more to do with poor performance by the team rather than lack of a guy, girl or gender nonconforming Gender studies major running around the stands acting like a moron.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Has Fan participation been an issue at UND? Since when? Sports with lower attendance have more to do with poor performance by the team rather than lack of a guy, girl or gender nonconforming Gender studies major running around the stands acting like a moron.

So should the Vikings get rid of their mascot? Wild? T-wolves? Twins? Should all schools and pro teams get rid of their mascots because it’s just some moron running around. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

So should the Vikings get rid of their mascot? Wild? T-wolves? Twins? Should all schools and pro teams get rid of their mascots because it’s just some moron running around. 

Personally, I would. I despise Nordy when they added him I was annoyed. If you were talking about the guy in the foam Viking suit then he just looks dumb, if you want something gets some guys dressed in actual Viking armor. I don't understand how a cartoony bear relates to the Twins, and honestly, I could care less about basketball, I find it only slightly less boring than soccer.

8 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Personally, I would. I despise Nordy when they added him I was annoyed. If you were talking about the guy in the foam Viking suit then he just looks dumb, if you want something gets some guys dressed in actual Viking armor. I don't understand how a cartoony bear relates to the Twins, and honestly, I could care less about basketball, I find it only slightly less boring than soccer.

Mascots are geared towards kids and since you aren’t one, you can just be the pissed off adult with his arms crossed while kids are having a fun time. Sucks to be you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, darell1976 said:

Mascots are geared towards kids and since you aren’t one, you can just be the pissed off adult with his arms crossed while kids are having a fun time. Sucks to be you.

I didn't even get the idea as a kid. I was mostly just creeped out by some guy in a costume. And frankly, in the world, we live in today, I want to meet the parent who likes the Idea of a stranger in a fursuit running up to there kid, seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, ArchyAlum11 said:

I didn't even get the idea as a kid. I was mostly just creeped out by some guy in a costume. And frankly, in the world, we live in today, I want to meet the parent who likes the Idea of a stranger in a fursuit running up to there kid, seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Wow!! Next you will have problems with kids sitting on Santa’s lap, after all it’s a stranger in a suit. Did Thunder the bleacher creature attack you as a kid?

Just now, darell1976 said:

Wow!! Next you will have problems with kids sitting on Santa’s lap, after all it’s a stranger in a suit. Did Thunder the bleacher creature attack you as a kid?

Actually, I personally would not let my kid sit on a mall Santa's lap, why would I pay to get a photo of my kids taken with some stranger. The whole Idea seems stupid not to mention creepy. But then again I have no intention of lying to my kids about Santa Clause either the same for the easter bunny or the tooth fairy.

On 3/8/2018 at 1:15 PM, darell1976 said:

So they want this logo to look intimidating, What planet do you have to be on for this logo to look intimidating, there is nothing intimidating about this logo and I’m pretty sure whatever version they come out with won’t be as well!!!  Actually now that I think about it the snowflake generation might be   Intimidated by it .

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, Blackheart said:

Here's a little video of "the Farce", Kermit was their unofficial mascot...Cary Eades rocking classic 70's flow with moustache.

Damn those guys looked like MEN back then!

Hey... is that a younger Al Pearson in his cowboy hat at the :40 second mark?  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe going out of state to a reputable design firm isn't such a bad thing?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4427830-und-students-select-design-mascot-character

Student Erik Hanson, committee co-chair, said the university has extended a nearly $32,000 contract to Ohio-based Rickabaugh Graphics to provide concepts for the mascot's look, as well as finished, game day-ready costumes.

The design firm has a wide body of collegiate work, including that for high-profile clients such as the University of Iowa, Ohio State University, and University of Central Florida. To that end, Rickabaugh credits itself with creating Brutus Buckeye, Ohio State's nut-headed mascot.

So, the University did it, and people complained the students should have been given a chance.

Now that the students have done it...

50 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Maybe going out of state to a reputable design firm isn't such a bad thing?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4427830-und-students-select-design-mascot-character

So, the University did it, and people complained the students should have been given a chance.

Now that the students have done it...

Tough to tell if it’s a buck or a hot potato these days.

A mascot is fine but to waste $32000 on this is crazy, but no pay raises for employees

i would think the marketing students could have done this for a project, give a few scholarships away to the winners

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kab said:

A mascot is fine but to waste $32000 on this is crazy, but no pay raises for employees

i would think the marketing students could have done this for a project, give a few scholarships away to the winners

All good bro.  Not coming out of your pocket!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Kab said:

The marketing students are going to make a costume? So you save money on a conceptual design by giving away a few scholarships and then still have to pay someone to make someone else's design, how much do you actually end up ahead in that scenario?

The $32,000 is coming out of an advertising or marketing budget. While it is unfortunate raises weren't given out on campus (or for anyone that works for the state), not everything on campus needs to stop because of that. That's the type of small time thinking that leads to stagnation. For the record, a 1% raise on campus would have cost $6 million for the biennium, the mascot has nothing to do with the pay raises.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

As far as mascots go, the dopier the better, imo.  People who are offended by mascots need to pull the stick out of their ass.

I can’t wait to see a Hawk mascot at games. Crunch was a hoot at the Timberwolves game I attended 2 months ago. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

The marketing students are going to make a costume? So you save money on a conceptual design by giving away a few scholarships and then still have to pay someone to make someone else's design, how much do you actually end up ahead in that scenario?

The $32,000 is coming out of an advertising or marketing budget. While it is unfortunate raises weren't given out on campus (or for anyone that works for the state), not everything on campus needs to stop because of that. That's the type of small time thinking that leads to stagnation. For the record, a 1% raise on campus would have cost $6 million for the biennium, the mascot has nothing to do with the pay raises.

tenor.jpg.663caf4e44cc455020f80ffc62682026.jpg

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Is this how Thunder the Bleacher Creature came to be?

32K is a very small amount of money when you look at the entire budget. It's all about perspective. Spit-balling here, but 32K at an institution the size of UND is like 100 bucks or so to you and I.

In theory, the end product will be professional, and very marketable.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Bigger question, will the new mascot be allowed to set foot in the Ralph?!! 

People freaked out over a little birdie on the uniforms so having a bigger bird in the Ralph will anger the half drunk Sioux forever crowd.

• Downvote 1