SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Spearhead Effort for Fighting Hawks Mascot

ChrisUND1

40 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The difference between UND and Florida State is IF UND had a mascot under the Fighting Sioux name. It would be an actual Native American, most likely someone that is from the Sioux Tribe, then a white guy dressed as an Indian.

Then again if UND still used Fighting Sioux there still wouldn’t be a mascot.

I remember at basketball games at The Hyslop there would be a member of the Sioux tribe doing their traditional dances during halftime. I was in elementary school and still remember thinking it was really cool AND it taught me something about their culture.  However, I suppose that doesn't fit the narrative that the UND logo was racist and we appropriated their culture... but I digress

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

I have to ask, and this is with all due respect: do you really think that a new primary logo is going to be developed and used in the next...let's say 10 years?  The amount of money UND has put into the Fighting Hawks logo, name, and overall brand should answer the question.  Branding branding branding.  The logo is here to stay.  Many are moving on, some never will, but at least be a realist.

I've stated since Day 1 that a military logo with ties to the GFAFB and honoring our military would be better supported than what we paid $50k for.  Will it happen, no.  Back to the mascot subject, I think it's a bad idea.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Did you think Bison fans were going to expect a cartoonish like Bison or a real one like at the U of Colorado. They have no problem with their mascot and he is very popular not only at games but in the community. 

Darell this is one time we don't need to compare ourselves to the Bison or try to copy them.   Besides, the Bison fans don't have a problem with their logo either, we do.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TRex said:

Darell this is one time we don't need to compare ourselves to the Bison or try to copy them.   Besides, the Bison fans don't have a problem with their logo either, we do.  

Seeing they have had pretty much the same name and logo since the 1960’s and we have ours for one year, I can see why they don’t have a problem with the logo. 

On 1/26/2018 at 8:18 AM, petey23 said:

I am not really against a mascot per se. But the fact that the last time we had one it was an embarrassment to the school, state and region makes me a little leery. Then when you consider the whole nickname process that eventually gave us a mediocre name and the sh!tty logo we have now and......well it is a little hard to have trust that this will turn out alright.

Wait........so let the school make a mascot then we can say we’re offended by it then it would have to go away right? Just as long as a couple people are offended by it.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:48 AM, darell1976 said:

So it’s okay to have a guy dressed in a cowboy hat running with a flag around the field but we can’t have a Hawk interacting with young kids and other fans, making their game day experience even better. All because you are still butthurt over the name change. 

It’s funny how people still get on other people for being butthurt over the name change since that was the reason the Sioux name had to go away to begin with  because all the liberals were BUTTHURT over it and they finally got their way and Sioux fans are supposed to accept it

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

It’s funny how people still get on other people for being butthurt over the name change since that was the reason the Sioux name had to go away to begin with  because all the liberals were BUTTHURT over it and they finally got their way and Sioux fans are supposed to accept it

But the real question is who has more "butthurt"? The "liberals" who got the name changed? Or the people who still haven't accepted it, yet make fun of the "liberals" for being butthurt despite being quite "butthurt" themselves? 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

But the real question is who has more "butthurt"? The "liberals" who got the name changed? Or the people who still haven't accepted it, yet make fun of the "liberals" for being butthurt despite being quite "butthurt" themselves? 

Oo04a.gif

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm all for a mascot if only because it might put something out there cooler than the logo we have now.  But I was someone who wanted a logo that was a foghorn leghorn-type (but a little meaner looking) hawk in a leather aviation helmet and leather jacket possibly in a plane, etc.  Something a little cooler. . . and tougher.  A cigar in his mouth would have been cool too, but I suppose that would have been pushing it. . .   ;) 

• Upvote 2

People who complained about UND having to change the name (even knowing the consequences for doing so) are they same people that complained about the Fighting Hawks name, are the same people who will complain about the Fighting Hawks logo, and will be the the same people that complain about the new Fighting Hawks mascot.  You know what?  Nobody cares about you anymore.  Nothing will please you.  This new mascot is going to be for kids.  Not for 40 year old "adults" who complain about everything that doesn't make them happy.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

People who complained about UND having to change the name (even knowing the consequences for doing so) are they same people that complained about the Fighting Hawks name, are the same people who will complain about the Fighting Hawks logo, and will be the the same people that complain about the new Fighting Hawks mascot.  You know what?  Nobody cares about you anymore.  Nothing will please you.  This new mascot is going to be for kids.  Not for 40 year old "adults" who complain about everything that doesn't make them happy.  

It sounds like you’re talking about part of  the pc crowd there that got the name changed, “40 year old “adults” who complain about everything that doesn’t make them happy”

• Upvote 1