SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

Somebody mentioned that maybe our defense wasn't fast enough. Been thinking about that comment. I think of all the (for lack of a better term with my limited football language) swing passes that seem to work against us to a back coming out of the backfield along the sides with our d-back going full speed but doesn't get there until allowing a 7 yard gain. Is this a "speed" issue?

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Somebody mentioned that maybe our defense wasn't fast enough. Been thinking about that comment. I think of all the (for lack of a better term with my limited football language) swing passes that seem to work against us to a back coming out of the backfield along the sides with our d-back going full speed but doesn't get there until allowing a 7 yard gain. Is this a "speed" issue?

That was the story of Saturday's Game/Take a peek @ game film.

I think if Tanner P is healthy for this game that we probably win.

Tanner is fast, defensive speed has been mentioned a lot as far as why the defense failed. Depth is a huge issue for this team. It's getting better but it still lacks.

WSU was 8-16 on 3rd downs. I think Tanner would have been a difference maker on at least 2 of these 8 conversions and that could have tilted the game in UNDs favor.

2 hours ago, GoHawks said:

Ways to beat the UND defense

1.Quick passes

2. Zone runs

Idaho State did it and Weber saw that and did the same thing. The coaches for Weber did their homework.

You would think that our coaches would have looked at how UNC and NAU were able to score 28 against Weber's defense.  They probably looked at the film and said......."ehh....we'll just stick with what we normally do since we've been running the ball so well".  Well that resulted in 16 points (sorry I count FG's as produced by the offense as the offense needs to get kicker in position to make it).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

You would think that our coaches would have looked at how UNC and NAU were able to score 28 against Weber's defense.  They probably looked at the film and said......."ehh....we'll just stick with what we normally do since we've been running the ball so well".  Well that resulted in 16 points (sorry I count FG's as produced by the offense as the offense needs to get kicker in position to make it).

UNC and NAU have vastly superior athletes at wr compared to us. That may be a reason. We didn’t have any separation on Saturday.

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

then use them accordingly...new englands' wr's never scare anyone and yet they win all the time.

That's the thing, I don't think I recall seeing one new wrinkle.....to try and combat or offset the best FCS defense we have played so far.  One time TE was wide open on the right side but Kett was focused on left side and threw it that way, which I know that happens sometimes.  But you'd think maybe somebody would notice and come back to that play later or something.  Weber had plays dialed up that got their guys open all day and many times it wasn't because they were so fast, they were just open due to scheme etc.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:17 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

No, not necessarily a speed issue as much as a confidence issue or responsibility issue. D-backs are usually taught to play pass first which means be sure the ball carrier has passed the LOS before selling out to come up to provide run support and make a tackle. The other issue is, some guys ain't about that life so, when a ball carrier with rocks in his pocket is coming up field, some guys are hesitant to come down hill. Both factors contribute to a ball carrier getting a 7yd gain before a d-back gets there. The other question is: where are the LBs?  If a d-back has to come make a play, that means the LBs are on skates or caught up in the wash because the linemen are in their lap or they made a false read or misstep and are now out of position to make the play. .

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

But I also know that those guys have PhD level knowledge of football and I'm struggling to get my GED. Doesn't make me always wrong or them always right, but you sure as hell don't want me setting the 2-deep or calling plays 65 times a game, I can tell you that.

Probably the sanest thing that's even been said on this site!

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:
  • Or, and I've actually heard this in the past about a guy who is having a FANTASTIC year this year, "Oh, yeah... he's REALLY good. But he freelances way too much and coach doesn't trust him. For every good play he makes, he exposes us twice as often because he's out of position and not playing the scheme the way it's designed."

Guessing this is a contributor to our run D getting gashed this year.....

• Upvote 2

Overall this year the run D hasn’t been up to snuff.  Seems as though teams are figuring out unds D.  They have adjusted and found success...namely in the middle where und is usually solid.  

With a 3-4 the defenses live and die by the play of the nose. The nose should occupy a couple of O lineman’s attention and most importantly be a gap filler.  It’s essential that the NG be above par for the front seven to have success. If they aren’t the alpha that day ......it creates a potential mess in the middle of the D, particularly with the backers. Exhausting position 

In the 90s Callahan was a man amongst men at this position and because of that....und D thrived.  Alone, neither tank or Greer are Callahan...together they are a good combo but recently they havent been the alpha.   Watched those two during the weber game.....neither was winning and Weber exposed it. They were rarely double teamed.  Doesn’t hurt that Weber has a competent OC that is able to recognize and adjust.   He called a great game that best fit the talent that he has.  I’ve said it before ....und doesn't win games if the D is having an off game.   They are not allowed to have a bad game as the offense cannot compensate. 

I have preferred the 4-3 for a team that wants to play the power game.  Not advocating und changes schemes or styles just simply my preference.  In a 4-3 there are two DTs that are gap fillers.  

NG and QB .....unds two biggest recruiting needs every year  

Why is it that und has such undersized OLBs?  Speed?  I realize that speed at OLB is a necessary key component to a 3-4 but 225 lb should be the minimum weight out there as they are in hand to hand combat with 300 lb o lineman. With a program that wants to wear you out...200-210lb OLB don't seem to be the answer.  

* Mason is is an absolute stud...should be/better be all American this year  

* verde looked fantastic vs Weber.   Explosive player.  like his game  

Idaho matches up very well with unds style of play.  Hope the guys bring their A game today. 

1 minute ago, Longtime fan said:

Im just sickened for players like Brady that puts everything he/they have into the game.   These seniors deserved better.  They have the talent this year and it’s been wasted. 

I agree with part of your statement. We have some talent. Not enough though. It was more than obvious in many games this year.