SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Should try to maintain Waletzko's redshirt unless he's a significant upgrade. 

This.

Aplin has played very well this year, along with the entire O-Line, not only is there no reason to disrupt the chemistry, but keeping Waletzko's redshirt would be huge. 

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

This.

Aplin has played very well this year, along with the entire O-Line, not only is there no reason to disrupt the chemistry, but keeping Waletzko's redshirt would be huge. 

Agreed. Waletzko is at 3 games played right now. If we can get away with keeping his shirt this year that would be a big deal. 

7 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

And no to Greer starting. The coaches see both Tank and Greer in practice and have put both in position to succeed. They’ve both had great years. Replacing these two will be really tough next year. 

Agreed.   Based on senior numbers alone this year .....there is a ton of talent returning next year.   Two positions take a big hit however .....RB and nose.  RB seems to be in good hands with JJ and Otis and perhaps McKinney?  But the nose ,IMO, will need a drop down.  Big big losses with Greer and tank.  Jalen is green and light.  Add in Austin at DE and und will lose the only three guys that are over 260 lbs.  The returnees (DL) need to gain some lbs  (namely jalen) and would like to see a drop down at nose.  Und could have a fantastic 2019 season just a little timid about the nose position. 

8 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Agreed.   Based on senior numbers alone this year .....there is a ton of talent returning next year.   Two positions take a big hit however .....RB and nose.  RB seems to be in good hands with JJ and Otis and perhaps McKinney?  But the nose ,IMO, will need a drop down.  Big big losses with Greer and tank.  Jalen is green and light.  Add in Austin at DE and und will lose the only three guys that are over 260 lbs.  The returnees (DL) need to gain some lbs  (namely jalen) and would like to see a drop down at nose.  Und could have a fantastic 2019 season just a little timid about the nose position. 

Agree.  The 2018 is young.  NG drop down and high level freshman would be good.  I real like how the coaches are developing this young team.

41 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Agree.  The 2018 is young.  NG drop down and high level freshman would be good.  I real like how the coaches are developing this young team.

This is a very good looking young team. So when I read the comments of those who really want Bubba gone, I wonder where all this young talent will go if that were to happen. How many potentially great players will leave if there's a coaching change?

37 minutes ago, shep said:

This is a very good looking young team. So when I read the comments of those who really want Bubba gone, I wonder where all this young talent will go if that were to happen. How many potentially great players will leave if there's a coaching change?

With UND being 4-2 and coming off a 41-14 blowout win versus ranked Montana, I highly doubt anyone has “fire Bubba” thoughts as the number one thing on their mind. 

Contemporary DI college football is a fluid process. The good programs rarely, if ever, have losing seasons so I think that’s where the angst originated last season. So far so good in 2018. 

When coaches are fired, though, you have to weigh the benefit vs the risk. Drastically improving the direction of the program outweighs potentially losing some young men for the first season. 

4 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Yes, no nose guard next year.......yikes!!

Greer VRS Tank, shows what a redshirt season can do for a player.  2014 - Tank Redshirts at UND, 2015 is a back up and starts being a really good player as a sophomore in 2016.  2014 Greer is playing high school football.  2015 and 2016 Greer had 4 tackles in 2 seasons as a freshman and sophomore and was OK last year as a junior in 2017.  2018 Greer really ups his game, but now as a senior.  It would be really nice if Greer was afforded a redshirt year as this would then be his Jr. year.  I have no doubt he'd be an unmovable force with another year!!

Masson Bennett, by all indications is breaking out as a top player, as a Jr., with the benefit of a redshirt season.  (He was showing flashes last year as a sophomore, too)

Most players.....have to redshirt!!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Yes, no nose guard next year.......yikes!!

Greer VRS Tank, shows what a redshirt season can do for a player.  2014 - Tank Redshirts at UND, 2015 is a back up and starts being a really good player as a sophomore in 2016.  2014 Greer is playing high school football.  2015 and 2016 Greer had 4 tackles in 2 seasons as a freshman and sophomore and was OK last year as a junior in 2017.  2018 Greer really ups his game, but now as a senior.  It would be really nice if Greer was afforded a redshirt year as this would then be his Jr. year.  I have no doubt he'd be an unmovable force with another year!!

Masson Bennett, by all indications is breaking out as a top player, as a Jr., with the benefit of a redshirt season.  (He was showing flashes last year as a sophomore, too)

Most players.....have to redshirt!!

We need 270 to be a normal weight for our DEs and 300 for our NGs. Cieslak is the poster boy for what our DL should look like. I’m not sure I’d even want Morrison to gain 40 lbs in one year, maybe he can be effective at 280-290 with his quick feet? 

At this point I almost have to assume the coaches will go for a JUCO or drop down NG which is not ideal.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We need 270 to be a normal weight for our DEs and 300 for our NGs. Cieslak is the poster boy for what our DL should look like. I’m not sure I’d even want Morrison to gain 40 lbs in one year, maybe he can be effective at 280-290 with his quick feet? 

At this point I almost have to assume the coaches will go for a JUCO or drop down NG which is not ideal.

In my head, I think 250 is the min. for DE's and 290 at nose.  If a guy is really strong and/or really athletic those weights will work.  DE's need to be 6'3" min., too.

Our starting 3 Cieslak, Tank, Bennett is a dream of size, weight, height, and ability.  

• Upvote 4

NG is unquestionably the most important position in a 3-4 scheme.  They NEED to control the “A” gap and should require a double team, maybe triple team.  Keep the OL away from the backers.  It’s the most exhausting of any position as well.  They don’t usually have the best stats but are the catalyst behind the D being a good one to being great D. ....and und has a great combo of them. Let’s enjoy them this year. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

NG is unquestionably the most important position in a 3-4 scheme.  They NEED to control the “A” gap and should require a double team, maybe triple team.  Keep the OL away from the backers.  It’s the most exhausting of any position as well.  They don’t usually have the best stats but are the catalyst behind the D being a good one to being great D. ....and und has a great combo of them. Let’s enjoy them this year. 

Well put.  100% agree!