SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

• 5 weeks later...

Idalski supporters confuse me. Either he was a good recruiter to get all of those Olympians and a bad coach who couldn't do anything with them, or he was a bad recruiter who couldn't beat out the other local schools and had to settle for Europeans, and still couldn't coach them. 

9 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Idalski supporters confuse me. Either he was a good recruiter to get all of those Olympians and a bad coach who couldn't do anything with them, or he was a bad recruiter who couldn't beat out the other local schools and had to settle for Europeans, and still couldn't coach them. E

Serious question. How many of those Olympians were on team Canada or team USA besides the twins? Those are the only two counties that produce talent.

6 hours ago, Prison_Mike said:

Serious question. How many of those Olympians were on team Canada or team USA besides the twins? Those are the only two counties that produce talent.

I know that Halli Krzyzaniak was close to making the Canadian team (and might have a shot in 2022) and outside of Amsley-Benzie getting a look IIRC, no.

Most I believe have been Finns.  

15 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Idalski supporters confuse me. Either he was a good recruiter to get all of those Olympians and a bad coach who couldn't do anything with them, or he was a bad recruiter who couldn't beat out the other local schools and had to settle for Europeans, and still couldn't coach them. 

My take on Idalski is this.

He did help the program from a doormat to respectable (now it did help that he had the Lammy Twins, that we cannot deny) but after a while... sometimes you can only go so far as a coach at a program.  They never could take that next step.  Its like that NFL team that goes from 3-13 to 9-7 and sneaks into a wild card.  That part is easy... but can you go from that to 11-5 or 12-4 and make a deep playoff run. They could never do that.

Did he have bad luck: Yes.  The NCAA with the usually nonsense about Kharvanin, the injuries that derailed Jensen of EGF, who could have been a top 6 forward and Slavin of Colorado, who could have been a stud in the D corp.  Tapani leaving after 1 year. 

To your two points:  It is a mix.  I'll let others deal with the local recruiting (because I think a few posters will have better insight on this that I will) but my biggest gripe with Idalski was this:  It wasn't that he couldn't beat Minnesota or Wisconsin on a consistence basis but.. and you can go back to previous years threads to see this potentially, every year before the season Brad would have his preseason article, and it would say that this year UND would avoid the bad losses that kept them out of more NCAA tournaments.  It would even had quotes of Idalski saying this exact thing.  

Well here is the thing:  UND couldn't do it.  It was a slip up against Syracuse, a slip up against Linderwood (which was an awful loss), a loss and tie against St. Cloud, a loss against Mankato, a loss against Ohio State, etc. With how the pairwise worked and only 8 teams getting in, it was these types of games that UND was not winning that was costing them in the end where they would finish 9th in the pairwise.  They won enough against Minnesota, Wisconsin and Duluth to have gotten in if they didn't slip up... 

Even in their best season, the triple OT loss in the first round to the U, if Parizak doesn't bury that winner in OT against Bemidji and they tie... they would have needed to win the conference tournament to get in. 

I'll put it bluntly:  If the program was still here, my money would be that someone else would be in charge right now. 

Nevertheless, I hope he does well in China. 

• Upvote 3