SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

13 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Of course he doesn't shoot them. But free throws have cost his teams a lot of games over the years. They aren't that hard and we don't have anyone other than Shanks who has any size excuse for sucking at the line.

I am guessing they understand the importance of FTs i heard once they each shoot at least 100 at every practice. As Rick Barry says "it's a mental thing" (king of the underhand shot).

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I am guessing they understand the importance of FTs i heard once they each shoot at least 100 at every practice. As Rick Barry says "it's a mental thing" (king of the underhand shot).

They didn't have much to complain about this season so they had to look for something.

Don't worry. UND could have hit every free throw and win by 10 and geaux_sioux would still be complaining about Jones. 

Some players great at the line others are not...some players are quick some are not, some can 3's  some can not, Hooker and Bernstine  play for the same coaches one make free throws the other does not....Bernstine owns his free throw shooting as does hooker

• Upvote 1

Mental part of shooting free throws is certainly relevant. I would expect UND's continued experience in big games, particularly the game against Arizona in the NCAA tourney, will help UND be more focused at the line in big games to come. The two poor free throw shooting games from 2016-17 that stand out to me were both big, high pressure games: vs NDSU (packed Betty) and vs Arizona (over 16,000 in NCAA tourney). With more experience in big games, the players will be more capable of delivering under pressure. 

I'll admit to being a critic of Coach Jones in the past.  However, I believe this season has earned him an extension.  I do, however, have a hard time erasing from my memory the years in which we had great talent and played an almost unwatchable version of street ball (let's clear out so Huff can go 1 on 4).  I sincerely hope Jones has grown as a coach and will not revert to what we went through a few years ago. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Think coaches could still help in "tweaking" their form a bit.   But you are about 95% right.

i bet that australian coach was probably a big reason why their ft shooting went up this year...and probably horner. they will be better next year

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NODAK13 said:

Now that the season is over is Jones officially out of his contract and without a contract is no longer the coach until something is done?

Sure it gets done sooner rather than later.  Question is will it be done before or after the athletics budgetary decisions.

Bubba's deal when he was hired in 2014 was for $150,000.  Three years, a conference Championship, and a playoff appearance later, he signed a new 5 year deal for $185,000 a year that will increase by $10,000 each year.

UND picked up Jones option and signed him on through the 2017 season back in 2013 for $100,000.  4 years later and a Conference Championship and a trip to the NCAA tournament, a contract extension is TBD.

Men's College basketball has the potential to be UND's highest profile sport.  Just look at the numbers.  1.4 million people watched the NCAA tournament game against Arizona.  That is the most watched UND sporting event in UND athletics history.   UND needs to pay it's MBB coach appropriately.

Jones has had his struggles, but he definitely deserves a contract and a raise for him and his assistants.  If UND is serious about taping into the potential of MBB, then need to offer Jones at least a deal similar to what they gave Bubba, if not more.  

• Upvote 1

Jones picked up 10-20k in incentives this season, AD was planning on canning him after this season, Summit league coaches get paid more than BSC coaches.  Jones will get a  3 year contract putting him mid pack BSC and lowest paid Summitt

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:37 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

The assistant coaches certainly played a role in this season's success. 

Then they should really work on the assistant salary pool. Fun fact: Jones has never had the same assistant coaching staff in back to back seasons since he started as UND's head coach. Can't imagine that has been real helpful...

10 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Bubba's deal when he was hired in 2014 was for $150,000.  Three years, a conference Championship, and a playoff appearance later, he signed a new 5 year deal for $185,000 a year that will increase by $10,000 each year.

UND picked up Jones option and signed him on through the 2017 season back in 2013 for $100,000.  4 years later and a Conference Championship and a trip to the NCAA tournament, a contract extension is TBD.

Men's College basketball has the potential to be UND's highest profile sport.  Just look at the numbers.  1.4 million people watched the NCAA tournament game against Arizona.  That is the most watched UND sporting event in UND athletics history.   UND needs to pay it's MBB coach appropriately.

Jones has had his struggles, but he definitely deserves a contract and a raise for him and his assistants.  If UND is serious about taping into the potential of MBB, then need to offer Jones at least a deal similar to what they gave Bubba, if not more.  

I would put his base salary between Berry and Bubba, with a bunch of benchmark incentives like 20 wins, win against a ranked opponent, conference title, dance trip.

12 hours ago, Cratter said:

Wonder how much Jones thinks he worth now..."I had the most people watching a UND sporting event ever and the women's hockey coach makes way more than me?!"

When he starts filling the Betty and getting corporate accounts to sign on, the job will really be worth a significant raise.  Great coaches create even more demand for their product, and that is reflected in revenues.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I would put his base salary between Berry and Bubba, with a bunch of benchmark incentives like 20 wins, win against a ranked opponent, conference title, dance trip.

You wanted Jones fire 3 months ago and now you want to pay him more than Bubba?!?

I expect a 3 year extension with a base around $140,000

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

You wanted Jones fire 3 months ago and now you want to pay him more than Bubba?!?

I expect a 3 year extension with a base around $140,000

3 months ago the team looked like crap and we weren't dancing. Try and keep up on what transpired recently.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

When he starts filling the Betty and getting corporate accounts to sign on, the job will really be worth a significant raise.  Great coaches create even more demand for their product, and that is reflected in revenues.

I think that is moving the bar. Betty attendance has increased, corporate accounts have lots of variables. His job is to run the program. Yes winning helps increase attendance and could increase corporate accounts but it's not a given.

He's earned an extension - would be nice if they funded him enough that he could stop losing assistants.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

3 months ago the team looked like crap and we weren't dancing. Try and keep up on what transpired recently.

So when they have a bad few months starting next season you'll want him fired again and ask the question why they gave him a new contract?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, tnt said:

So when they have a bad few months starting next season you'll want him fired again and ask the question why they gave him a new contract?

Tell me, up until January, what warranted an extension and a huge boost in pay? 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Tell me, up until January, what warranted an extension and a huge boost in pay? 

So he was a terrible coach that deserved to be fired up until then, and now because he had a couple good months he should be paid more than Bubba?   I wouldn't complain about Brian Faison with that kind of philosophy. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1