SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

always blame the coach instigators are a dime a dozen all bark no bite...get off on belittling others as a coping mechanism for their own shortcomings....Jones has been the best bargain high bang for the buck coach in the BSC  for most of his BSC tenure...I am not thrilled with his last 2 recruiting classes however having a ton of production returning and a one year contract  make it tough to recruit .  

It's a tough call for Faison. Has Jones grown as a coach or is this year an outlier?  He was just 34 when he was hired, with no previous head coaching experience. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm a helluva lot smarter now than I was when I was 35.  Last year I would have said let him go but I'm very pleased with what I saw this year. 

I'm interested in what his players think of him. Anyone have any insight on that?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Yea, let's hire a really good coach like Dave Richmond.  He took the bison to the dance.  Oh, wait, his team got upset in the Summit tourney by IUPUI yesterday.  Must have been his fault and now I think he's a poor coach.

Richmond is known for his team beating Oklahoma in the dance. Jones is known for his team beating nobody in the CIT.

5 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Um, that wasn't Richmonds team, he was an assistant.

You are right. Richmond in his first year lost to Gonzaga by 10 in the dance. Not bad for a first year coach. Not to mention winning 23 games. Jones in his first year went 11-17 overall, 3-10 in the conference and tied for 5th place in the NCC. Both resumes are almost equal.

2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I think he's locked himself up a new 3 year deal.  Whether or not that is good for the program long term is up for debate....

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/college/und-s-mussman-gets-contract-extension-through-season/article_30487a3e-c4a9-11e1-abca-001a4bcf887a.html

Let not forget this, and i'm sure Brian Faison won't either.

GRAND FORKS — University of North Dakota football coach Chris Mussman has signed a contract extension that will keep him at the helm at least through the 2015 season.

He has an overall record of 23-20, including an 8-3 mark last year and a share of the Great West Conference title. UND finished the season on a four-game winning streak.

Pause
Current Time0:00
/
Duration Time0:00

Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
0:00
Fullscreen

00:00
Unmute

UND had a five-game turnaround from the 2010 season, which was the third best in program history.

Last year Mussman was named the conference coach of the year, and was one of three FCS finalists for the Liberty Mutual coach of the year award and he was a finalist for the Eddie Robinson coach of the year award.

UND finished the season ranked No. 23 in the media poll, which marked the first time in its Division I history that UND was ranked in a final national poll.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/9997125/north-dakota-fires-football-coach-chris-mussman

GRAND FORK, N.D. -- North Dakota has fired coach Chris Mussman after a 3-8 season.

UND athletic director Brian Faison said the two met Monday and Mussman was relieved of his duties immediately.

Mussman coached six seasons at UND and had a 31-34 record.

8 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You are right. Richmond in his first year lost to Gonzaga by 10 in the dance. Not bad for a first year coach. Not to mention winning 23 games. Jones in his first year went 11-17 overall, 3-10 in the conference and tied for 5th place in the NCC. Both resumes are almost equal.

Not usually a spelling Nazi on message boards, but am with names.  Richman.

13 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Not only that, Richman hasn't been back to the dance since then.  This may be the year that UND makes it to the dance as a ND representative.  I am excited to watch the games in Reno. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Great point. Because every variable is the same here. Pass the prpl.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Hardcore Hawk said:

I'm thinking so too. Except for maybe a first round loss in Reno, I don't see a way where Faison doesn't extend him. Unfortunate indeed. 

It really sucks he managed to win the first UND men's conference championship in more than 20 years. 

• Upvote 3

Either way it's going to cost UND at a time when there is budget struggles.  Jones has leverage for a new deal or if they go a different route they'll have to pay much more than they are now.

It will be interesting to watch both the MBB and WIH coaching decisions.  Fasion will have some very interesting decisions to make.

If Jones and his squad can reach the NCAA tournament, I'm quite sure everyone will (or at least I will) be just fine with Faison signing Jones to a 3 or 4 year contract. That kind of exposure (NCAA tournament) would be huge for UND's program and is just what UND needs every year as their top goal in order to recruit off of it. 

The pending performance in this week's Big Sky Conference tournament is big; UND is the #1 seed and they need to play like it! 

51 minutes ago, supersioux said:

Either way it's going to cost UND at a time when there is budget struggles.  Jones has leverage for a new deal or if they go a different route they'll have to pay much more than they are now.

It will be interesting to watch both the MBB and WIH coaching decisions.  Fasion will have some very interesting decisions to make.

Well one should be super easy right now, and by Saturday night both will be.

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

It's evident many people are skeptical of extending Jones.  Women's hockey is in need of a change.   Here's what i would do:  

1.   Fire Idalski and his 200k per year contract.

2.  Hire Jones as the new women's hockey coach, pay him $150k.    (Nice raise for Jones, and with 209 people attending the Friday night Ohio State playoff game, does it really matter who's coaching???)

3.  Hire Chad Walthall as new men's basketball coach, pay him base $180k, with lots of incentives.

#Winning     :lol:

Or just cut women's hockey and free up all kinds of money for the sports that Grand Forks folks actually attend ...

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

It's evident many people are skeptical of extending Jones.  Women's hockey is in need of a change.   Here's what i would do:  

2.  Hire Jones as the new women's hockey coach, pay him $150k.    (Nice raise for Jones, and with 209 people attending the Friday night Ohio State playoff game, does it really matter who's coaching???)

3.  Hire Chad Walthall as new men's basketball coach, pay him base $180k, with lots of incentives.

laughs.gif

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

The taller you are the harder you fall. Jones would be falling down on the ice and hurting himself, you ever watch him run and jump on the sidelines? 

5 hours ago, supersioux said:

Although we have had a very nice year thus far (I am very proud of the team), I don't think Jones has any leverage.  He was told last spring that he would have been let go if not for the budget crunch.  Jones does not have the reputation of being a good coach - other BSC schools have continued to hope that we retain him as we have had good talent in the past few years with so-so results.  In other words, I don't think ADs around the country have a great deal of confidence in his ability - especially after they would do their due diligence.  

That said, if we make the Dance, Jones deserves an extension!    

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Although we have had a very nice year thus far (I am very proud of the team), I don't think Jones has any leverage.  He was told last spring that he would have been let go if not for the budget crunch.  Jones does not have the reputation of being a good coach - other BSC schools have continued to hope that we retain him as we have had good talent in the past few years with so-so results.  In other words, I don't think ADs around the country have a great deal of confidence in his ability - especially after they would do their due diligence.  

That said, if we make the Dance, Jones deserves an extension!    

any evidence to support this drivel???  I did not think so

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1