SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Guessing the 4th year was the compromise for a lower salary (or at least slightly lower than I expected), which wouldn't be the first time that trade-off has been made. Wondering if there are any bonus clauses for league championships or NCAA tournament appearances or any buyout clauses for either Jones or UND.

Hopefully the increase in the assistant salary pool was a meaningful bump. Some stability there, especially with current staff, would be a welcome change.

• Upvote 1

4 above average years in BSC play and one below average year...Based on actual BSC conference record not uninformed opinions from the peanut gallery....Another Fact is the Jones has 3rd best winning % in conference play of all 12 active  BSC head  coaches....4 year contract is fair...should of got it a year ago....Needs to pick up recruiting now as his last 2 freshman classes have been lame and Summit is a bit tougher than BSC...my guess is that this will be his final contract at UND

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

4 above average years in BSC play and one below average year...Based on actual BSC conference record not uninformed opinions from the peanut gallery....Another Fact is the Jones has 3rd best winning % in conference play of all 12 active  BSC head  coaches....4 year contract is fair...should of got it a year ago....Needs to pick up recruiting now as his last 2 freshman classes have been lame and Summit is a bit tougher than BSC...my guess is that this will be his final contract at UND

Jones' winning percentage by year in the Big Sky:
2012-2013    12-8     60.0%
2013-2014    12-8     60.0%
2014-2015    4-14     22.2%
2015-2016    10-8     55.6%
2016-2017    14-4     77.8%
Total              52-42   55.3%

I'd say he's had one good, one bad and 3 average years. His career Big Sky winning percentage is equivalent to a 10-8 season, which is average and should be the absolute minimum expectation along with a semi-final appearance in the conference tournament at least 3 out of 4 years. He had a .500 career record before last season, I'm not so sure what screams extension about that.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Jones got a contract extension courtesy of Quinton Hooker.  Did the Q at least get a gift basket as an expression of thanks?

Correction:. Ahelegbe should get the gift basket. He was instrumental in recruiting  Q. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Jones' winning percentage by year in the Big Sky:
2012-2013    12-8     60.0%
2013-2014    12-8     60.0%
2014-2015    4-14     22.2%
2015-2016    10-8     55.6%
2016-2017    14-4     77.8%
Total              52-42   55.3%

I'd say he's had one good, one bad and 3 average years. His career Big Sky winning percentage is equivalent to a 10-8 season, which is average and should be the absolute minimum expectation along with a semi-final appearance in the conference tournament at least 3 out of 4 years. He had a .500 career record before last season, I'm not so sure what screams extension about that.

50% of 18 is 9 not 10

36 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

50% of 18 is 9 not 10

Follow along: He had a .500% career record (38-38) before last season. His current career record is equivalent to a 10-8 season (~55%).

Unless of course you referring to 50% being an average season, which is a pretty sad goal to shoot for with the resources UND has (despite not giving MBB the attention it deserves).

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Follow along: He had a .500% career record (38-38) before last season. His current career record is equivalent to a 10-8 season (~55%).

let me simplify this for you...if team plays 18 game a 50% win season would be 9....over 9 win is winning over half your games  and better than the average of and 18 games BSC Schedule/ a winning conference record ...UND won greater than 50% of BSC games in 80% of Jones is BSC seasons and Jones has 3rd best winning% of all active mens BSC  basketball coaches....you are simply a hater or  poor at logic

So his deal goes 3 years into Summit League play, after last season I hope the hype continues. That was the most exciting time for men's basketball in probably 20-30 years. I can't wait to see them raise that trophy in Sioux Falls after they raise it in Reno of course. 

2 hours ago, lawkota said:

If Jones completes all 4 years of this deal, it will mark 51 years of UND basketball under 3 head coaches.  (If my math is right - Gunther started in the 70-71 season I believe).

Currently UND has had 4 football head coaches in the last 31 years, and UND has had 2 head coaches in the last 30 years of women's basketball, and 4 head coaches in the last 39 years in hockey. Not much for turnover in the major sports. 

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Could be a long 4 years if things don’t get better unless the new AD ends this contract early.

Will still be a long four years ..new coach will have to rebuild and recruit quality d1 basketball prospects to grand forks  which is not easy to do.....unlikely to budget money to buy out jones,  did not do for 100k .   Now he has 140k guarenteed for 4 years....plus Have the coin to get a great coach to grand forks. The fires jones mantra will ring empty for another 3 years

31 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Will still be a long four years ..new coach will have to rebuild and recruit quality d1 basketball prospects to grand forks  which is not easy to do.....unlikely to budget money to buy out jones,  did not do for 100k .   Now he has 140k guarenteed for 4 years....plus Have the coin to get a great coach to grand forks. The fires jones mantra will ring empty for another 3 years

Seemed to work in Fargo for Dave Richman. 23-10 (Dance Trip), 20-13, 19-11.  Grand Forks isn't different than Fargo when it comes to basketball.