SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

While some may disagree I think we can trust the process. There were some on here screaming that Bubba needed a raise and he needed it that day and as it played out it was announced quite quickly that it was being worked on. I would guess that giving our raises to coaches of men's sports isn't something you announce a few days after cutting a a women's sport - even if Title IV issues are covered, the perception out there is that when UND cut WH it violated Title IV. Perception is reality. Social Media > facts  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Seriously, pretty surprised it is taking this long to figure out the coaching situation.

My guess is a verbal commitment has been reached on both sides but it won't be signed/publically announced for a few weeks. Possibly they wait until finals are over. The optics of cancelling three programs to give a coach a raise will provide the primary fuel source for the twitter-storm going forward. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TNF said:

My guess is a verbal commitment has been reached on both sides but it won't be signed/publically announced for a few weeks. Possibly they wait until finals are over. The optics of cancelling three programs to give a coach a raise will provide the primary fuel source for the twitter-storm going forward. 

This is my sense, too.

2 minutes ago, TNF said:

That is understandable, but couldn't that be a little detrimental to player retention and recruiting? Or is it assumed that the situation has been explained to players and recruits.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

That is understandable, but couldn't that be a little detrimental to player retention and recruiting? Or is it assumed that the situation has been explained to players and recruits.

They could all know if he has a new deal and that they need to keep it on the down low to avoid the obvious shitstorm.

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Maybe Jones wants a big FU to UND for not signing extension and is shopping around.

Come on Cratter there are better places to stir the pot - let men's BB have some time without controversy and bashing :)  

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

That's probably what he's trying to find out. I'm sure not every open coaching position is open right now.

Not every open coaching position is open? That is what you are going to go with? It doesn't make sense unless you're trying to say that Jones is interviewing with schools that currently already have a head coach in place or he's going around, knocking on doors, asking other schools if they are firing their coach in the next couple weeks, even though everyone does it immediately after the season, or asking if maybe they'd consider doing it. Both of are incredible stretches and just another example of throwing something out there so you can be a contrarian. Why even bother?

There were clear conversations had with Jones before the season and he met and likely passed expectations. Both sides understand this. Not everything needs to be a conspiracy theory. Pretty safe bet that conversations between Jones and Faison have already happened and both parties agree that you don't announce a coach getting a decent size raise immediately after cutting 3 sports, one of which is not letting the news go away. His current contract runs through June 30, so he's not working for free and letting current players and recruits know there is a deal in place and explaining why it hasn't been signed and/or announced isn't going to hurt anything.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Come on Cratter there are better places to stir the pot - let men's BB have some time without controversy and bashing :)  

Not bashing. He could be keeping his possibilities open. He might think he's worth more than UND is offering after a march madness trip. Not out of the realm of possibility.

I expect him to be back at UND.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Not bashing. He could be keeping his possibilities open. He might think he's worth more than UND is offering after a march madness trip. Not out of the realm of possibility.

I expect him to be back at UND.

this is where i am at too

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So the 2 month extension ends this week.  The new deal should be announced this week you would think.

Sure should be, but like some other things that the school has done, getting the end result done, doesn't make up for the poor way it has been handled, and how it reflects on the school.

23 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Sure should be, but like some other things that the school has done, getting the end result done, doesn't make up for the poor way it has been handled, and how it reflects on the school.

Re-signing a coach in a major sport at UND for a team that won the regular season title and earned their first trip to the Big Dance should be a big deal. Typically a school would make this a big news conference because they want to show off the accomplishments of a program and reward it by giving a long term contract to its head coach.  But because UND embraces PR nighmares, they will most likely announce it with a press release at 4:30pm on Friday before a long weekend to avoid supposed "controversy."  

So many arm-chair ADs, there are so many issues going on right now at UND that impact the athletic department budget. I really don't see the issue here as long as the coach and players know what's going on. I highly doubt this had any impact on the two players that left - the writing was on the wall for both of them. They were just forced to cut $2M+ from their budget and some are pissed that they haven't made a big deal about resigning the MBB coach and lauding a big raise?

Based on past comments posted here they already pulled off a miracle in winning the Big Sky, making the Tournament and signing new recruits with a coach who was on the last year of his contact and is still unsigned. Geez if they can accomplish that without a contact I guess it might not be that big of a deal internally. 

We don't know what we don't know - except for those that know it all. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

So many arm-chair ADs, there are so many issues going on right now at UND that impact the athletic department budget. I really don't see the issue here as long as the coach and players know what's going on. I highly doubt this had any impact on the two players that left - the writing was on the wall for both of them. They were just forced to cut $2M+ from their budget and some are pissed that they haven't made a big deal about resigning the MBB coach and lauding a big raise?

Based on past comments posted here they already pulled off a miracle in winning the Big Sky, making the Tournament and signing new recruits with a coach who was on the last year of his contact and is still unsigned. Geez if they can accomplish that without a contact I guess it might not be that big of a deal internally. 

We don't know what we don't know - except for those that know it all. 

Agreed, I don't think it has an impact on the two player that left. But still, there is a right way to do stuff, and dragging out this process is not it. Isn't that what they did with football a few years back, and that certainly may have impacted some guys leaving. Of course when Hak left, they had a plan in place, and acted immediately. Now I am a big time hockey fan, but there is not reason these other sports, which are succeeding, should not be given some of the same attention and respect.