SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Miami - FRIDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wolanin is such a skilled kid, but zero edge on the blue line.  If he played with Poolman's edge and physicality he'd be the best d man on the team.

Last night on the power play he brought the puck out of our zone with speed and could have dumped it in and been the first man on the puck.  Instead he pulls a figure skate 180, turns his back towards Miami about five feet from the blue line and then drops the puck to the trail guy who has nowhere to go because Miami now has a wall set up on the blue line.

Tough to sit him tonight, because they need his offense. 

I never saw how that was suppose to help on the power play, hit the line with speed and a soft chip of the boards and go around the other player. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

He was on the penalty kill with tucker when Miami scored during the 5min. 

So that wouldn't hit +/- either... the kid was on the ice for 7 goals scored...unfortunately 5 were by Miami...

my starting point is the +/- stated by ogle torp, so I haven't validated anything via official source...

a dman being out for 5 goals against has to be a record...maybe need to confirm against Lee and Finley...

23 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I never saw how that was suppose to help on the power play, hit the line with speed and a soft chip of the boards and go around the other player. 

Only works if you can pick a defender without interference and the guy you pass to can carry the puck into the zone cleanly with speed.

im with you that you chip, F1 and F2 win a race and puck battle and get it back to the point to set up

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wolanin is such a skilled kid, but zero edge on the blue line.  If he played with Poolman's edge and physicality he'd be the best d man on the team.

Last night on the power play he brought the puck out of our zone with speed and could have dumped it in and been the first man on the puck.  Instead he pulls a figure skate 180, turns his back towards Miami about five feet from the blue line and then drops the puck to the trail guy who has nowhere to go because Miami now has a wall set up on the blue line.

In all honesty I think he'd make a good forward. He doesn't have the size to be a Dman nor the tenacity to make up for it like some smaller dmen do. 

I'm not just basing this off last nights game, it's been happening all season long. Miami just exposed him worse than anyone else has all season. 

10 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

In all honesty I think he'd make a good forward. He doesn't have the size to be a Dman nor the tenacity to make up for it like some smaller dmen do. 

I'm not just basing this off last nights game, it's been happening all season long. Miami just exposed him worse than anyone else has all season. 

I think he has all the skill and ability needed to become a very good defender. Last year he split time with Shaw as a freshman and had limited responsibility on a very good team. Time will tell, but in my opinion everything is there if he's able to put it all together. If I remember right he was a forward for quite a while before switching to defense prior to coming here. (not sure what age he started playing D if I'm remembering correctly)

Now they are in the same position they were before the Union game, at 10th in the PWR, getting close to the cliff. Tonight has turned into a must win situation for them. I know it's been talked about to death, but what's so frustrating is they just can't seem to turn the corner. They come off a great weekend and then play awful at home. Get the win tonight and sweep Duluth and let's go from there. The only team that has more L's than them in the Top 20 is BC, they need another string of W's in a row.

4 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Not sure what your problem is,

7 to 10 is a LITTLE troubling.

82 game streak??? What does this do to them besides give less bragging rights to fans?

I posted a pic of my dog to respond to the pic of a dog right before that! 

Now why don't you drum up some smart ass comment and drop a ....... witty "Carry on" so we can all chuckle at your great come back! 

Again....Every time they lose one game your world ends! Hopefully that undefeated season comes someday so you can be satisfied! Wonder what Miami is thinking in their position? Bet they are playing to make the tournament, how do the two teams compare as far as pairwise?

I don't know what it is but when I see statistics like these that end up being mentioned by journalists time and time again, it drives me up a damn wall. No, I'm not calling you a journalist, but other than bragging rights I have a hard time tapping into their true significance. Great, streaks get run up, and if it helps the stat, seldom do we see the mention of it outside of Jayson's Gems at the games. When we lose and it's something that "significant," it only cuts deeper and that's the last thing fans, much less the team, need(s). 

Not to beat a dead horse, but we need a turnaround tonight. Every aspect of the game. More focus, less cockiness, better overall effort. One of the most difficult games I've ever been to. On the bright side, that Boeser one-timer got me real fired up. Happy to see him back; great to see his sacrifice panning out like it has.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

Do you suppose that when the boys got up 3-1 they started thinking is was like last weekend and nothing could go wrong?   Time to rack up some stats, thought they were all that and a bag of chips sort of problem....   Defense looking to be a little too "offensively minded"...

I think this is one of the problems with a young team. Some of these guys have to learn that you win games by putting in a full 60 minutes of work and that being a team with a target on your back as defending NCAA and NCHC champions makes it just that much harder. There is still time to salvage this season, but we don't have time for a repeat of last night's nonsense. We need to string together some wins.

14 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

I don't know what it is but when I see statistics like these that end up being mentioned by journalists time and time again, it drives me up a damn wall. No, I'm not calling you a journalist, but other than bragging rights I have a hard time tapping into their true significance. Great, streaks get run up, and if it helps the stat, seldom do we see the mention of it outside of Jayson's Gems at the games. When we lose and it's something that "significant," it only cuts deeper and that's the last thing fans, much less the team, need(s). 

Not to beat a dead horse, but we need a turnaround tonight. Every aspect of the game. More focus, less cockiness, better overall effort. One of the most difficult games I've ever been to. On the bright side, that Boeser one-timer got me real fired up. Happy to see him back; great to see his sacrifice panning out like it has.

This was exactly my point. I was quoting Ox there...:silly:

Other then that confusion, I agree 100%

16 minutes ago, hky said:

You could feel it slipping away towards the end of the 2nd.  Things didn't get corrected at the break and it got ugly in a hurry.  This team doesn't have the depth to roll four lines. 

I don't think it's a forward depth issue...to me it's compete level and being hard to play against in the neutral zone and defensive zone.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I was scratching my head on his spin move wondering what the heck he was thinking of.

17 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I don't think it's a forward depth issue...to me it's compete level and being hard to play against in the neutral zone and defensive zone.  

^^^^^ This. Sometimes they're dominant other times it doesn't even look like the same team. Don't know what to attribute that to, but hope they resolve the issue soon.

Just now, UNDPUCKS said:

Perhaps a fitness issue, since Miami started dominating late in the second and continued for the rest of the game? They did a couple of lucky bounces that could have been averted with some hustle. The 5 was not a five. Wasn't even a head hit.

Watch it again. Pogo's elbow hits the guy's head.

1 hour ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

I don't know what it is but when I see statistics like these that end up being mentioned by journalists time and time again, it drives me up a damn wall. No, I'm not calling you a journalist, but other than bragging rights I have a hard time tapping into their true significance. 

The true significance is that UND has been extremely strong protecting leads after 2 periods for an extending period of time. The true significance is that UND totally collapsed in the 3rd like they haven't in a long lomg time. The true significance is UND lost a game they firmly had in control for 30+ minutes at home. It's one game but it is a big deviation from the norm for UND. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I think he has all the skill and ability needed to become a very good defender. Last year he split time with Shaw as a freshman and had limited responsibility on a very good team. Time will tell, but in my opinion everything is there if he's able to put it all together. If I remember right he was a forward for quite a while before switching to defense prior to coming here. (not sure what age he started playing D if I'm remembering correctly)

I agree other than that he lacks the natural hard nosed toughness a small defender needs to be successful. Maybe he can improve on playing the man, but he just doesn't have that dig your heels in mentality IMO. I think he could do some damage up front and could play the point on the PP. Won't happen either way