SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Can't remember if it had been brought up here or not, but SFI says Clive Georges will not be back for 2017.

Sucks, but should not be detrimental to the team. Still a ton of talent on the receiving end. I hope Studs is ready to chuck the pigskin ...

Santiago, Mckinney, Toivenen, Wanzek, Mercer, Cloyd, Greibel, Stanley, maybe Pinke.

There is a ton of talent out there. Keaton definitely has the tools, and if he can be consistent from the beginning, our run game is that much more dangers (Santiago, Oliveira, JJ, Gordon)!!!

I really liked when they would run the Wanzek to Toivenen reverse last season, but I have to think if you use someone like Santiago to Mckinney, you'll be getting a lot of yards.

So ready for the season!!!  alskjflasfjdisjLAKJDSFLIAJSDJFLASDKJF .....FOOTBALL!!!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Here is the attendance #'s for 2016 FCS season.

http://stats.ncaa.org/reports/attendance?id=15140

UND 28th with 9944 average attendance and 80.96% capacity.

UND in 2015 was 40th with 8318 average attendance and 67.72% capacity. 

Great work by Bubba, the Fighting Hawks team, and of course the fans!!

• Upvote 1

Best get season tickets asap for next year. I'd expect there will be few good seats available by next fall, and those getting single game tickets may have to sit in end zone sections. The price increase was a mere $5, from 90 to 95 for the 5 games. A great deal.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, sprig said:

Best get season tickets asap for next year. I'd expect there will be few good seats available by next fall, and those getting single game tickets may have to sit in end zone sections. The price increase was a mere $5, from 90 to 95 for the 5 games. A great deal.

Those tickets are a steal. Our tailgating group got a block of 16 season tickets, so we can all stay together and not have to jockey for a position up on the rail.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Those tickets are a steal. Our tailgating group got a block of 16 season tickets, so we can all stay together and not have to jockey for a position up on the rail.

Got my buddy that was at 4 games last year to buy a season ticket when he was at a hockey series (WMU series). We found 2 seats together a row in front of where I sat in sec 215.  I see now all seats below the entrance in that section, including the one I left, are now gone. Have to sit above the entrance (still some good seats) now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sprig said:

Got my buddy that was at 4 games last year to buy a season ticket when he was at a hockey series (WMU series). We found 2 seats together a row in front of where I sat in sec 215.  I see now all seats below the entrance in that section, including the one I left, are now gone. Have to sit above the entrance (still some good seats) now.

I'll be vacating my great seats in 215 for these ones to be with the guys across the stadium. 215 is a solid section.

• Upvote 1

Very interested to see how well our O-line performs next year. Here is the list of players from UND's roster this season. Pretty good sized group of kids. Another off-season in the dining center and weight room and I'll be interested to see how many more get through that 300 pound threshold. Obviously want strong guys that can open holes for the run game, but as we are adding talent at WR, I'd really like to see some of these guys get even bigger and tougher to get by.

53 Grant Aplin OL 6-1 300 So. Victoria, Minn. (Chanhassen High School)
61 Brandon Miller OL 6-5 315 Jr. Waterford, Wis. (Waterford Union High School)
62 Ryan Tobin OL 6-4 280 Fr. Muskego, Wis. (Muskego High School)
63 Devan Hunt OL 6-4 295 Fr. Edina, Minn. (Edina High School)
65 Demon Taylor OL 6-4 310 So. St. Louis, Mo. (Soldan International Studies)
66 Nathan Nguon OL 6-3 285 Fr. Burnsville, Minn. (Eagan High School)
67 Patric Rooney OL 6-3 295 RFr. St. Louis Park, Minn. (Benilde-St. Margaret's School)
68 Bryce Blair OL 6-4 265 RFr. Greenwood Village, Colo. (Cherry Creek High School)
70 Sean Russo OL 6-6 275 Fr. Highlands Ranch, Colo. (ThunderRidge High School)
72 Mat Cox OL 6-5 300 Jr. Olympia, Wash. (Capital High School)
73 Bennett Helgren OL 6-5 290 Fr. Edina, Minn. (Edina High School)
74 Michael Coe OL 6-3 300 Sr. Carlsbad, Calif. (Western New Mexico)
75 Adam Stiner OL 6-6 280 So. Verona, Wis. (Verona High School)
76 Dan Bell OL 6-5 310 Jr. Menomonee Falls, Wis. (Menomonee Falls High School)
78 A.J. Stockwell OL 6-5 315 Jr. Apple Valley, Minn. (Eastview High School)

Can't wait to take down Utah!

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Very interested to see how well our O-line performs next year. Here is the list of players from UND's roster this season. Pretty good sized group of kids. Another off-season in the dining center and weight room and I'll be interested to see how many more get through that 300 pound threshold. Obviously want strong guys that can open holes for the run game, but as we are adding talent at WR, I'd really like to see some of these guys get even bigger and tougher to get by.

53 Grant Aplin OL 6-1 300 So. Victoria, Minn. (Chanhassen High School)
61 Brandon Miller OL 6-5 315 Jr. Waterford, Wis. (Waterford Union High School)
62 Ryan Tobin OL 6-4 280 Fr. Muskego, Wis. (Muskego High School)
63 Devan Hunt OL 6-4 295 Fr. Edina, Minn. (Edina High School)
65 Demon Taylor OL 6-4 310 So. St. Louis, Mo. (Soldan International Studies)
66 Nathan Nguon OL 6-3 285 Fr. Burnsville, Minn. (Eagan High School)
67 Patric Rooney OL 6-3 295 RFr. St. Louis Park, Minn. (Benilde-St. Margaret's School)
68 Bryce Blair OL 6-4 265 RFr. Greenwood Village, Colo. (Cherry Creek High School)
70 Sean Russo OL 6-6 275 Fr. Highlands Ranch, Colo. (ThunderRidge High School)
72 Mat Cox OL 6-5 300 Jr. Olympia, Wash. (Capital High School)
73 Bennett Helgren OL 6-5 290 Fr. Edina, Minn. (Edina High School)
74 Michael Coe OL 6-3 300 Sr. Carlsbad, Calif. (Western New Mexico)
75 Adam Stiner OL 6-6 280 So. Verona, Wis. (Verona High School)
76 Dan Bell OL 6-5 310 Jr. Menomonee Falls, Wis. (Menomonee Falls High School)
78 A.J. Stockwell OL 6-5 315 Jr. Apple Valley, Minn. (Eastview High School)

Can't wait to take down Utah!

I recall feeling very worried about our OL this time last year, turned out to be for good reason. Right now I am only slightly worried.

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I recall feeling very worried about our OL this time last year, turned out to be for good reason. Right now I am only slightly worried.

I agree, I think we have very good pieces in all the other places........and if our line can take a step forward next year that will likely be the most important factor on our season and how consistent we are throughout the year.  Took a step back last year on the OL, particularly at the beginning of the season with 4 new starters.  I'm hoping this fall is the year our OL comes out of the gate strong so we don't have to struggle so much the first 2-3 games of the year.  

• Upvote 1

On February 1, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Westside said:

Had been speculated on here, but Coach Schmidt did just say on signing show that Tanner Palmborg will be moving from S to OLB.

I've heard of some linebacker moves, as well.  Spring ball will help define what that defense will look like.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Correct, last year was rough at the beginning of the year (first 4 games or so). This upcoming year, I couldn't be more excited for the unit. No matter which way you slice it, you have 4 starters returning from a unit that gelled and played relatively well at the end of the year. Besides the 4 starters, you have 4 others that started at least a game. On top of that, you have a talented RS Freshman class (SFI guys said yesterday that Tobin / Nyguon will play next year for sure) and along with those 2, Tom Miller also said he's heard great things from Russo. Long story short, not only will they have experience next year, but depth also.

• Upvote 1

I'm not overly concerned about the o line.   They have the talent but now have experience....unlike the beginning of last year.  While I don't think they are the best I don't think they were the main issue last year. Opposing teams know our strengths and weaknesses......thus they stacked the box against our inexperienced line, sometimes with 10 (Mont st)  Very hard for even the best o line to block.  Brady's girth/power seemed more effective than Santiago and his scat style.  So maybe we will see more of a Brady/ James combo next year...,Santiago out wide.  Two 230 lb backs with nice speed should be a nice compliment to an experienced line.   

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree, I think we have very good pieces in all the other places........and if our line can take a step forward next year that will likely be the most important factor on our season and how consistent we are throughout the year.  Took a step back last year on the OL, particularly at the beginning of the season with 4 new starters.  I'm hoping this fall is the year our OL comes out of the gate strong so we don't have to struggle so much the first 2-3 games of the year.  

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Correct, last year was rough at the beginning of the year (first 4 games or so). This upcoming year, I couldn't be more excited for the unit. No matter which way you slice it, you have 4 starters returning from a unit that gelled and played relatively well at the end of the year. Besides the 4 starters, you have 4 others that started at least a game. On top of that, you have a talented RS Freshman class (SFI guys said yesterday that Tobin / Nyguon will play next year for sure) and along with those 2, Tom Miller also said he's heard great things from Russo. Long story short, not only will they have experience next year, but depth also.

We have experience that we didn't have last year and that is a huge factor. Will be interesting to see if we can land a FBS lineman this spring because that could play a huge part. Then again I keep hearing the coaches are high on some of the younger guys so that also has me feeling optimistic. I am looking forward to spring ball more than ever.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

After last season, I think I might prefer a D2 grad transfer over someone who couldn't cut it in FBS.

Good point, but remember we had some great success with FBS grads as well. Not sure how many FBS drop downs that weren't grads that made it. Clive was held back by injuries but really wasn't a difference maker. Tillman and Hansen I believe were both grads that played their senior years here very successfully. Every other drop down that I can think of was a wash out for one reason or another. 

9 hours ago, shep said:

We had season tix last year. Don't we get first crack at them this year? If so, when does that option come up?

Invoices sent in May with your cc donation level and season tickets cost listed. You can make changes and pay the invoice.  If you want to change seat location,  you can do that now for any sport except men's hockey.  If you want to move your hockey seats, requests to move are emailed in after the invoice is paid. You may not get the move for hockey unless seats there available. 

• Upvote 1