SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

At the end of the season Bubba named 3 positions that had to be better for this team to take the next step.

• Offensive line: They were atrocious the first 4 games, replacing 4 starters and a TE. They really came together as a solid group by the end of the year. As mentioned before, they have 8 players returning that started games and only lose 1 (very good) player. Along with the 8 players returning, there are glowing reviews from 3 players who will be RS freshman next year. The O-Line will be solid and deep next year. Check
  • Secondary: They gave up too many big plays this year and depth was an issue. They return 2 All-Americans and two CB's that I believe are the real deal in Hunt and Holm, both who played as freshman last year. They'll both get better with a year under their belt. If Arnell is granted a medical RS, they'll return all their starters. Stewart was picked up, which will help depth. Hopefully some of the younger guys like Canady, Randolph and Tucker will be able to push for a 2-deep spot. I really like this group. Check
  • QB: Studsrud was inconsistent last year, looking great at times and bad others. I'll scratch the first four games, since the O-line was really bad in front of him. It's important to note too that when Georges went down, it left him with Stanley being the only returning WR that played the rest of the way. This year they return their top 4 WR's, Mercer came on big at the end of the year and TT / Wanzek were very good as true freshman. He'll have a lot of weapons this year. Zimmerman will need to be a player as a back up, which is still a question. Questionable

Along with the three that Bubba mentioned, I also look for big holes that were created due to graduation. The only unit that was hit hard was the Linebacker unit, which will lose 3 starters and another off the 2-deep chart. 

• LB: Return 4 off the two deep chart that played significant minutes last year. Losing 1/2 is pretty significant, so hopefully there's a handful that are ready to step up.

There's no question this will be the most hyped team of the D-1 era, they are coming off their best year as a program and return so much. This should also be the first team that I'd say has true depth up and down their roster, with only one group that I'd call a true "work in progress". Can't wait for August. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AJS said:

At the end of the season Bubba named 3 positions that had to be better for this team to take the next step.

• Offensive line: They were atrocious the first 4 games, replacing 4 starters and a TE. They really came together as a solid group by the end of the year. As mentioned before, they have 8 players returning that started games and only lose 1 (very good) player. Along with the 8 players returning, there are glowing reviews from 3 players who will be RS freshman next year. The O-Line will be solid and deep next year. Check
  • Secondary: They gave up too many big plays this year and depth was an issue. They return 2 All-Americans and two CB's that I believe are the real deal in Hunt and Holm, both who played as freshman last year. They'll both get better with a year under their belt. If Arnell is granted a medical RS, they'll return all their starters. Stewart was picked up, which will help depth. Hopefully some of the younger guys like Canady, Randolph and Tucker will be able to push for a 2-deep spot. I really like this group. Check
  • QB: Studsrud was inconsistent last year, looking great at times and bad others. I'll scratch the first four games, since the O-line was really bad in front of him. It's important to note too that when Georges went down, it left him with Stanley being the only returning WR that played the rest of the way. This year they return their top 4 WR's, Mercer came on big at the end of the year and TT / Wanzek were very good as true freshman. He'll have a lot of weapons this year. Zimmerman will need to be a player as a back up, which is still a question. Questionable

Along with the three that Bubba mentioned, I also look for big holes that were created due to graduation. The only unit that was hit hard was the Linebacker unit, which will lose 3 starters and another off the 2-deep chart. 

• LB: Return 4 off the two deep chart that played significant minutes last year. Losing 1/2 is pretty significant, so hopefully there's a handful that are ready to step up.

There's no question this will be the most hyped team of the D-1 era, they are coming off their best year as a program and return so much. This should also be the first team that I'd say has true depth up and down their roster, with only one group that I'd call a true "work in progress". Can't wait for August. 

Mostly agree, The team will be pretty good and balanced; and could be great. Many players back.

Some concern regarding our offensive line, could be mediocre to good first half of season, good by last part of season. Studsrud needs to stay healthy, which means less running with the ball.

Special teams showed a few weaknesses, need a big step up here to round out the team.

Compliments on the rest, including the coaching staff.

7 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Mostly agree, The team will be pretty good and balanced; and could be great. Many players back.

Some concern regarding our offensive line, could be mediocre to good first half of season, good by last part of season. Studsrud needs to stay healthy, which means less running with the ball.

Special teams showed a few weaknesses, need a big step up here to round out the team.

Compliments on the rest, including the coaching staff.

O -line.  It was disappointing last year on many or even most occasions we couldn't get the ball into the end zone from the 2 yard line and in by smash mouth. We were stuffed way more times than even gained an inch.  Not having that push across the front in goal line shows we were not a dominate bunch up front last year.  We should be better this year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

O -line.  It was disappointing last year on many or even most occasions we couldn't get the ball into the end zone from the 2 yard line and in by smash mouth. We were stuffed way more times than even gained an inch.  Not having that push across the front in goal line shows we were not a dominate bunch up front last year.  We should be better this year.

We have to be. Especially if Santiago remains at RB. Night and day difference this year from last with the holes he had to work with.

12 hours ago, AJS said:

You covered the three areas Bubba brought up and there are obvious things in motion in each of those areas. 

You hit the area (LB) that he didn't bring up but that should seem to be a concern. Does Schmidt have some guys ready in the wings to step in and up? 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You covered the three areas Bubba brought up and there are obvious things in motion in each of those areas. 

You hit the area (LB) that he didn't bring up but that should seem to be a concern. Does Schmidt have some guys ready in the wings to step in and up? 

#55 is a younger guy and I can't remember his name, but he looked good at ILB this past season. I will have to pull up a depth chart when I have more time later today.

53 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We have to be. Especially if Santiago remains at RB. Night and day difference this year from last with the holes he had to work with.

Will he though?  With Olivera back there and Johannesson transferring in, is there room for all 3?  I would think you would want to get all 3 of those guys in as much as possible.  I would really like to see Santiago be a slot guy and catch some short passes with the opportunity to rack up some good YAC.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Will he though?  With Olivera back there and Johannesson transferring in, is there room for all 3?  I would think you would want to get all 3 of those guys in as much as possible.  I would really like to see Santiago be a slot guy and catch some short passes with the opportunity to rack up some good YAC.  

You and a lot of others.  I get he was our best running back two years ago but man he could be a weapon in the slot.   His speed won't do us a lot of good when he is on the sidelines because JJ and #5 need to get their carries as well.  

22 minutes ago, homer said:

You and a lot of others.  I get he was our best running back two years ago but man he could be a weapon in the slot.   His speed won't do us a lot of good when he is on the sidelines because JJ and #5 need to get their carries as well.  

Put all three on the field. Full house backfield with tons of motion in all directions. Could be a nightmare for defenses.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Put all three on the field. Full house backfield with tons of motion in all directions. Could be a nightmare for defenses. For the love of God we need to start screen passes next season. The way teams were playing us we could have killed with a screen pass here and there.

Don't hold your breath.  It seems identity carries more weight than creativity or schematics and that's the way we are going to coach.  Hopefully we can strike a balance offensively in 2017.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Put all three on the field. Full house backfield with tons of motion in all directions. Could be a nightmare for defenses. For the love of God we need to start screen passes next season. The way teams were playing us we could have killed with a screen pass here and there.

amen...

My best guesses looking at LBs for 2017:

Prognosis: Pretty thin

MLBs -- Starters: O'Brien, Rodgers; 2-deep options: Dijon Murray, Cameron Hunt

OLBs -- Starters: Disterhaupt, Lawrence; 2-deep options: Keelan Poole, Ray Haas

Waiting in the wings: Jake Rastas

Possible pulled RS: Noah Larson

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Look for Palmborg to move to outside backer and give a boost to the position.  That gives us 3 outsides with significant playing experience.(with Jake and Jade)  Throw in a guy like Ray Haas and we're 2 deep at outside.  O'Brien and Rodgers start at the inside spots and Hunt and Murray have a solid shot for the 2-deep.  Jaxson Turner and Keelan Poole are really athletic, will have a shot at 2-deep.  Geier might slide down to outside, too.  Their is a couple other younger guys too.....the guys filling out their frames more are candidates for inside.  I don't think the staff is too worried about the linebackers.   

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Look for Palmborg to move to outside backer and give a boost to the position.  That gives us 3 outsides with significant playing experience.(with Jake and Jade)  Throw in a guy like Ray Haas and we're 2 deep at outside.  O'Brien and Rodgers start at the inside spots and Hunt and Murray have a solid shot for the 2-deep.  Jaxson Turner and Keelan Poole are really athletic, will have a shot at 2-deep.  Geier might slide down to outside, too.  Their is a couple other younger guys too.....the guys filling out their frames more are candidates for inside.  I don't think the staff is too worried about the linebackers.   

I like the palmborg move...he should excel there.   If Ray haas has filled out his frame a bit, he could very very good.  Was very active in practice and his length could give opposing teams fits.  Pretty excited to see what he brings in spring ball. 

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Good stuff!  I meant to add Jaxon Turner to the mix, too. 

1 minute ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

High expectations for LB Jaxson Turner.  Should be on the field a lot next season.  They are high on him.

Wow!  With the possible position changes of Palmborg and Geier, sliding them up closer to line of scrimmage and the addition of guys like Haas and Turner, with established guys such as Disterhaupt and Lawrence -- that is some serious speed on the edges!!!!

• Upvote 2