SiouxSports.com Forum

Bartels or Heidelbaugh?

geaux_sioux

3 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Last play he was injured and hobbled off 

1 minute ago, siouxperfanman said:

He hobbled off on that boot play

But wasn't he the one in kneeling in victory formation? Not that you need to be real healthy to do that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I know I've said it before but if he didn't get that Achilles injury he would be our starter right now and would have been last year. It was a horrible break for him and the program because it pushed Studs out there before he was ready. He should be a RS soph backup being groomed to start for next year right now. Too bad. As a result we're still scrambling for qb depth.

I don't know that Rudolph's offense fit his style of play...

I did like Joe in the pocket.

10 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

Got to go with Brad H. Everyone has to temper their expectations though for either guy. Brad H needs the time. But you don't have to change the offense much with him. Scale it back some perhaps. Brad is more like Keaton. He's a big strong kid who can make a difference with his legs. Ryan B just, well, isn't that kind of QB.

Remember when Keaton first started he averaged like 70 yds passing per game. And let's be realistic, Keaton hasn't exactly been lighting it up the past few weeks himself. 

Would be nice to see what we have. With Brad under center perhaps it causes everyone else to raise their respective games to another level to support the young guy....

Keaton was pulled off of the scout team. Totally different situation. Brad should be able to give us over 100 yards if the coaches start him. He should also be able to run a fair amount. He's a pretty big kid so maybe he will hold up. I didn't like his demeanor though..... his body language was terrible. 

My uneducated guess is that either Keaton goes at less than 100% or they decide to hold him out and give him another week to heal for the No. Arizona game.  If he doesn't play, I would go with the senior.  He hadn't played In a game all season and came in Sat. in a high pressure game and was 2-5 and should have been 3-5 because of the drop.  Granted, he should have hit the other two, but I'll give him a little slack for not having played a down all season.  As a senior, I think that he can be trusted to manage the game and hit an occasional pass to give the offense a little balance.  Nothing whatsoever against Heidelbaugh, but with the playoffs and a conference championship on the line, I would go with the 5th year senior.  JMO.

• Upvote 2

Maybe we should go with Brad, he's pretty efficient...

PASSING  GP-GS  Effic  Cmp-Att-Int  Pct  Yards   TD  Long  Avg/G 
Keaton Studsrud  9-9   138.3  124-208-2  59.6  1564  11  74  173.8 
Ryan Bartels    1-0   61.8  2-5-0  40.0  13  13.0 
Brad Heidlebaugh  2-0   446.8  1-1-0  100.0  1.0 
  • Upvote 1

With a week of practice knowing that he might be the starter instead of just being thrown in there in a tight spot maybe Brad will prove to be very capable. You already know what Bartels will give you so why not put Brad in and see what he's got.  Sometimes guys come out of nowhere to surprise you.

• Upvote 1

You go with the senior Bartles.  He has played when we didn't protect QB's or have a running game. He hasn't played with a line that protects him and a running game.  They need to move Mollberg back to QB until Studsrud is healthy.  He is a good enough athlete and smart enough he will be ready to play if needed.  Hanson also could move back to QB.  We need to be able to throw the ball and Bartles can do that.  We need to win next game no matter who is at quarterback.  Need to have 3 QB's ready. I would play Mollberg cuz he can make all of the throws but he hasn't practiced at QB and Bartles has so I would go,with Bartles.  I wouldn't watch  either Bartles or Heidelbaugh struggle for very long. They would both be on a short leash. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

This keyboard know-it-all thinks it will be Heidelbaugh if Keaton is out.

UND coaches made that decision against Weber.  He was the first one in to replace Keaton.  I'd expect that to be the case again new weekend.

(in Bubba we trust, right?)

Obviously coaches make the decision and you may be right! They could very well start Heidelbaugh. The questioned was posed for bloggers to opine.  Doesn't mean we don't trust coaches.  They are the ones at practice everyday and they are doing a good job.  If they never made mistakes we would not have lost to a crappy Bowling Green team and maybe not to SB.  Right now I don't trust our special teams play.  We can't cover a kick off, or return a punt. We finally returned a kickoff.   Our punting and place kicking has been inconsistent.  We need to improve or we will get beat in a close game like we did at Stony.  No excuse for continued poor special teams play.

If the coaches feel there isn't much difference between Heidelbaugh and Bartles......I'd go with the senior.   Still thought it was strange to put Heidalbaugh in for a play and then play Bartels the rest of the way.   They had Heidelbaugh at the number 2 right?  Maybe when he got in there, they just all of the sudden didn't feel that comfortable with him in there so switched to Bartles.  But with a full week getting ready for the game knowing you may be starting maybe they'll go back to Heidelbaugh since he was the number 2 guy.  Will be interesting to see which way they go.......although would be nice if Studs is ok to play, but don't want him to play if he's still injured and could re-injure it.

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

If the coaches feel there isn't much difference between Heidelbaugh and Bartles......I'd go with the senior.   Still thought it was strange to put Heidalbaugh in for a play and then play Bartels the rest of the way.   They had Heidelbaugh at the number 2 right?  Maybe when he got in there, they just all of the sudden didn't feel that comfortable with him in there so switched to Bartles.  But with a full week getting ready for the game knowing you may be starting maybe they'll go back to Heidelbaugh since he was the number 2 guy.  Will be interesting to see which way they go.......although would be nice if Studs is ok to play, but don't want him to play if he's still injured and could re-injure it.

To be fair the depth chart say Heidelbaugh or Bartels as the #2.

I'll trust the coaches on this. If they don't think Brad is quite ready, then go with Ryan. Don't go with Ryan because he is the easy choice though. He has certainly had more experience, but we have also seen his limitations.

I would like to see a heavy does of Brad, with a little Ryan sprinkled in to keep the defense guessing. If Keaton isn't 100%, but can still play, maybe we start Keaton, but sprinkle Brad into the mix. The thing with Brad is defenses won't have much to go off of. That being said, he can't be throwing ducks up either. That grab by Wanzek was a very heads up play. Even more vital to get the run game going, and going early this week.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Is Studsrud ruled out? 

He was throwing the ball well after the injury and sounded like he wanted to go back in but Bubba did the right thing and held him out as a precaution. 

He will start....book it. Whether he finishes ....that's another story.