SiouxSports.com Forum

Bartels or Heidelbaugh?

geaux_sioux

18 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Is Studsrud ruled out? 

He was throwing the ball well after the injury and sounded like he wanted to go back in but Bubba did the right thing and held him out as a precaution. 

I'm more concerned with how he was able to throw the ball on Sunday. Not sure what the injury was; bad bruise, sprain, etc. but hopefully whatever it was didn't tighten up too much or feel worse the next day.

I'm sure the training staff will be taking care of him all week, and if he CAN go, he probably WILL. I want to see him in, but only if he can be effective. If he is going to go in and try to force throws that he can't make with an injury, the coaching staff will need to make some decisions.

Regardless, I'm sure Bartels and Heidelbaugh will be extra focused in practice this week.

Our run game SMOKED UNC last year. I know UNC is a better team this season, but we need to have a little bit of a repeat this weekend.

• Upvote 1

Brad came in when Keaton got hurt, that says to me that the coaching staff feels he's the #2 starter.  At least going into the game.

Heidelbaugh's throw was a duck, yes.  He struggled on some calls, hence why they brought in Bartles.  But to me the reason Brad struggled is a coaching problem.  He hasn't gotten any playing time - at all - the whole year.  Most of our games have been close but there have been a few series at the end of games where he could have been brought in just to get his feet wet.  I think that was a mistake that bit the staff when it came time for Brad to come in.  Thankfully his TD pass was caught because it was a huge huge play.

We all knew that Keaton was going to get hurt at some point during the year and it's too bad that they didn't more properly prepare for it.

All that said I'd be surprised if Keaton doesn't play this week.  No more QB runs for him for a while, though.  At least I hope!

How many plays did Heidelbaugh play in the game? Just the two at the goal line? Did he run the next series (handing it off 22 twice and 5 once)? Or was that Bartles? The series after that clearly was Bartles because the play-by-play shows a Bartels incompletion to 11. 

http://www.undsports.com/pdf9/5049138.pdf

Honestly, I'm wondering if Heidelbaugh came in at the goal line because either (a) they had a goal line package installed for him this week, or (b) Bartels couldn't find his helmet. :0

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

How many plays did Heidelbaugh play in the game? Just the two at the goal line? Did he run the next series (handing it off 22 twice and 5 once)? Or was that Bartles? The series after that clearly was Bartles because the play-by-play shows a Bartels incompletion to 11. 

Honestly, I'm wondering if Heidelbaugh came in at the goal line because either (a) they had a goal line package installed for him this week, or (b) Bartels couldn't find his helmet. :0

Brad handed off once to Brady and then Bartels came in on that series.

So Bartels came in after Heidelbaugh ran (2 + 3 + 1) plays: 

- goal line hand off to 5
- TD pass
- to 22
- to 22
- to 5 (punt)
- to 5
- Bartles comes in on 2nd and 12 (with under 12:36 in the 3rd)

That confuses me. Waiting that long (third series) says it's not a missing helmet or even time for Bartels to throw and get warmed up. But Heidelbaugh only attempted one pass, so it's not how he's throwing. Did he look that uncomfortable out there that they decided to bring in the senior? 

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Are we going to start a rumor that as soon as Keaton went down Heidelbaugh grabbed Bartel's helmet and quickly hid it? Cuz I'm all for starting rumors. haha

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Are we going to start a rumor that as soon as Keaton went down Heidelbaugh grabbed Bartel's helmet and quickly hid it? Cuz I'm all for starting rumors. haha

It was Santiago doing the hiding because he and the other backs knew they'd run more with Heidelbaugh (5 run, 1 pass) in there! :D 

14 minutes ago, siouxperfanman said:

Word on campus is studs will be a week or two. Bartels will likely get start cause he has the experience

Ugh..........if true and UND misses the playoffs due to his inability to play in the last 2 games with UND getting another snub at 7-4 a GoFundMe account will be started to buy out Rudolph's contract.  Who's in?

• Upvote 1

If Bartels can consistently pass like the one he threw to toivenen (which was dropped), I wouldn't be too concerned. But consistency has been the question over the past few years. 

I don't see either QB being asked to throw much in this game, but they do have to throw some. We need some completions to keep the pass threat (err potential) there, but there will be a HEAVY dose of the ground game this week.O-Line need to step up in a BIG way.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

If Bartels can consistently pass like the one he threw to toivenen (which was dropped), I wouldn't be too concerned. But consistency has been the question over the past few years. 

I don't see either QB being asked to throw much in this game, but they do have to throw some. We need some completions to keep the pass threat (err potential) there, but there will be a HEAVY dose of the ground game this week.O-Line need to step up in a BIG way.

You beat me to it!

This year, Keaton has had one game  (s Utah) where he had over 250 yards and 4 TD's.  Every other game we have played he has been under 250 and has thrown 2 or fewer TD's.  This team does not live and die by the quarterback.  We don't need Bartels or Heidelbaugh to have to come in pass for over 300 and throw 3 TD's to win the game.  Our bread and butter is running the ball, playing good defense, and forcing turnovers.  As much as QB's don't want to be considered game managers, that is all we are asking our backups (and in a way Studs) to be.  Sure we miss Studs mobility and his ability to make plays with his feet.  But we should be able to overcome that with our two headed monster running attack!!

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, siouxperfanman said:

Word on campus is studs will be a week or two. Bartels will likely get start cause he has the experience

If you want to run the quarterback, then you better have a guy who can take the pounding. Yet UND continues to recruit quarterbacks that are 5'11" and 165 lbs. 

Not a fan of this at all. Disappointed in this, actually. 

Oh well, injuries happen. Next man up. Defense, special teams, and running game needs to be clean the next week or two ... or else 

Coaches need to get them ready to battle. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If you want to run the quarterback, then you better have a guy who can take the pounding. Yet, UND continues to recruit quarterbacks that are 5'11" and 165 lbs. 

Umm....what are you talking about??

Molberg - 6'2", 235 lbs

Bartels - 6'3", 215 lbs

Studsrud - 6'1", 195 lbs

Heidelbaugh - 6'4", 220 lbs

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

This year, Keaton has had one game  (s Utah) where he had over 250 yards and 4 TD's.  Every other game we have played he has been under 250 and has thrown 2 or fewer TD's.  This team does not live and die by the quarterback.  We don't need Bartels or Heidelbaugh to have to come in pass for over 300 and throw 3 TD's to win the game.  Our bread and butter is running the ball, playing good defense, and forcing turnovers.  As much as QB's don't want to be considered game managers, that is all we are asking our backups (and in a way Studs) to be.  Sure we miss Studs mobility and his ability to make plays with his feet.  But we should be able to overcome that with our two headed monster running attack!!

I think what we will lose most in Keaton, other than the run capability he has shown, is just the leadership and demeanor he has on the field. Call it game management, call it field presence, call it what you want, but he does a good job of controlling what is going on with the team. I think that is what will be missed most if he does not play, beyond his physical play.

Get rolling early and get a lead, and I think everything will come together just fine. UND is should definitely be in a position to win this game, even if you put LakesBison in at QB. :)

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If you want to run the quarterback, then you better have a guy who can take the pounding. Yet UND continues to recruit quarterbacks that are 5'11" and 165 lbs. 

Heidelbaugh is 6'4" and all of 220. Bubba recruited him...although I do see where you are coming from cause bolinske is small

22 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Get rolling early and get a lead, and I think everything will come together just fine. UND is should definitely be in a position to win this game, even if you put LakesBison in at QB. :)

Now that would be one incredibly short QB.

Studs has been so much better the last two seasons at securing the football. He doesn't turn it over much at all. If either of the backups can avoid turnovers and complete a few decent throws, we'll be in good shape. But there's something about the team when Studs is playing vs when he isn't... even Reyes said he's the team's most important player - in his opinion. Coming from the one player who might contend for that title, that says a lot.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Umm....what are you talking about??

Molberg - 6'2", 235 lbs

Bartels - 6'3", 215 lbs

Studsrud - 6'1", 195 lbs

Heidelbaugh - 6'4", 220 lbs

Mollberg is a tight end, Bartels and Heidelbaugh are both backups and Bartels can't run effectively at all.

Studsrud is by no means a big guy out there when you compare him to linebackers; he takes a pounding.

Lastly, for those who fail to look at the big picture, both 2016's and 2017's recruiting class has a quarterback barely pushing 6 foot and well under 200 lbs. I just am concerned about their longevity if they are ran at the same rate as Studsrud, which is a beyond reasonable question in my opinion. 

41 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

Studs has been so much better the last two seasons at securing the football. He doesn't turn it over much at all. If either of the backups can avoid turnovers and complete a few decent throws, we'll be in good shape. But there's something about the team when Studs is playing vs when he isn't... even Reyes said he's the team's most important player - in his opinion. Coming from the one player who might contend for that title, that says a lot.

This is the whole key right here. Studsrud just doesn't make dumb mistakes with the football that can cause a team to lose games. This is what UND needs out of any QB that starts on Saturday. Yes, it hurts to lose a leader, but I also think it's likely the rest of the team picks it up a notch if Studrud isn't out there. Look at how good the defense played last week after he went down.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not a fan of this at all. Disappointed in this, actually.

Oh well, injuries happen. Next man up. Defense, special teams, and running game needs to be clean the next week or two ... or else

Coaches need to get them ready to battle.

Cam Newton is 6'5" 245 lbs and doesn't feel "safe" playing quarterback...so I don't always think that bigger quarterbacks are less prone to getting hurt than smaller ones...

I think it's more important that you have depth at QB if you are going to run your QB a lot.  I was watching the Air Force/Fresno game last Friday night (insomnia)...and Air Force's QB went down with an injury in the 4th quarter (happens a lot to them with their flexbone offense).  The backup came in and it was like nothing changed...that's what you need if you are going to give your QB 15+ carries per game in my opinion...