SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Minnesota

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, John W. said:

Where does hockey rank in terms of fan interest for Gopher fans.... FB and MBB clearly on top.  If you follow Gopher Hole, Gopher Illustrated and The Daily Gopher blogs, hockey perhaps behind WBB, VB, baseball and for some seasons wrestling. I know UND thinks MN their top rival...big Gopher rival as well, but not TOP, they'd say one of their BigTen rivals perhaps top.  In hockey, their in state battles with Duluth and St Cloud come to mind...UND a long standing rival in hockey to be sue, but biggest?????

You should wait for the oxy fog to clear before you try to explain yourself, John. 

• Upvote 4

Where does hockey rank in terms of fan interest for Gopher fans.... FB and MBB clearly on top.  If you follow Gopher Hole, Gopher Illustrated and The Daily Gopher blogs, hockey perhaps behind WBB, VB, baseball and for some seasons wrestling. I know UND thinks MN their top rival...big Gopher rival as well, but not TOP, they'd say one of their BigTen rivals perhaps top.  In hockey, their in state battles with Duluth and St Cloud come to mind...UND a long standing rival in hockey to be sue, but biggest?????

No one cares about the gophers....we know that. In the TC it's the Wild and that's it. Sucks to be a gopher fan right about now.  Hopefully they can get back to their winning ways and folks start paying attention to them again.

• Upvote 1

Highest ticket price in Gopher hockey history tonight and tomorrow.  

Yes, I'm sure the crowd tonight will be wayyy worse than the games against your other "real" rivals or anyone else the gophers play.  Actually, part of me doesn't want UND to play at Mariucci because it is the only thing that will get people and energy in the seats there (or standing room spots that cost $100)   Yes, it will take UND coming to town to have your best crowd since your squad moved to the Big Ten and quit playing UND.  

It is sad that Gopher men's hockey has fallen so far down the ranks, even behind women's BB and VB eh?  I knew it was bad,but didn't realize it was that bad.  Yikes.  Don't worry, if the hockey team gets a win this weekend the fairweather Twin Cities fans will be back.  (avoid Dinky town if that happens by the way) The Lynx lost some bandwagon fans, Twins dont have many, Vikings are losing fans, maybe you can pick some of them up. 

• Upvote 2

Well, I have stayed away from this thread all week. I should have been totally amped up for this series, but was struggling a bit; just not as excited as I would normally be. Maybe it is National Champions hangover, maybe it is the poor/boring games last weekend against Duluth, maybe it is that I am totally jacked about UND football right now, maybe I'm just getting to be old.

Reading Schloss's article this morning, and watching clips of all of the great times in this rivaly (Bina Goal, Trupp Goal, Porter Wraparound, The Timeout, etc.) IT IS ON!!! I can't wait to park myself in my chair tonight, crack a beer, and enjoy!! I know these kids have not played in this rivalry, but between some former players coming back, and all the clips on YouTube, ANYONE should be able to know what is at stake this weekend. I truly hope for an all out slaughter of the Gophers (extra points to anyone who throws dead gophers on the ice AT Mariucci). Can't wait to hear the Let's Go Sioux!!! chant through the TV, from Mariucci .... It'll be a thing of beauty.

UND needs to get on the board first, and play with a lead for a change. This is a team that was swept by SCSU (who is a good team) but required OT to beat both Clarkson and St. Lawrence. If we can get up on them early, we can take them out of the game. Early pressure boys! DO IT!

I'll be there tomorrow night and CAN'T WAIT!!!

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Well, I have stayed away from this thread all week. I should have been totally amped up for this series, but was struggling a bit; just not as excited as I would normally be. Maybe it is National Champions hangover, maybe it is the poor/boring games last weekend against Duluth, maybe it is that I am totally jacked about UND football right now, maybe I'm just getting to be old.

Reading Schloss's article this morning, and watching clips of all of the great times in this rivaly (Bina Goal, Trupp Goal, Porter Wraparound, The Timeout, etc.) IT IS ON!!! I can't wait to park myself in my chair tonight, crack a beer, and enjoy!! I know these kids have not played in this rivalry, but between some former players coming back, and all the clips on YouTube, ANYONE should be able to know what is at stake this weekend. I truly hope for an all out slaughter of the Gophers (extra points to anyone who throws dead gophers on the ice AT Mariucci). Can't wait to hear the Let's Go Sioux!!! chant through the TV, from Mariucci .... It'll be a thing of beauty.

UND needs to get on the board first, and play with a lead for a change. This is a team that was swept by SCSU (who is a good team) but required OT to beat both Clarkson and St. Lawrence. If we can get up on them early, we can take them out of the game. Early pressure boys! DO IT!

I'll be there tomorrow night and CAN'T WAIT!!!

I'll be there, too! So pumped.

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Want to heat the rivalry back up instantly? It doesn't require a goal, a big hit, a cheap shot, a fight, or anything like that.

When UND comes out for of the tunnel and the stand are filled .... do a nice brief skate with that National Championship trophy from last season. Oh man, would that fire people up ... haha. It would probably be a little classless, but it would be entertaining. haha.

HAHAHA that is a GREAT idea.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, John W. said:

Just check out GPL and look at the length of the discussion thread for a UND-UM series vs. the length of a UW-UM discussion thread and so on. We inspire the most hatred and vitriol on that forum vs. any other team in the world of men's hockey.

This isn't exactly a big statement to make, but Boeser is going to have a huge weekend. Top end talent, local product, I just think he'll rack up some point this weekend.

Also should be fun to see our team play on a bigger sheet of ice. I think it definitely work in favor of our  offense, but our D is going to have to tighten up a bit. I like the idea of our offense having a little extra room to move the puck. 

• Upvote 1

For anyone who's still on the fence about going, ticket prices have fallen from stratospheric levels, as many predicted.   Lots in the $50's as Friday hits.

http://www.stubhub.com/minnesota-golden-gophers-hockey-tickets-minnesota-golden-gophers-north-dakota-fighting-hawks-11-4-2016/event/9624781/?mbox=1&rS=6&abbyo=true&sliderpos=true&qtyq=false&dUpg=false&sort=price+asc&qty=2

Good crowds to be sure, but with so many UND grads having to leave North Dakota to earn a decent wage, many migrate to the Twin Cities...Still a bigger deal to the smaller, less... prestigious school.... UND hockey egos rival  that of Bison football.....

• Downvote 4