SiouxSports.com Forum

Standing Rock Protests

squirtcoach

Just now, Fetch said:

Anyone heard or read how the snow is affecting the protestestor terrorists

Well things have been pretty quiet the last few days, it's been nice (the quiet, not the weather).  Guessing many (not nearly a majority though) have left and the rest are hunkered down waiting for the roads to be cleared.  Not many festivals take place in the snow for a reason, so the hippies should leave soon.  Hopefully they don't discover any dead ones in the snow.

19 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Wells Fargo is getting protested over being a financial backer of the project. 

LOL.  At least these folks were indoors in a nice, warm lobby...they get points for being the smartest of the "water protector" lot.  Probably not saying much, but still.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4171153-dapl-protest-wells-fargo-building-ends-company-agrees-meet-tribe

9 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

LOL.  At least these folks were indoors in a nice, warm lobby...they get points for being the smartest of the "water protector" lot.  Probably not saying much, but still.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4171153-dapl-protest-wells-fargo-building-ends-company-agrees-meet-tribe

Bank down the street probably hoping Wells Fargo backs out.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Permit denied.

This has turned extremely political.  Since when do the Feds work on a Sunday?  Trump willike overturn the decision in January, and even more hate will descend on ND from the No DAPL protesters.  Maybe it will be -30 then.

Should the Corps of Engineers outlaw oil crossings by rail over the Missouri?  Tear down the railroad bridges which are a threat to clean water too.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

This has turned extremely political.  Since when do the Feds work on a Sunday?  Trump willike overturn the decision in January, and even more hate will descend on ND from the No DAPL protesters.  Maybe it will be -30 then.

Should the Corps of Engineers outlaw oil crossings by rail over the Missouri?  Tear down the railroad bridges which are a threat to clean water too.

...........this will do wonders to restore the relationships between the NAs in ND and the rest of the state.

32 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Total BS. Corps approves permits up to the lake and then won't grant the easement. Grandstanding by the government. Glad it will get overturned in January.

Do I understand this correctly, that the Corps originally approved the Missouri crossing permit, then pulled it back and denied it?  That could surely be grounds for a lawsuit, especially with the money invested.  How many wealthy investors in this project and in the pipeline project are now leaning on their political connections?

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

This has turned extremely political.  Since when do the Feds work on a Sunday?  

Staying apolitical, ever since the FBI started doing interviews on the Saturday of the 4th of July weekend. They wouldn't do either (work Sat or Sun) for a true private citizen. 

10 hours ago, Siouxman said:

Do I understand this correctly, that the Corps originally approved the Missouri crossing permit, then pulled it back and denied it?  That could surely be grounds for a lawsuit, especially with the money invested.  How many wealthy investors in this project and in the pipeline project are now leaning on their political connections?

You are correct. The permit was twice challenged by Standing Rock in the courts, and they twice lost that challenge. I don't understand the thought process behind reneging on the permit. What message does it send to possible future investors in our nation's infrastructure? That if some radical group disagrees and you have a sympathetic president that the whole project can be shut down.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Siouxman said:

I hope they DON'T rely on political connections. That's what wrong here. 

First, that is already an energy corridor. That water is under the bridge (see what I did there? ;) ). The engineering science says keep all the like stuff together. That area is already monitored for pipeline leaks ... from the first pipeline put in there back in the 1980s! That's the ... wait for it ... science. 

Next, I don't want ETP to go political. I want them to go legal. Quite literally, sue the Army Corps for reneging on their permit approval. But, do it by naming personally everyone involved in the decision, all the way to the top. If those people, individually, can't prove their decision was sound to the objective process they are liable for abuse, and corruption, and maybe fraud. How about bankrupting them personally and them spending a few days as a ward of the State. 

The catch? None of that will happen. 

What will happen is it'll go political. On or about 1500 hours Eastern on 20 January 2016, an Executive Order will come down permitting that pipeline. It'll become just the latest political mud pie that Side X will throw into the face of Side Y. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I hope they DON'T rely on political connections. That's what wrong here. 

First, that is already an energy corridor. That water is under the bridge (see what I did there? ;) ). The engineering science says keep all the like stuff together. That area is already monitored for pipeline leaks ... from the first pipeline put in there back in the 1980s! That's the ... wait for it ... science. 

Next, I don't want ETP to go political. I want them to go legal. Quite literally, sue the Army Corps for reneging on their permit approval. But, do it by naming personally everyone involved in the decision, all the way to the top. If those people, individually, can't prove their decision was sound to the objective process they are liable for abuse, and corruption, and maybe fraud. How about bankrupting them personally and them spending a few days as a ward of the State. 

The catch? None of that will happen. 

What will happen is it'll go political. On or about 1500 hours Eastern on 20 January 2016, an Executive Order will come down permitting that pipeline. It'll become just the latest political mud pie that Side X will throw into the face of Side Y. 

Sadly, you are quite correct. I would rather have them challenge it in the court, just as you said as well, but what that will also likely lead to is the American taxpayer funding this pipeline. You can't tell me that there isn't overwhelming proof that through petty politics, our government has cost Energy Transfer millions of dollars. I don't find it that much of a stretch that they could easily sue the government for lost capital and other expenses incurred due to the stalling techniques used.

Along those same lines, I can see the case easily made that North Dakota can be reimbursed through Federal funds for every dollar of expense incurred as well through the unlawful occupation of Corps land. That land has essentially been used as a staging platform for continued unlawful activity that the feds were aware of, and did nothing to stop. I don't think it's that far of a stretch to say that every unlawful activity that has taken place, they are an accomplice to.

• Upvote 1

Maybe this is all just a ploy to get the protesters to go home.  Let things cool off a bit and by the time it is challenged in court, overturned, and the construction begins again, it will be late January, 2 feet of snow on the ground, and -20 degree wind chill.  There will be very few protesters and the construction will go on as planned.  Oh, and Obumer will be out of office in late January as well.  So an executive order is definitely a possibility.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Staying apolitical, ever since the FBI started doing interviews on the Saturday of the 4th of July weekend. They wouldn't do either (work Sat or Sun) for a true private citizen. 

Guess we were feds (USFWS), and we worked Sundays throughout the hunting seasons.  Don't paint every fed with the same broad stroke. 

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Maybe this is all just a ploy to get the protesters to go home.  Let things cool off a bit and by the time it is challenged in court, overturned, and the construction begins again, it will be late January, 2 feet of snow on the ground, and -20 degree wind chill.  There will be very few protesters and the construction will go on as planned.  Oh, and Obumer will be out of office in late January as well.  So an executive order is definitely a possibility.

It sounds like they're going to stay, and I hope they do.  I've heard they're living in such squalor that some protesters are getting sick with all kinds of hygiene related diseases.  If they're dumb enough to stay let them suffer.