SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The numbers speak for themselves...

cost.jpg

I would have rather they cut a couple small sports like M&W Tennis and Golf instead of Swimming and Diving.  What are you going to do with that fantastic competition pool now?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Or that football has an endowment approaching 2 million...

Or that it is the biggest alumni base (over 900 living alumni) with the most annual giving...

Or that the program has a National Alumni Committee of 20+ former players to help aid the program in all areas...

Or that UND Football alums have been paying for Impact Scholarships since the transition...

Or that the program is currently on the rise after winning the BSC and playing in the 2nd round of the FCS Playoffs...

Or that the team attracts 10,000 UND fans for gameday...

Or that revenues are on the rise...

Or that the program has a 123 year tradition and history of success...

Or that silly Title IX thing where it would make it impossible to cut 63 scholarships from the mens side...

Other than that and many other things I haven't mentioned, both sports are pretty comparable.

Thank you. You get it. 

10 minutes ago, cx500d said:

I would have rather they cut a couple small sports like M&W Tennis and Golf instead of Swimming and Diving.  What are you going to do with that fantastic competition pool now?

When we get out of the Big Sky, where tennis is a requirement, drop them, and add men's and women's lax, where we would have new facilities.  I know that is just a dream, but to field a competitive tennis team needs foreign scholarships, making competitive tennis very expensive.

What hasn't been state is how much capital upgrades needs to go into the 40 year old pool.

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

When we get out of the Big Sky, where tennis is a requirement, drop them, and add men's and women's lax, where we would have new facilities.  I know that is just a dream, but to field a competitive tennis team needs foreign scholarships, making competitive tennis very expensive.

What hasn't been state is how much capital upgrades needs to go into the 40 year old pool.

I guess the pool is getting old; I didn't think of myself as that old.  I used to compete there back in the NCC days, and competed at UND the last year before that pool was finished (82/83 season in the old pool), and the old UND pool was probably built in the 20's or 30's and really was a dump, then when that 50m competition pool opened its was state of the art (it was open for the 83/84 season).  In reality that pool still is as good feature wise as new pools being built, but the machinery may be getting a little tired and inefficient.  My old highschool is still using a pool built in the 60's.

That 50m pool is overkill for a university without a swimming and diving program.

49 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

UND just cut a sport that cost $2 million and you think they should add men's and women's lacrosse that together will cost UND $2 million. I like lacrosse but if UND has the money to add lacrosse then they might as well bring back women's hockey.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, cberkas said:

UND just cut a sport that cost $2 million and you think they should add men's and women's lacrosse that both will cost UND $2 million. I like lacrosse but if UND has the money to add lacrosse then they might as well bring back women's hockey.

Yeah, and if they wear the tiny speedo's swimming shouldn't cost much.  It was the last college swimming program in ND.  Not sure if Bottineau has womens hockey.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

UND just cut a sport that cost $2 million and you think they should add men's and women's lacrosse that together will cost UND $2 million. I like lacrosse but if UND has the money to add lacrosse then they might as well bring back women's hockey.

The major thing is with lax, UND only has to provide 1/4 tuition for every athlete and we would be the only DI program in the tri-state region.  As someone said here, even Bismarck has a club HS team now.  In Minnesota, even outstate HS's have programs. There are no public schools even at the DII level in Minnesota and it has much more participation now than hockey for either men or women.  Bringing it in would almost pay for itself, because kids from MSP and the west coast would flock here to get a chance for a walk on spot and the sport is relatively cheap.  The HPC has already been built.  There are no men's teams in the west, and its taking off with participatio there.   For men's lax, some players from Minnie and Wisco want to play lax and football, so it can be a recruiting edge for fb.  

Tennis is a sport we will never be good at, and even to attempt to be OK will be expensive.  We probably won't be good in LAX either, but it brings fans and students and is a good partying and tailgating scene.  But as I said, it won't happen unless someone endows it.  UND needs a spring spectator sport after we dropped baseball.

Went to a few WIH games and never saw a tailgate scene at the REA.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The major thing is with lax, UND only has to provide 1/4 tuition for every athlete and we would be the only DI program in the tri-state region.  As someone said here, even Bismarck has a club HS team now.  In Minnesota, even outstate HS's have programs. There are no public schools even at the DII level in Minnesota and it has much more participation now than hockey for either men or women.  Bringing it in would almost pay for itself, because kids from MSP and the west coast would flock here to get a chance for a walk on spot and the sport is relatively cheap.  The HPC has already been built.  There are no men's teams in the west, and its taking off with participatio there.   For men's lax, some players from Minnie and Wisco want to play lax and football, so it can be a recruiting edge for fb.  

Tennis is a sport we will never be good at, and even to attempt to be OK will be expensive.  We probably won't be good in LAX either, but it brings fans and students and is a good partying and tailgating scene.  But as I said, it won't happen unless someone endows it.  UND needs a spring spectator sport after we dropped baseball.

Went to a few WIH games and never saw a tailgate scene at the REA.

So you want the school to fund a sport that has a large roster, lots of equipment and, as you pointed out, lots of traveling. Sounds like that would be more expensive than S&D to me.

9 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

So you want the school to fund a sport that has a large roster, lots of equipment and, as you pointed out, lots of traveling. Sounds like that would be more expensive than S&D to me.

And cost a million dollars.

15 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Compare USAFA MLAX travel to UND WSD travel. 
http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-lacros/sched/afa-m-lacros-sched.html
http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=6396&SPSID=58621&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Or DU MLAX to UND MSD
http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=6398&SPSID=58636&DB_OEM_ID=13500
http://www.denverpioneers.com/sports/m-lacros/sched/denv-m-lacros-sched.html

Roster sizes? Similar. 

Difference? The potential for a gate. <-- There's real revenue; and as the sport grows, camp revenues. (Don't forget Canadians are LAX bonkers right after hockey bonkers.) 

But now is not the right time. The house must be put in order first. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlsiouxfan said:

And causes facility problems because it would play in the HPC and kick football back outside for spring ball.

That's scheduling. That's easily overcome and worked around. 

But, as I said, now is not the right time. The house must be put in order first. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's scheduling. That's easily overcome and worked around. 

But, as I said, now is not the right time. The house must be put in order first. 

I agree, can't add a sport now when you just cut 3.

If UND decides to add a sport later on their will be people coming out saying bring back this sport or that sport before adding a new sport.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, cberkas said:

Public schools can start programs for half a million or less.  The problem with a men's program now is conference affiliation.  Cleveland St, Detroit, and Air Force are the closest teams that would consider us.  A women's program would get placed in the MPSF.

The HPC handles football and track and evendors softball.  It would not kick out fb for spring practice.  There is 24 hours to a day actually.

The long term plans had UND building a new T&F outdoor facility with a soccer field with stands.  That would be ideal for games rather than the Alerus, which can be used for early ones.

Whenever I mention long term planning here, most posters just can't think beyond next season when its beyond five years out.  Lax is more beneficial to a school than swimming because it is has some actual revenue and people in the stands.  But both sports don't normally give full time scholarships and have the students paying a high fraction of tuition.  That doesn't show up on the athletic budget, but the bursar likes it.  Numerous private schools have started lax because it makes the school money by tuition, but it costs the athletic department.  That is why Concordia-St Paul and Upper Iowa just started it in the Northern SUn.

4 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Whenever I mention long term planning here, most posters just can't think beyond next season.  

If only we were as smart as you. 

The FBS WAC with UND starts play next year or the one after? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You definitely got the short end there.

Said a number of times the WAC will go en masse in 2020, but that is obviously too much for you to comprehend as its not next year.

You also said a number of times that UND wasnt going to the Summit/MVFC...

• Upvote 2

Because they needed to reallocate resources toward fully funding seven sports when they move to the Summit League. 

I'd recommend going to UNDSports.com and reading the full release. It spells it out reasonably well. 

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=211538211 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, homer said:

Scheduling? 

Wichita St will actually lose major dance bucks to leave the MVC early, but we need to stay in the Big Sky longer so everyone can make more frequent flyer miles?  The Big Sky supposedly wanted to ditch us, but not so much to save money.