283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, then I guess Brad Berry is not "the man" because his captain posted some pretty strong stuff on Twitter about this. And I honestly don't have a problem with it.

I don't have a problem with it either. I'm sure if Berry told the players to stop posting stuff on Twitter about the nickname/logo they would but maybe Berry has no problem with what the players are posting.

• Upvote 1

Here's where I'm at: The Fighting Hawks name was a complete disappointment to me. It met none of the committee's criteria. 

However, given that, my expectations for a logo were set accordingly. By that standard (complete disappointment) this logo did slightly exceed those (albeit admittedly very low) expectations. 

Take the victories you can get I guess. 

But, I'm also a gracious loser. Fighting Hawks won. It's mine now. I accept it. Same goes for this logo. (I can live with it because I did try.)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Here's where I'm at: The Fighting Hawks name was a complete disappointment to me. It met none of the committee's criteria. 

However, given that, my expectations for a logo were set accordingly. By that standard (complete disappointment) this logo did slightly exceed those (albeit admittedly very low) expectations. 

But, I'm also a gracious loser. Fighting Hawks won. It's mine now. I accept it. 

zactly

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The hockey team will clearly continue to hang out in their bunker by themselves. I'll still cheer for them as always but they should join the community some time. 

There are plenty of fans in that bunker too and I'm sure there are other athletes that feel the same way as the hockey team they just may not be putting their feelings on social media.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GreenWing said:

I guess I read it more like its a privilege to play here, so why publicly demean the institution that is giving so much to you? And as far as discipline from a coach, they should absolutely sit a player for saying inappropriate things in public. The coaches job is to help these student-athletes be successful. In the real world, you don't get away with insulting your organization. So I agree that the best approach is to "shut up and play". 

Really? You are saying that not liking our new logo is the equivalent to using vulgar language or posting sexually explicit material online? Because those are the things I see student-athletes get in trouble for. I have never seen a student-athlete get in trouble for not liking a sports team's logo. If coaches cracked down on every little thing, they wouldn't have enough players to fill a roster. And I think Bubba leads by example and his players follow him because they love him and would run through a brick wall for him.

And these athletes didn't have to choose UND, they could have gone someplace else. So we should appreciate them for what they do on the field/court/ice. They don't owe us anything; at least that is what we are told when one of our hockey players leaves school early.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Just remember, once you open up that Pandora's Box, there ain't no closing it. Student-athletes as employees would change a lot of things and not for the better. Why else do you think the NCAA fights this idea like a cat in a sack?

Because it would cut into their bottom line.

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

But, I'm also a gracious loser. Fighting Hawks won. It's mine now. I accept it. 

Just think, Omaha has a Nuva ring for a logo and they embrace it!

Just now, homer said:

At the end of the day that is the only reason.  

If student-athletes were employees, the NCAA would become no different than the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, etc. If that happened, they probably could kiss their anti-trust exemption goodbye, along with their tax-exempt status. And you would have "free agent" bidding wars between colleges, which would be more bad PR for them. There are numerous reasons (both legal and financial) why it would be bad for the NCAA.

30 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

"I love it," UND linebacker and team captain Connor O'Brien said. "I think the guys are pretty excited about the new logo. We'll still embrace old traditions—always have—and continue to work hard and maintain that positive attitude with whatever we're doing."

Wow - you really are a "football only" guy who can't resist going at the Hockey Program.  I have never seen this side of you.

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

But, I'm also a gracious loser. Fighting Hawks won. It's mine now. I accept it. Same goes for this logo. (I can live with it because I did try.)

But, what does designing a logo have to do with retiring the interlocking ND?  Who in the hell said anything about that? 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

His being from Illinois gives him an advantage in this situation. His view of this logo isn't tainted like us locals. But let me make one thing clear, this logo could be a lot better. It could also be as bad as people think it is, which it isn't.

To your last sentence which is correct........ it's  worse.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Just remember, once you open up that Pandora's Box, there ain't no closing it. Student-athletes as employees would change a lot of things and not for the better. Why else do you think the NCAA fights this idea like a cat in a sack?

meh . . . i just deleted a two paragraph response.  The new logo is average, but at least the school can use it without being sanctioned by the NCAA.  And can we just all agree that the real injustice of it all shouldn't be set squarely on the University's shoulders.

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Really? You are saying that not liking our new logo is the equivalent to using vulgar language or posting sexually explicit material online? Because those are the things I see student-athletes get in trouble for. I have never seen a student-athlete get in trouble for not liking a sports team's logo. If coaches cracked down on every little thing, they wouldn't have enough players to fill a roster. And I think Bubba leads by example and his players follow him because they love him and would run through a brick wall for him.

And these athletes didn't have to choose UND, they could have gone someplace else. So we should appreciate them for what they do on the field/court/ice. They don't owe us anything; at least that is what we are told when one of our hockey players leaves school early.

I never said anything about vulgar language. I said inappropriate, the coach defines what constitutes what is inappropriate on social media. And it's not a team's sports logo, it's YOUR teams sports logo. 

The players don't owe me anything, I want them all to be successful. Whining about a logo on Twitter just makes you look unprofessional. That goes for everyone, not just athletes. Good talk

2 minutes ago, FSSD said:

But, what does designing a logo have to do with retiring the interlocking ND?  Who in the hell said anything about that? 

"leave no option" . . . if the interlocked ND was still valid, would any team use the hawk logo?  forces the hand.  well played, UND . . . well played.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

35 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Whoa, hold on there: Shut up and play? There is a group of people from a certain political persuasion that I do not share who likes to b!tch and moan about how "liberal campus speech codes" are taking away our freedoms and liberties. Now, all of a sudden, student-athletes are supposed to "shut up and play"? It can't be both; either college campuses are free speech zones or they aren't. Or does it depend on what speech and who is speaking it?

We don't "own" these young men and women. Most of them could have gone any number of other places. And if they were not here, we wouldn't have teams, players and championships to talk about. We should appreciate them for what they do and not tell them to "shut up" about anything.

The point is - realize that you are part of a larger organization and understand that whether you are an employee or another part of the organization.  As a student-athlete you are part of a larger org and should be expected to keep your feelings out of the public eye if you don't support the larger org.  That is called being an adult and a good teammate or member of the larger team.  You learn that pretty quickly in business or you don't do well in any org.  You can debate like hell behind the scenes but stick together for those outside the group. 

When i was playing football at UND I was interviewed by the Star Tribune for an article and the sportswriter wanted me to state how well my first school approached football compared to UND.  I was extremely careful to not say anything that could be construed as negative about UND.  He ended up cutting my quotes from the article because they didn't support his premise.  

i think there should be a one logo of the nd side by side without the hawk and one logo of just the hawk and then the last logo of the two on top (the one shown today)...i liked the interlocking nd but notre dame won that one....it was time to retire that one....the football helmets should have just the new side by side nd or the hawk logo not the busy double logo..