283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

11 hours ago, best0186 said:

Yeah, It just really isn't that good. I work on multiple committees and have logo, t-shirt designs made for events. A lot of times we use the high school graphic arts programs in town and they come up with way better designs and ideas.  There was no need to spend as much money as they did for this and not hit a grand slam.

I'm an avid Fighting Sioux name supporter but there was no way the firm/designer could hit a "grand slam" no matter what was spent, at least not on this board/in this arena.  They were in a no win situation, at least in this crowd.     

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

I'm an avid Fighting Sioux name supporter but there was no way the firm/designer could hit a "grand slam" no matter what was spent, at least not on this board/in this arena.  They were in a no win situation, at least in this crowd.     

I have to disagree with this statement... all they had to do was listen to input from fans.  The nickname process was a mess, I still don't know anyone who will admit that they voted for the Fighting Hawks and how a Hawks represents any of the symbols they identified.  Then we get some power hungry short term President who thinks that he has all the answers who picks a logo and then takes away the interlocking ND.  You can make it up from one extreme to the other.

• Upvote 2

No one is supposed to like this logo right away - it is succeeding a tremendously popular logo, but what makes a logo special? There are several collegiate and professional logos across the country that are simplistic in design and color scheme, yet they are widely popular (e.g., Dallas Cowboys, Texas Longhorns, Green Bay Packers, etc.). Why? Here's my opinion:

"A picture is worth a thousand words." Well, perhaps a logo can be worth a thousand emotions, but only when it stands for something, as Coach Schweigert so brilliantly alluded to Wednesday. Alumni and supporters are comparing a neutral, brand new logo to a previous logo that represented so many past traditions and accomplishments, so of course it is not going to stand up to that. However, in due time, if everyone involved (student-athletes, coaches, administrators, alumni, fans, etc.) puts in the necessary work, novel accomplishments along with certain positive emotions can also become associated with this logo, representing the University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks. 

Right now, to most, the logo only represents a watered down marketing campaign and a failed nickname selection process. However, as Bubba said, if UND football now establishes perennial Big Sky dominance while wearing the logo and/or UND men's basketball makes the national DI NCAA tournament while wearing the logo, the logo will start to stand for something more than just a foreign and bland mark. It will evoke thousands of emotions that include those of winning, accomplishment, hard work, dedication, commitment, perseverance, and pride, among others. Give the logo a chance and, again, as Bubba said, support Fighting Hawks athletics and make it special, because the sooner UND Fighting Hawks athletics starts accomplishing milestone achievements under this logo, the sooner alumni and fans will appreciate it and be proud of it.

The logo can represent a winning FCS football program. The logo can represent a winning men's and women's DI basketball program. The logo, although this one will take more time, can eventually represent a top-notch NCAA hockey program. All of this is possible with success and winning while doing things the right way with this logo. Support UND Fighting Hawks athletics, expedite this process, and make the Fighting Hawks logo stand for so, so much more than just a failed selection process.

GO UND Fighting Hawks! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We aren't changing the call sign. And Hawk has already been assigned to a military unit. 

Plus on the business side how would piper aircraft like their aircraft. Which have Native American tribes for names be called hawk. When their chef competitor primary trainer is the sky hawk?  

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Like I speculated earlier: Everyone knows this logo is going to be disliked not on its merits but because of the circumstance. 

This is not true. I very much dislike it because of its merits. Or lack thereof. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, 77iceman said:

If i were a student athlete...i'd be happy with pretty much any name and logo, as long as i got to be a part of a team (and had my education paid for in a lot of cases)

just sayin.

You're just saying that they shouldn't have an opinion? 

6 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

People on here question the loyalty to UND of a hockey coach and captain that just won us a national championship 2 months ago because of one tweet... Only on siouxsports.com

One tweet?  

On this nickname issue, perhaps the most divisive one in school history, the Men's Hockey program offered the university absolutely no support and some members pretty much openly fought it or mocked it every step of the way.  There is no denying that.  

That is the problem.  They think they can do whatever they want and it is an internal issue over at Hyslop right now, I can tell you that for fact.  

What I cannot believe is some hockey fans keep supporting their continued 'non-support' of the university on this issue.  

Makes me wonder what yesterday would have gone like if Berry would have come out and given a speech anywhere near the one Bubba gave.  Probably would have gone a long way to helping people buy in.  Oh well....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

One tweet?  

On this nickname issue, perhaps the most divisive one in school history, the Men's Hockey program offered the university absolutely no support and some members pretty much openly fought it or mocked it every step of the way.  There is no denying that.  

That is the problem.  They think they can do whatever they want and it is an internal issue over at Hyslop right now, I can tell you that for fact.  

What I cannot believe is some hockey fans keep supporting their continued 'non-support' of the university on this issue.  

Makes me wonder what yesterday would have gone like if Berry would have come out and given a speech anywhere near the one Bubba gave.  Probably would have gone a long way to helping people buy in.  Oh well....

Who cares you like what you like, I'll like what I like, and everyone else can like or dislike whatever they choose to. How about we all just get along as a fan base whether you're cheering for the Sioux, Hawks, UND, or whatever else you would like to call them.  Majority of the people on here act like children.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, R_Schneider_4 said:

Who cares you like what you like, I'll like what I like, and everyone else can like or dislike whatever they choose to. How about we all just get along as a fan base whether you're cheering for the Sioux, Hawks, UND, or whatever else you would like to call them.  Majority of the people on here act like children.

Exactly the type of response I was referring to.  Ignore the fundamental issue in the AD.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SiouxFan9 said:

Anyone else think INTERIM president Schafer overstepped his bounds on this one?!

I appreciate Schafer doing it this way. It would have been great to get it right on the first try but we didn't. Now that we have a logo and he did it quickly without making a total mockery of the process, it means a new president can come in a make a change if we truly need to, without the fear of a reliving truly the worst imaginable process to get there. 

3 hours ago, UND-1 said:

One tweet?  

So you are saying you do question the loyalty/dedication of the men's hockey coach and captain of the hockey team? Classic

I do support Gage saying he dislikes the logo on the front of a hockey jersey.  He's right and it looks hideous. Maybe that will be a push to either put in on the shoulder or redesign it without the ND behind the logo so we don't look like we're sponsored by an airline.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So you are saying you do question the loyalty/dedication of the men's hockey coach and captain of the hockey team? Classic

I do support Gage saying he dislikes the logo on the front of a hockey jersey.  He's right and it looks hideous. Maybe that will be a push to either put in on the shoulder or redesign it without the ND behind the logo so we don't look like we're sponsored by an airline.

To their own hockey program, not in the least.