283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

3 hours ago, dakotadan said:

You're just saying that they shouldn't have an opinion? 

I said that that's how I would feel.  How I would respond.  That's my opinion . . . and i have the right to have that opinion.

Then again, when I was 20 years old, I probably ran my mouth way more than I do now.  As we get older, we learn that even though we have "freedom of speech", when your wife gains some weight you just don't say anything about it (freedom of speech vs love and respect).

So UND, in some people's eyes, gained some weight and got a bad haircut.  You still lover her, right? 

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So you are saying you do question the loyalty/dedication of the men's hockey coach and captain of the hockey team? Classic

I do support Gage saying he dislikes the logo on the front of a hockey jersey.  He's right and it looks hideous. Maybe that will be a push to either put in on the shoulder or redesign it without the ND behind the logo so we don't look like we're sponsored by an airline.

It seems Gage and a lot of other people should have taken a minute to listen to what Ed said right before the video with that jersey played. That's not the new hockey jersey. It's to give people an idea of what the logo would look like on a jersey. 

1 minute ago, southpaw said:

It seems Gage and a lot of other people should have taken a minute to listen to what Ed said right before the video with that jersey played. That's not the new hockey jersey. It's to give people an idea of what the logo would look like on a jersey. 

I heard that too but you're going to get feedback even if it's not "official".  Gage and other people are saying that we are way off on the hockey jersey. Instead of taking it as a negative maybe people will start thinking how it could possibly look good on a hockey jersey, I know I did.

38 minutes ago, Cratter said:

We criticize because we care, but the second a rival says anything bad about it we'll run through a wall to stand up for it (then kick their ass).

And then leave with your tail between your legs and 3 first downs? ;) 

3 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Makes me wonder what yesterday would have gone like if Berry would have come out and given a speech anywhere near the one Bubba gave.  Probably would have gone a long way to helping people buy in.  Oh well....

Absolutely.  The resistance of the hockey team is feeding the resistance of everyone else.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

11 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

I shared the new logo with my family and it won approval, 5-2, so perhaps it is more us old die-hards that are having the heartburn.

Shared with mine as well.  Neither my wife nor son are big athletics boosters, but my son immediately said "looks like a bank" and my wife felt the same.  Both thought it was ok, but too corporate looking.

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

But let me make one thing clear, this logo could be a lot better. It could also be as bad as people think it is, which it isn't.

I think this is important, and I agree.   Some people think this is the worst logo every, and I think that's hyperbole.   Look at some of the crap out there.   I'm not enamored with this one, but man, it could have been SO much worse.

46 minutes ago, SiouxFan9 said:

Anyone else think INTERIM president Schafer overstepped his bounds on this one?!

No.  He was paid a lot of money to clean/close up a lot of Kelley's messes prior to the new president starting.  This was, from a public perspective, one of the biggest messes.

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yup, that's all they care about, what a joke.

You just don't get it.  They have fought this entire process for years since the name/logo was dropped.  Absolutely NO buy-in on the process from the hockey program, whatsoever, at any stage.  But that is OK, right?

Many of the other visible programs/players, like football, go out of their way to engage the fans and promote the move.  Hockey does the opposite.  

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, southpaw said:

He knows, as well as anyone who has followed UND hockey, that next seasons jerseys have been ordered.   He was speaking out against the jersey look AND logo. 

By the way, there is no guarantee that the logo doesn't end up on the front of our jerseys starting in 2017. That I cannot handle. 

This has to be the ugliest jersey/logo I've ever seen #HideTheLogo #Putitontheshoulder

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Absolutely.  The resistance of the hockey team is feeding the resistance of everyone else.  

This.  ^^^^^

The acceptance from Bubba and his players is feeding the acceptance by their fans.   

• Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, dagies said:

Shared with mine as well.  Neither my wife nor son are big athletics boosters, but my son immediately said "looks like a bank" and my wife felt the same.  Both thought it was ok, but too corporate looking.

I think this is important, and I agree.   Some people think this is the worst logo every, and I think that's hyperbole.   Look at some of the crap out there.   I'm not enamored with this one, but man, it could have been SO much worse.

So we accept mediocrity at UND?   I am so sick of people saying, "it could have been worse."  Statements like that are garbage. We should strive for the best looking logo that the community and state can be proud of.  We had an opportunity to create a beautiful logo as a school and move on from the Sioux logo.  Frankly, the school and president blew it . This logo from a sports, marketing, and design, looks completely mediocre and that's what's wrong.    No more excuses and justifications like, "no one would have accepted the logo anyways."

These two justifications are unacceptable for people who have pride and love UND athletics:

1. Could have been worse. 2. No one would have accepted it anyways (this is lie)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, dagies said:

wsuf_display_image_crop_north.jpg?w=350& maryland-terrapins_display_image.jpg?133

bc083fdfed0654c7e93e3ac218695bb9.jpg  6878.gif

200px-UMass_Lowell_Athletics_logo.png  d670d6b3af7e1e71316fd37239a9b729.jpg coastal-carolina-logo.gif?w=300&h=245

9c81ce40713f39fe23842fc6a4beeb9f.jpg  48.png

9_13816.gif 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

You just don't get it.  They have fought this entire process for years since the name/logo was dropped.  Absolutely NO buy-in on the process from the hockey program, whatsoever, at any stage.  But that is OK, right?

Many of the other visible programs/players, like football, go out of their way to engage the fans and promote the move.  Hockey does the opposite.  

You're obsessed with blaming this entire thing on the hockey program, which contributes way more to this university than the football program in terms of dollars, national exposure, championships etc. but you want to focus on this logo as an example that they don't care about the school whatsoever. You're enamored with the football vs. hockey crowd which is just getting really old. I feel like I'm talking to a St. Cloud hockey fan with a little brother complex.  Here's Berry's quote from the logo reveal. No, it wasn't an impassioned speech like Bubba but they are different people with different personalities.

"We've been here 130 years. UND has been called the Nodaks, the Flickertails, the Fighting Sioux and now the Fighting Hawks," Berry said. "Transition and change happen in life and it's about moving forward..."

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UND1981 said:

My gopher relatives in MSP have stated it the best.   You guys (UND) have come down to our level (now you have a bad nickname and logo like us). 

But the gophers don't have a bad logo. The block M is an iconic logo and looks great on sports apparel.   The cartoon gopher isn't bad either, but you'd never put it on the front of a jersey. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's called leadership and apparently outside the rink the hockey team doesn't have a clue. 

Leadership?  That is leadership. He's giving his opinion on the new lackluster logo that will clearly look terrible on a jersey.   Why does he need to follow the athletic department to the ends of the earth? That's what you're implying. That leadership mean no thought or expression. 

In fact, the school should listen to the players and leaders of our programs. This wouldn't have passed the chopping block. 

Did Hakstol show a lack of leadership when he came out at a press conference to show support of the Fighting Sioux nickname?  No. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, dagies said:

I posted on another board this morning to get unbiased opinion on the logo.  One of the comments so far... "It makes me think they'll be acquired by Wells Fargo or Bank of America in a few years."

7 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

But the gophers don't have a bad logo. The block M is an iconic logo and looks great on sports apparel.   The cartoon gopher isn't bad either, but you'd never put it on the front of a jersey. 

They're rodents.  If UND's logo was a hawk with a chipmunk tail, beaver teeth, and eyebrows.... wearing a sweater.... and skipping.... this site would've crashed yesterday.

150px-GoldyGopher.png

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You're obsessed with blaming this entire thing on the hockey program, which contributes way more to this university than the football program in terms of dollars, national exposure, championships etc. but you want to focus on this logo as an example that they don't care about the school whatsoever. You're enamored with the football vs. hockey crowd which is just getting really old. I feel like I'm talking to a St. Cloud hockey fan with a little brother complex.  Here's Berry's quote from the logo reveal. No, it wasn't an impassioned speech like Bubba but they are different people with different personalities.

"We've been here 130 years. UND has been called the Nodaks, the Flickertails, the Fighting Sioux and now the Fighting Hawks," Berry said. "Transition and change happen in life and it's about moving forward..."

The hockey program is stuck up, fortunately they produce big time so they have a long, long rope. Nevertheless, limited humility by the hockey program. Last time I checked, the University of North Dakota is not in Canada (although many think it just as well could be) and hockey is not the be all and end all. You want to expand notoriety, you expand football and basketball; hockey is already maxed out and has no right to complain and b*tch.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If student-athletes were employees, the NCAA would become no different than the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, etc. If that happened, they probably could kiss their anti-trust exemption goodbye, along with their tax-exempt status. And you would have "free agent" bidding wars between colleges, which would be more bad PR for them. There are numerous reasons (both legal and financial) why it would be bad for the NCAA.

But at the end of all that, the only thing they care about is $$$$.   When is the last time the NCAA was truly concerned with PR?  

38 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The name is about as bland and overused as you get and the logo looks terrible.  What do you expect?

• Upvote 2