283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I have said before that I did not like the Brien logo when it first came out because it was not a true logo. Ben originally made it as a work of art and not as a sports team logo. When UND adopted it as a sports logo, I was less than thrilled for many reasons. It was too intricate with too many colors to easily identify and replicate as a true sports logo on caps, t-shirts and uniforms -- way too busy. Another less important factor, was the symbolism of looking backward. Some would argue that this was a nod to history but it also conveys a sense of entrenchment and backward thinking instead of moving forward. It seams that most of Ben's attempts at logos now have this left-pointing orientation. 

All that said, the logo grew on me over time as and I learned to love it and be proud of it because of the history and tradition attached to it and because it represented my alma mater. 

But not everyone was enamored with from the get go.

I didn't know that.  Do you know the reason why Brien drew the artwork and how UND came about acquiring it for its logo?

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

You just don't get it.  They have fought this entire process for years since the name/logo was dropped.  Absolutely NO buy-in on the process from the hockey program, whatsoever, at any stage.  But that is OK, right?

Many of the other visible programs/players, like football, go out of their way to engage the fans and promote the move.  Hockey does the opposite.  

Hockey players are part of the #hockeyonlyfan #siouxforever fanbase.  Big surprise!!:) 

1 hour ago, tho0505 said:

Obviously being facetious.   You have seen the logo and I assume you're a North Dakota hockey fan.  Would you like to see it on our chest? 

Brad Berry has the final say on jersey designs.  He's not going to put that logo on the chest.  My guess is we have very similar jerseys to what UND has now, but with the new logo on the shoulders.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tho0505 said:

You have seen the logo and I assume you're a North Dakota hockey fan. 

Sorry for butting in, but I can answer this one....

He's not a UND Hockey or UND Football or UND Basketball or UND Volleyball etc fan...

He's a fan of the University of North Dakota.

Wish we had more like him.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

I didn't know that.  Do you know the reason why Brien drew the artwork and how UND came about acquiring it for its logo?

As I recall, the UND Alumni Association, under Earl Strinden, commissioned Ben to do a piece of art for them that was based on the old FS Indian head logo -- but not as a logo -- as a piece of art. Now there are some who argue, and Earl probably could tell us for sure, that Earl always hoped that Ben's work could one day be adopted as a new logo (which it eventually was). 

Earl gifted the art to the University at the time that Kupchella was president. Kupchella was the one who began the process of converting the artwork to a logo, but, as I am told, it was problematic at first because of all of the detail that was involved in Brien's artwork (which I detailed in my original post). UND worked with a sports logo designer to work out some of those issues until they came up with what we ultimately know today as the Ben Brien Indian head logo.

I hope I'm not revising history too much... but that is my recollection from listening to folks in the know.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

As I recall, the UND Alumni Association, under Earl Strinden, commissioned Ben to do a piece of art for them that was based on the old FS Indian head logo -- but not as a logo -- as a piece of art. Now there are some who argue, and Earl probably could tell us for sure, that Earl always hoped that Ben's work could one day be adopted as a new logo (which it eventually was). 

Earl gifted the art to the University at the time that Kupchella was president. Kupchella was the one who began the process of converting the artwork to a logo, but, as I am told, it was problematic at first because of all of the detail that was involved in Brien's artwork (which I detailed in my original post). UND worked with sports logo designer to work out some of those issues until they came up with what we ultimately know today as the Ben Brien Indian head logo.

I hope I'm not revising history too much... but that is my recollection from listening to folks in the know.

Thanks.  Interesting to know.

18 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

No, I'd rather have you extrapolate upon your UND hockey is a bunch of Canadians, because it's a terrible take in so many ways.

Well, you went the wrong direction. I was alluding to the excessive emphasis on UND hockey by some which could be confused with Canadian sports' culture. 

4 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Can someone with some skill trim the letters in black on the logo and make the "D" look like the "D" shown in the script below. It just doesn't look finished to me.

UND_ND_FH_Wordmark_Full_Color_LBG_1.jpg?

The issue with using the D from this script is that there will be white space as the bird doesn't fill up that entire area.  It would be a thin black line separating the edge of the white bird with the blank space in the middle of the D.

I think they'll do some tweaking to the logo.  I just really, really hope they use negative space for the bird on whatever jerseys they do.  It looked really weird in white on a grey shirt yesterday.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

I showed this logo to my 9 year old daughter.  She instantly started to cry!

I showed it to my 8 year old son last night and he crinkled his nose as he tried to process it.  Then he said "Isn't that a falcon?  Maybe that would be OK if they were the Fighting Falcons".  Needless to say, he wasn't impressed.

1 minute ago, Ray77 said:

I showed it to my 8 year old son last night and he crinkled his nose as he tried to process it.  Then he said "Isn't that a falcon?  Maybe that would be OK if they were the Fighting Falcons".  Needless to say, he wasn't impressed.

My 10 year old daughter instantly said..."You're kidding right?"

3 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Since we're sharing anecdotes. I showed it to my 10 year old daughter, and she glanced at it and said "cool, I guess. Whatever. Can I go downstairs and play Super Mariokart, dad?" Needless to say no tears were shed. :silly:

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, southpaw said:

The issue with using the D from this script is that there will be white space as the bird doesn't fill up that entire area.  It would be a thin black line separating the edge of the white bird with the blank space in the middle of the D.

I think they'll do some tweaking to the logo.  I just really, really hope they use negative space for the bird on whatever jerseys they do.  It looked really weird in white on a grey shirt yesterday.

There was something there with the D. You explained it. And I expect tweaking. I've given my ideas. 

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Since we're sharing anecdotes. I showed it to my 10 year old daughter, and she glanced at it and said "cool, I guess. Whatever. Can I go downstairs and play Super Mariokart, dad?" Needless to say no tears were shed. :silly:

Did you send her over to the Betty to use the new video boards (or did Tom Miller beat her there)? 

Looks like great addition to the Betty. But, really, I'm just curious if you can hook up a 64 and play Mario Kart

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Did you send her over to the Betty to use the new video boards (or did Tom Miller beat her there)? 

Tom Miller Retweeted RalphEngelstadArena

Looks like great addition to the Betty. But, really, I'm just curious if you can hook up a 64 and play Mario Kart

That's funny.... I missed that one. It is a fun game, though.