SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Frozen Four

The Sicatoka

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4046082-college-hockey-und-working-frozen-four-bid-st-louis

Discussing future Frozen Fours.... 

UND is likely to submit a bid this summer to host a future NCAA Frozen Four in St. Louis, multiple sources have confirmed to the Herald.

The bidding process to host Frozen Fours and NCAA regionals for the years 2019-22 will open Monday.

I'd rather see UND host in Phoenix, but that's just me.  Either way, hopefully we are able to secure the bid and make some $$.

St. Louis? Really? 

Why not MSP? Oh, yeah, ... those guys.
Why not CHI? Oh, yeah, ... that logo that UND can't be associated with (but the B1G apparently as the 2017 hosts can)*. 
Why not WPG? Oh, yeah, ... that's Canada which rhymes with anathema to the NCAA. 
Why not DEN? Nevermind ... 

If ARI got their "stuff" together on a new arena, but that is now ASU turf (sand?) I guess. 

STL it is. 

*The Herald says 2017 CHI is hosted by "Our Lady of South Bend". I thought the B1G was hosting there. < shrug > Having the Fighting < five letter name of a race of people > host there might be even worse. 

1 hour ago, keikla said:

The problem with Phoenix is the location of the arena.  It's technically on the west side of Glendale.  While the immediate vicinity of the arena is really cool (lots of restaurants, bars, shops, etc.), it's nowhere near anything else.  Most of the fun things to do in the Phoenix metro area are in Scottsdale and Tempe - on the opposite side of the valley.

I hear that there is a sweet bicycle shop right down the I-10 from that arena.  :)

On 6/2/2016 at 9:52 AM, UNDBIZ said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4046082-college-hockey-und-working-frozen-four-bid-st-louis

Discussing future Frozen Fours.... 

I'd rather see UND host in Phoenix, but that's just me.  Either way, hopefully we are able to secure the bid and make some $$.

Gotta assume if it was in Phoenix, ASU would host.

Why don't they host one in Orlando? That would be the best family destination. If they hosted one in San jose that would also be very fin for the family as the Bay Area rocks and is not too far away.

i don't know why Vegas wouldn't be at the top of the list. Great entertainment and cheap flights!

On 6/2/2016 at 9:19 PM, ChadR said:

Does anyone else find the St Louis choice odd? I was at the 2007 Frozen Four and thought that arena was a dump.

St Louis just announced a $160 mill renovation of Scottrade Center, including renovated concourses and a beet garden.

39 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Why don't they host one in Orlando? That would be the best family destination. If they hosted one in San jose that would also be very fin for the family as the Bay Area rocks and is not too far away.

i don't know why Vegas wouldn't be at the top of the list. Great entertainment and cheap flights!

Orlando would be excellent, as every airline flies there.  The Amway Center is nice, and the Solar Bears play there so it always has ice set up during hockey season.

Stayed at the Talbot in Chi Town recently. Nice location, good value (internet deal), great boutique hotel and staff. Close walk to Ditka's, Water Tower Place and Hancock. Cabbed to other sites we wanted to see. Love Chicago, can't wait to go back next year. Overall FF experience and would we go again..... St Louis- no, Philly- no, Denver- maybe, Milwaukee- maybe, St Paul- yes, Tampa- YES!

Lots of cool things to see/do in Chicago.  Too bad arena isn't located in a better area.  Overall FF experience and thoughts on returning...St. Louis-maybe. Milwaukee-no.  Denver-yes.  Philly-no.  St. Paul-yes.  Boston-yes.  Tampa-Double YES!    But...who am I kidding?  I'd go most anywhere for a FF.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:21 AM, The Sicatoka said:

So the 2017 Frozen Four is in Chicago at United Center. 

Let me think ... who (NHL) plays there? The Chicago Blackhawks. 

I've been to the UC and, gee, the Blackhawk's logo is plastered all over the place, and, yet, the NCAA will play their premiere hockey finale in that arena with that logo plastered all over everywhere (ala the REA). 

I thought that genre of logo was "hostile and abusive" (Native related) and the NCAA would not use such a venue for one of their events. 

Wow, great point you make.  Just shows you the hypocrisy of the NCAA, it's pure BS and all about public posturing--in the end though when it matter it comes down to money.