SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

Typical Caillou, touching on a couple things that would actually provide some insight but failing to go into them because it might be uncomfortable for him or NDSU and he doesn't want to lose his privileges again.

States that an increase outside funding will be necessary as they expect state funding to stay flat (but not decrease?). Then mentions that part of that plan was the doubling of student fees that was rejected but doesn't have any quotes or answers on how they will go forward bridging that $1.5 million gap.

All that plus some more fluff to basically take a shot at UND stating that NDSU won't be dropping any sports like they did. Of course he fails to mention the actual reason that NDSU won't be dropping any sports: they can't. They are at the D-1 minimum, which is a pretty important factor in why it isn't on the table and won't be done regardless of budget situation.

I will say it is impressive that their football success has basically allowed Teammakers to cover almost all scholarships NDSU offers. They don't have their AUP report publicly available so it is tough to see if their sports are fully funded on scholarships. Safe bet they are on the women's side, guessing they aren't quite on the men's side.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

And so began a lifetime of petty hijinks and near misdemeanors...

When you put it that way it makes me sound way too unqualified to work for the Clinton campaign if I decided to make a quick career shift into politics.

.....and IMO one of the biggest issues with college is the student, I'm sure you were one, that felt/feels the need to cram a 4 yr. degree into 7 years. Makes it tough for those students who know what they want to accomplish to get done in 4 yrs. 

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Typical Caillou, touching on a couple things that would actually provide some insight but failing to go into them because it might be uncomfortable for him or NDSU and he doesn't want to lose his privileges again.

States that an increase outside funding will be necessary as they expect state funding to stay flat (but not decrease?). Then mentions that part of that plan was the doubling of student fees that was rejected but doesn't have any quotes or answers on how they will go forward bridging that $1.5 million gap.

All that plus some more fluff to basically take a shot at UND stating that NDSU won't be dropping any sports like they did. Of course he fails to mention the actual reason that NDSU won't be dropping any sports: they can't. They are at the D-1 minimum, which is a pretty important factor in why it isn't on the table and won't be done regardless of budget situation.

I will say it is impressive that their football success has basically allowed Teammakers to cover almost all scholarships NDSU offers. They don't have their AUP report publicly available so it is tough to see if their sports are fully funded on scholarships. Safe bet they are on the women's side, guessing they aren't quite on the men's side.

nice catch...

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Also takes a shot at UND stating how NDSU won't be dropping any sports and then fails to mention that NDSU is in a position where they are unable to a sport because they are at the bare minimum for D-1 requirements, which is a pretty important reason that you wouldn't want to drop a sport regardless of budget situation.

Impressive that their football success has basically allowed Teammakers to cover almost all scholarships NDSU offers. They don't have their AUP report publicly available so it is tough to see if their sports are maxed out on scholarships. Safe bet they are on the women's side, guessing they aren't quite on the men's side.

I wonder how much the gaming side of Teammakers brings in?   I have been at the Holiday Inn in Fargo twice in the last two months and the tables have been packed.

I wish that was something that could be done at the Canad in GF for the Champions Club.   

33 minutes ago, Hansel said:

NDSU has 16 sports (Indoor and Outdoor track count as two total), the FBS requirement is 16, the DI/FCS requirement is 14

That is correct, I should have specified that 16 relates specifically to forward looking opportunities and keeping that dream alive. Dropping below 16 absolutely kills that.

40 minutes ago, Hansel said:

NDSU has 16 sports (Indoor and Outdoor track count as two total), the FBS requirement is 16, the DI/FCS requirement is 14

Paging SiouxVolley.

SiouxVolley, please report to the conspiracy office. 

29 minutes ago, homer said:

I wonder how much the gaming side of Teammakers brings in?   I have been at the Holiday Inn in Fargo twice in the last two months and the tables have been packed.

I wish that was something that could be done at the Canad in GF for the Champions Club.   

I would guess around $400k if not a bit more. Last available net numbers are from 2013 and that was about $378K. Both their total gross handle (before prizes/taxes/expenses) and the gross proceeds (before expenses) up about 10% from the 2013 numbers, safe assumption that the net would be up a little bit from that as well. So around 10-11% of the Team makers total contribution to NDSU.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4034430-wentz-goffs-hometown-wonders-if-shes-related-former-ndsu-star

Kolpack is officially out of control and basically a creep.  Can he leave the Wentz's alone for like two days?  He seriously took the time to write a f'n article about how some random lady in California MIGHT think she is related to Carson.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4034430-wentz-goffs-hometown-wonders-if-shes-related-former-ndsu-star

Kolpack is officially out of control and basically a creep.  Can he leave the Wentz's alone for like two days?  He seriously took the time to write a f'n article about how some random lady in California MIGHT think she is related to Carson.  

And to think it's just starting.

30 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

You mean you can't take him at his word??

May 1:

I kidded columnist Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News in the media work room Thursday night that he's all yours now. The reporters in Fargo formally handed him off to bigger fish.

How will Wentz do in Philadelphia? Not my deal anymore.

What I want to know is how will Easton Stick attack the Charleston Southern defense

Since then
May 9: Bradford's Philadelphia happy face is good news for former Bison quarterback Wentz
May 12: Former Bison star Hansen can attest the feeling of the big NFL pay day as Wentz signs
May 13: Scheels upgrades Wentz's Bison jersey, prominently displays his No. 11 Eagles jersey
May 17: A Wentz in Goff's hometown wonders if she's related to former NDSU star

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

That is correct, I should have specified that 16 relates specifically to forward looking opportunities and keeping that dream alive. Dropping below 16 absolutely kills that.

I may have baited jdub into the "minimum" statement because I made it to him in a PM. But yes, I too view 16 as a minimum to be DI with a dream. 

Remember McFeely's "no problems with budget at NDSU" tripe? Well, seems Mikey may not have gotten the straight skinny. 

http://www.inforum.com/news/4040000-ndsus-chemistry-building-aging-so-poorly-crews-may-let-it-burn-if-it-catches-fire

Glad someone (even if it is Port) called this out.

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/can-someone-tell-ndsu-president-dean-bresciani-still-employed/

NDSU, unfortunately, has done the same thing (neglected maintenance), and now they have buildings figuratively falling down too. And no amount of sanctimony from NDSU’s sports fans and media mouthpieces can hide it.

On 4/20/2016 at 1:05 PM, homer said:

I've talked with my neighbor who is an NDSU employee and I think Mike better ask a few more questions.  There are nervous people on that campus as they are doing just enough to get by.   

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Remember McFeely's "no problems with budget at NDSU" tripe? Well, seems Mikey may not have gotten the straight skinny. 

http://www.inforum.com/news/4040000-ndsus-chemistry-building-aging-so-poorly-crews-may-let-it-burn-if-it-catches-fire

Glad someone (even if it is Port) called this out.

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/can-someone-tell-ndsu-president-dean-bresciani-still-employed/

Don't want to beat my own drum but McFeeley should take his knee pads off and ask the people working on campus about how money is being spent or needs to be spent and not the people who feed him the story they want typed.  Some of this is age but routine maintenance is not being done on these buildings and the money is being spent elsewhere.  The employees at NDSU know this but there was no way Mike was going to touch that.  People that work in these buildings have been begging for the funds to do upgrades but are denied repeatedly.  Not sure the answer is just to knock down the building and build a new one?

6 minutes ago, homer said:

Don't want to beat my own drum but McFeeley should take his knee pads off and ask the people working on campus about how money is being spent or needs to be spent and not the people who feed him the story they want typed.  Some of this is age but routine maintenance is not being done on these buildings and the money is being spent elsewhere.  The employees at NDSU know this but there was no way Mike was going to touch that.  People that work in these buildings have been begging for the funds to do upgrades but are denied repeatedly.  Not sure the answer is just to knock down the building and build a new one?

I said it here.

I will say it again smoke and mirrors at NDSU.

There is much more they are hiding then whats out there.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, homer said:

Some of this is age but routine maintenance is not being done on these buildings and the money is being spent elsewhere. 

Like Port said:

NDSU was in the worst position of all the state’s public institutions with $244 million in deferred (neglected) maintenance, part of a $808 million total for all of the campuses combined.

NDSU's $244M of $808M is over 30%. (My guess is UND is second on this not-to-be-proud-of list.)

NDSU's chemistry building aging so poorly, crews may let it burn if it catches fire

One of those projects is demolishing and rebuilding Dunbar Hall, the 52-year-old chemistry building that was overlooked for funding last legislative session.

"It is literally dangerous," Dean Bresciani said to the board. "We've been informed by the Fire Department that in the event of a fire, they would most likely back away from the building."

Fargo Fire Chief Steve Dirksen confirmed that is a possibility, "just knowing the building, the age of the building, the construction type, what's in the building," he said.

"There could be a situation where, if it became a large fire, we would take a position that we're not going to injure anybody to save property," he said.
Instead of tearing it down, why not install fire sprinkler systems in the building (says the fire sprinkler contractor)?  It sure would be a whole lot cheaper than ripping it down and having to build a new building.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:55 PM, GeauxSioux said:

Hey, I took ice skating for an HPER. I had John Marks as my instructor. We had a ball. 

Tough to beat Golf with Rob Stiles.

Whole class hitting balls on the range. Stiles and Brad Kerr pull up in a couple carts. "Petey, Dana, do you guys have class this afternoon?"..... "Yes"....."Are you going?"...."Nope!"

Let's just say this happened more than once and less than everyday of class.

23 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

NDSU's chemistry building aging so poorly, crews may let it burn if it catches fire

Instead of tearing it down, why not install fire sprinkler systems in the building (says the fire sprinkler contractor)?  It sure would be a whole lot cheaper than ripping it down and having to build a new building.

Putting lipstick on a pig maybe?  If the goal is to get it replaced...I doubt they'll put money into it.

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Putting lipstick on a pig maybe?  If the goal is to get it replaced...I doubt they'll put money into it.

So just avoid maintenance until the building is ready to crumble.  Was that the strategy with another building on NDSU's campus?

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Apparently their goal has been to get it replaced for 15 years then.

8 minutes ago, homer said:

So just avoid maintenance until the building is ready to crumble.  Was that the strategy with another building on NDSU's campus?

That's my simpleton line of thinking.