SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:50 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Absolutely worthless degree.  How does one study to become an entrepreneur?  Like so many traits, you're either born with it or you're not.  You don't become entrepreneurial by sitting on campus for four years.  What percentage of start-ups fail...90%? 95%? More?  Might as well offer a degree in Texas Hold'Em, because the odds of success are about the same.

Yet Music Therapy, an up-and-coming field with local demand and which boasts mind-blowing job placement numbers and viable careers, gets the axe?

Something reeks here.

Having spent a little time helping a former professor with on of his entrepreneur classes, from what I saw, it is actually a more a well-rounded business degree than a specific business degree. My perception was that it goes a little more in-depth on all aspects of business (finance, marketing, management, etc) than one of those specific degrees would. I don't know what the specific "Entrepreneur" classes teach, but my feeling was that the people that came through it had a good understanding of all portions of running a business instead of what amounts to a specific "department" within that business.

Music Therapy was cut for a handful of reasons, one of them being the staff turnover continued to cause a ton of issues and the demand for the major wasn't very big. That being said, there are some other programs I would have personally much rather seen cut but I don't know the difference in financial impact those would have made compared to what was done.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Music Therapy was cut for a handful of reasons, one of them being the staff turnover continued to cause a ton of issues and the demand for the major wasn't very big. That being said, there are some other programs I would have personally much rather seen cut but I don't know the difference in financial impact those would have made compared to what was done.

I agree, my daughter went to music therapy as a young child, and it benefited her greatly.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Having spent a little time helping a former professor with on of his entrepreneur classes, from what I saw, it is actually a more a well-rounded business degree than a specific business degree. My perception was that it goes a little more in-depth on all aspects of business (finance, marketing, management, etc) than one of those specific degrees would. I don't know what the specific "Entrepreneur" classes teach, but my feeling was that the people that came through it had a good understanding of all portions of running a business instead of what amounts to a specific "department" within that business.

Sounds like a Business Administration degree to me.  A little bit of this, a little bit of that.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I quit taking math courses after applied calculus.  Felt bad ruining the curve for everyone else....;)

I wish I was as fortunate as you, I'd took up to Applied Stats. Calc I, II, III and DFQ.

The only perk from my major requiring so much math?  An easy linear algebra course counted to get my minor in Math.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Doesn't sound like a first year class. :p

It said " ... first year or two".
Calc III was fall of sophomore year. Diff Eq I was spring.
Somewhere in those two years, calc-based Physics I, II, and III were knocked out too. 

Then the tough classes started. 

44 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Somewhere in those two years, calc-based Physics I, II, and III were knocked out too. 

.......Ballroom Dance, Strategies of Badminton and Intro to Music Therapy.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Dang!  I could never get into ballroom dance with all the hotties!

Back in the day one would receive a hard copy with registration for classes info and the date you could register for classes on it. It had the exact same print/type as the phone bill from the dorms. We/I would use a surgical scalpel and cut out the number of the day for registration on the paper/card. We'd replace it with a smaller number, i.e 17 to 15, from the phone bill and trace the cut marks with a black Sharpie. I/we registered at least 2-3 days earlier than our assigned original date. Got every class I wanted and could have easily graduated in 3 1/2 years doing that. 

........oh and Ballroom dance was packed with hotties!

37 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Back in the day one would receive a hard copy with registration for classes info and the date you could register for classes on it. It had the exact same print/type as the phone bill from the dorms. We/I would use a surgical scalpel and cut out the number of the day for registration on the paper/card. We'd replace it with a smaller number, i.e 17 to 15, from the phone bill and trace the cut marks with a black Sharpie. I/we registered at least 2-3 days earlier than our assigned original date. Got every class I wanted and could have easily graduated in 3 1/2 years doing that. 

And so began a lifetime of petty hijinks and near misdemeanors...

18 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

How come I didn't see more people in those calculus and physics classes? 

I like to believe that I learned those skills in my bowling class.  That's the mindset I gained with my BA and MA. ;)

6 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Dang!  I could never get into ballroom dance with all the hotties!

I took that class.  Sorry, no hotties that I ever saw.  

I actually went to every class and with my two left feet, I was probably the only student to ever get a C in that class.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

For those that took AP Calc in HS, Calc II and Calc III were first year classes.  Was cruising through Calc II my freshman fall semester, setting the curve for the class, until finals where I focused on other classes and found out too late that I did not quite understand what a Taylor Series was.  Talk about a panic attack on a final.

Sorry for the OT.  I have no good answers for the budget cuts.  I generally think that the administration costs are overrated in these discussions and the "arms race" aspect of colleges competing for students by building new facilities and providing excessive amenities is underrated.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

For those that took AP Calc in HS, Calc II and Calc III were first year classes.  Was cruising through Calc II my freshman fall semester, setting the curve for the class, until finals where I focused on other classes and found out too late that I did not quite understand what a Taylor Series was.  Talk about a panic attack on a final.

Sorry for the OT.  I have no good answers for the budget cuts.  I generally think that the administration costs are overrated in these discussions and the "arms race" aspect of colleges competing for students by building new facilities and providing excessive amenities is underrated.

I was riding an 80% going into my Calc final (math is not my strongest suit), and TI-89 decided to die about halfway through.  Sad day.  

Typical Caillou, touching on a couple things that would actually provide some insight but failing to go into them because it might be uncomfortable for him or NDSU and he doesn't want to lose his privileges again.

States that an increase outside funding will be necessary as they expect state funding to stay flat (but not decrease?). Then mentions that part of that plan was the doubling of student fees that was rejected but doesn't have any quotes or answers on how they will go forward bridging that $1.5 million gap.

Also takes a shot at UND stating how NDSU won't be dropping any sports and then fails to mention that NDSU is in a position where they are unable to a sport because they are at the bare minimum for D-1 requirements, which is a pretty important reason that you wouldn't want to drop a sport regardless of budget situation.

Impressive that their football success has basically allowed Teammakers to cover almost all scholarships NDSU offers. They don't have their AUP report publicly available so it is tough to see if their sports are maxed out on scholarships. Safe bet they are on the women's side, guessing they aren't quite on the men's side.