SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

I think we found a place to cut, I'm sure someone is going to be out of a job after this cluster#$%^.    My apologies if it was posted elsewhere, I just saw it in the Strib.    How can anyone be that naive and leave keys in a vehicle?      http://www.startribune.com/young-woman-stole-squad-car-drove-it-25-miles-then-crashed/380431341/

58 minutes ago, TRex said:

It is very common practice to leave their vehicles running. Straight from the story you linked: 

The myriad electronics in police cars today draw a lot of power, so vehicles are sometimes left running to keep the battery fully charged, he said.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

And a $2 remote to lock and unlock the car in the officers pocket could solve that "issue."

The Herald update article said they were looking into if the key fob the officer had (to lock the car) failed. 

• Upvote 1

Ed Schafer talks about his time as interim UND president:
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4046524-outgoing-und-president-reflects-successes-plans-champion-new-budget

I'm glad to hear he plans to keep working (for UND and the NDUS) during the 2017 Legislative session. 

Also, Nursing is suspending a small specialty graduate program so they can focus (staff, time, resources) more on the programs students are trying to enroll in. And the move fits better with the long term vision of the Nursing school. What concepts!  Maybe some of what Ed preached is going to stick. 
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4046511-enrollment-suspended-und-nursing-specialization

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4046524-outgoing-und-president-reflects-successes-plans-champion-new-budget

I'm glad to hear he plans to keep working (for UND and the NDUS) during the 2017 Legislative session. 

Also, Nursing is suspending a small specialty graduate program so they can focus (staff, time, resources) more on the programs students are trying to enroll in. And the move fits better with the long term vision of the Nursing school. What concepts!  Maybe some of what Ed preached is going to stick. 
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4046511-enrollment-suspended-und-nursing-specialization

^^^^^ This.  

48 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

From what I have been told, it is starting to resonate across campus.  One area in particular is the Arts.  On their own they have discovered some major overlap in their departments and are working to streamline it and in turn save money, even after the budget cuts were implemented.

2 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

From what I have been told, it is starting to resonate across campus.  One area in particular is the Arts.  On their own they have discovered some major overlap in their departments and are working to streamline it and in turn save money, even after the budget cuts were implemented.

Hard look, find the overlaps, make the changes, free up budgets, get to take on some new initiatives. <-- What a concept! 

The catch is that you have to stay in that self-evaluation mode. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thought it was interesting that Ed said he was voting for Burgum

12 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

If he's good for the state he'll be good for UND.  Now if you want special or privileged treatment for UND, maybe he won't deliver but I don't know that for sure.

That's a naive way of looking at it. I'd like to see a real board member from Grand Forks again. Fargo has 2, Bismarck has 2, and Hazen, Oakes, and Tioga each have 1. There are also 3 ndsu alums on the board to 1 UND. It makes a difference. Burgum comes across as a furtherance of imperial Cass.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

That's a naive way of looking at it. I'd like to see a real board member from Grand Forks again. Fargo has 2, Bismarck has 2, and Hazen, Oakes, and Tioga each have 1. There are also 3 ndsu alums on the board to 1 UND. It makes a difference. Burgum comes across as a furtherance of imperial Cass.

I would like to see him working to help advance the entire state

McFeely now openly moving into conspiracy theories. As for the portion below, it seems beyond Mike's capabilities to do some actual reporting and asking hard questions instead of taking verbatim what he's told and "reporting" it as the truth. He just can't fathom that Ed would have actual insight into what is going on and just maybe is on to something. I know providing clicks these blog posts are exactly what he wants but he seems to have stuck his flag in the ground and isn't interested in going back on anything he previously has "reported".

1. He is convinced he has done an amazing job at UND (others on campus and around the state aren’t so sure), cleaning up the budget mess left behind by Robert Kelley. He is also convinced the deep cuts he made above and beyond what was required has put UND in a position to be more self-sufficient outside of legislative decision-making. He is absolutely cocksure, without question, that the blueprint he imposed at UND is the right plan — not just for UND but for other schools, too.
  2. He is equally convinced the one-time cuts Bresciani made at NDSU, as directed by the university system chancellor, are simply window dressing. Schafer is convinced NDSU is headed for painful, deep cuts and long-term serious problems because Bresciani is not instituting a plan like the one Schafer implemented at UND. There is almost a sense one gets from Schafer that he believes Bresciani is using a shell game to make things look better than they are at NDSU, that he doesn’t believe NDSU was simply in a better financial position than UND to absorb this round of budget pain.

To the bold above ----->SHOCKER! Almost seems like exactly what he is doing since there were little to no permanent cuts made, most of it was just kicking some spending down the road with no plan if the state funds don't reappear.

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

McFeely now openly moving into conspiracy theories. As for the portion below, it seems beyond Mike's capabilities to do some actual reporting and asking hard questions instead of taking verbatim what he's told and "reporting" it as the truth. He just can't fathom that Ed would have actual insight into what is going on and just maybe is on to something.

The Chancellor directed the campuses to first consider ongoing cuts, rather than one-time.  McFeely knows nothing.