SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

I'm not always the biggest Don Morton fan. (I questioned his placement on the ND SBoHE.) However, I think he got this one right: 

Board member Don Morton said he preferred the board not step in and take action where the presidents have more expertise.

"Do we want to eliminate the presidents and have the board run the campuses?" he said. "Is that what we want to do? I don't think so."

The Board hired the presidents; let the presidents do the job (as Schafer said). If the presidents aren't doing the job the SBoHE then has its recourse. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I wouldn't expect leeway (the number is the number and you have to hit the number), but I suspect the groundwork is/has been done at UND by Schafer's moves and when (not if according that Board member) the next State mandate budget cuts happen UND will be prepared to just manage the plan already put in place. 

I do like how Schafer did have goodwill built up by having a plan for Sign Language with LRCC. It's like Ed knows what State officials are going to say/think/ask before they do it. 

It would be bad to eliminate this program all together. If UND can't provide it at least they can offer it at another school. Good move by Ed.

43 minutes ago, homer said:

I hope McFeely goes back and asks his "sources" at NDSU about how financially stable they are.  Like I mentioned when he wrote the article, my neighbor works on their campus and people are very nervous and aware cuts are going to happen or need to happen.  He also mentioned that could be why some recent contracts and things got finalized before any expenses started to be examined.   

Do you actually think he took the time to ask anyone or just wrote what sounded best? Though it is possible he was give the "nothing to see here" treatment, the way the article was written makes it seem like he had whatever point he was trying to make figured out before going back and filling in the blanks with whatever narrative was needed.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:01 AM, geaux_sioux said:

Maybe you should have taken a class to help with your sense of humor?

Sorry, and in that regard, all I have is a couple of humanities classes. So, bear with me. I understand these cuts are hurting many workers and students. Moral often takes a hit during these times, too. I really hope we move through this in the least amount of pain.

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Much deeper cuts coming for the state now.  UND has a head start but likely needs to do a bit more, rest of the schools are going to be in catch-up mode.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/north-dakota-budgets-to-be-reduced-by-percent/article_be1fd2ea-55b8-56b9-bcc3-0918d681b381.html

I can only imagine what will be done next.

12 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I don't get this... isn't there a huge rainy day fund?

Off the top of my head....one is a long term one that can't be touched....and I believe there's another to help with budget shortfall that basically empty (or soon to be).

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:42 AM, Teeder11 said:

There are serious issues at UND, but others in the system are doing what they've always done (including UND's former chief executive): whistling past the graveyard.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:05 PM, homer said:

I've talked with my neighbor who is an NDSU employee and I think Mike better ask a few more questions.  There are nervous people on that campus as they are doing just enough to get by.   

He really down plays Schafers quite in that article about "what he visions UND to look like in 5 years.      "  Also, NDSU cries every year about funding.   Can't wait until that happens again.  Is McFeely on FU's payroll?

Will be interesting to see McFeely's next article about budget cuts, maybe he can actually do some real reporting on it this time instead of just writing uninformed hyperbole. Guessing it will turn out to show that the rest of the schools within the NDUS aren't in the better financial spot he originally claimed. The difference was UND had someone in charge who went ahead with deeper cuts than were required upfront, that would actually make a difference instead of kicking the can down the road, all with the assumption that more would be coming. Turns out Schafer was right and because of it, UND has put themselves close to where they needed to be with the new mandate, even before it was handed down, getting there by making actual cuts. The other schools within NDUS who were hoping to get by on delayed spending will now likely have to go back through their budget and make real cuts, eliminating things that were deemed safe the first time through. UND did it pretty much all of it the run even though it wasn't easy and was definitely messy but save the trouble of compounding the situation by having to go back and do it again.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ed Schafer is the right man at the right time at the right place. 

:silly:

I'm going to agree with you.  I thought at the onset that Shafer wouldn't do a lot just being there temporary and that his salary was to much for just hanging around for a few months but he is doing the hard work that needs to be done and not running away from the tough questioning that is bound to happen with this kind of cutting and slashing.  I can't imagine a new president getting this type of realignment and cutting accomplished so quickly and efficiently.

• Upvote 1

Again, thank goodness for Ed Schafer. His take on what's been done:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/op-ed-columns/4032681-ed-schafer-budget-cuts-enable-investments-unds-future

And now, here's what we can do because the waste and fat and low value has been eliminated.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/4032069-video-und-focus-new-priorities-investments-after-cutting-215-million 

No disrespect to incoming President Kennedy, but I wonder what else Ed could clean up with another six months. (I hope Kennedy is smart enough to keep Ed as a mentor and adviser for a while, and that Ed's willing to do it.) 

36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Again, thank goodness for Ed Schafer. His take on what's been done:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/op-ed-columns/4032681-ed-schafer-budget-cuts-enable-investments-unds-future

And now, here's what we can do because the waste and fat and low value has been eliminated.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/4032069-video-und-focus-new-priorities-investments-after-cutting-215-million 

No disrespect to incoming President Kennedy, but I wonder what else Ed could clean up with another six months. (I hope Kennedy is smart enough to keep Ed as a mentor and adviser for a while, and that Ed's willing to do it.) 

The College of Business and Public Administration is working to add two new majors—a bachelor of innovation and entrepreneurship and a bachelor of leadership.

:huh: Those sound like some "feel good" majors there. Doesn't UND already have a bachelor of entrepreneurship?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

:huh: Those sound like some "feel good" majors there. Doesn't UND already have a bachelor of entrepreneurship?

Absolutely worthless degree.  How does one study to become an entrepreneur?  Like so many traits, you're either born with it or you're not.  You don't become entrepreneurial by sitting on campus for four years.  What percentage of start-ups fail...90%? 95%? More?  Might as well offer a degree in Texas Hold'Em, because the odds of success are about the same.

Yet Music Therapy, an up-and-coming field with local demand and which boasts mind-blowing job placement numbers and viable careers, gets the axe?

Something reeks here.

• Upvote 2

I don't mean this to be condescending, but what is music therapy? Where does a music therapist work? What are they paid? Where does the money to pay a music therapist come from? 

I'd seriously like to know more about it, because at this point it sounds like witchcraft. ;)

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't mean this to be condescending, but what is music therapy? Where does a music therapist work? What are they paid? Where does the money to pay a music therapist come from? 

I'd seriously like to know more about it, because at this point it sounds like witchcraft. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_therapy

http://arts-sciences.und.edu/music/music-therapy/history.cfm

http://arts-sciences.und.edu/music/music-therapy/clients.cfm

http://www.musictherapy.org/faq/

• The Sicatoka changed the title to NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)