SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So basically it's musicians trying to hop on the health-care bubble?

Beats playing on the subway platform for spare change, don't it?

Besides, like many allied health fields, if it decreases overall dependence on Rx meds and more costly practitioners/treatments across an aging population, hard to quarrel.  I'd like to think I'll have care options some day when I need them.

31 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Beats playing on the subway platform for spare change, don't it?

Besides, like many allied health fields, if it decreases overall dependence on Rx meds and more costly practitioners/treatments across an aging population, hard to quarrel.  I'd like to think I'll have care options some day when I need them.

Get back to me when you have even an inkling in the reality of healthcare...but if someone with a ponytail playing the harp curbs the opiod dependence for all the "disabled" folks out there and/or gets diabetics to stop drinking 2 liters of Mt. Dew everyday I'll start playing the harp.

Your assertion is something from the POTUS's Obamacare playbook. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So does health insurance recognize music therapy? Or is it just practiced at schools (with property tax $) and for people who can afford it out of pocket? 

It's covered as well as someone who "needs" a service dog for their treatment of depression due to the fact he/she doesn't have enough "friends" on Facebook. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

It's covered as well as someone who "needs" a service dog for their treatment of depression due to the fact he/she doesn't have enough "friends" on Facebook. 

I was thinking of majoring in Dog Therapy for my next career.

As to the original topic, I am glad to see UND adding staff to engineering.  An excellent place for young people to get real jobs that pay a living wage.

57 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Get back to me when you have even an inkling in the reality of healthcare...but if someone with a ponytail playing the harp curbs the opiod dependence for all the "disabled" folks out there and/or gets diabetics to stop drinking 2 liters of Mt. Dew everyday I'll start playing the harp.

Your assertion is something from the POTUS's Obamacare playbook. 

Okay, genius.  Let's follow your plan and send everyone to MDs for every possible clinical and sub-clinical intervention and reimburse them at the highest rate, all so you can belittle the allied health professions and have a bash-Obamacare circle jerk.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

So basically it's musicians trying to hop on the health-care bubble?

Ive seen it in two hospitals. One they had a guy playing a piano in the lobby another a lady went room to room with a guitar. For some its nice for others its irritating.

When I need music therapy I put on either Chicago's greatest hits, something from Eagles, EWF, or the Doobie Brothers and grab a bottle of Jack Daniels. 

Oh, wait, would I be considered "self-medicating"? Oxbox, is that a problem? :D

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

When I need music therapy I put on either Chicago's greatest hits, something from Eagles, EWF, or the Doobie Brothers and grab a bottle of Jack Daniels. 

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

• Upvote 1

UND should expand the College of Nursing. With the RN shortage in this state, and it will get worse, and a state that requires a 4 yr. bachelor's degree to practice most new graduates are calling the shots with those hiring when they are looking for a career in ND.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Okay, genius.  Let's follow your plan and send everyone to MDs for every possible clinical and sub-clinical intervention and reimburse them at the highest rate, all so you can belittle the allied health professions and have a bash-Obamacare circle jerk.

How about I buy you a poddle and a Gheorghe Zamfir CD and we call it good?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

When I need music therapy I just go to the Richfield or Eden Prairie Menards stores.  They typically have someone playing a Baby Grand at the top of the escalator and I don't even have to pay an office visit to sit and listen.  :D

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Found it interesting that the CoBPA will have two new majors, Bachelor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship and Bachelor of Leadership.

Ya I don't get these. Seems leadership is something you learn through experience and what's the difference between entrepreneurship and business management?

21 hours ago, Rick said:

When I need music therapy I just go to the Richfield or Eden Prairie Menards stores.  They typically have someone playing a Baby Grand at the top of the escalator and I don't even have to pay an office visit to sit and listen.  :D

Yeah, but didn't you tell me they kicked you out when you start drinking out of that brown paper bag. 

On 5/14/2016 at 0:49 PM, bison73 said:

Ive seen it in two hospitals. One they had a guy playing a piano in the lobby another a lady went room to room with a guitar. For some its nice for others its irritating.

Music therapy is used in the Fargo public schools with autistic children. I think the therapist are contractors and not district employees. As far as I know the children are not addicted to opioids, the therapists don't have ponytails or play the harp (at least to the children), and Jack Daniels isn't part of the treatment.

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Of course not. Minors. 

...but music therapy in a transgender bathroom might cure all. Throw in some Jack to boot and now it's a party!

• Upvote 2

Melody Gardot

Initially prompted by an attending physician who believed music would help her brain injury drastically improve, Gardot began writing music after her accident[14] and now often speaks about and advocates music therapy. The accident had damaged the neural pathways between the brain's two cortices, which control perception and higher mental function, and made Gardot (in her own words) "a bit of a vegetable."[15] As well as making it very hard for her to speak or communicate properly, she found it difficult to recall the right words to express her feelings.

Music involving listening and making a verbal attempt to sing or hum is thought[who?] to help the brain form new pathways.[citation needed] At first, Gardot learned to hum and was eventually able to sing into a tape recorder. She made good progress and was eventually able to write original songs that sometimes referred to her rehabilitation.[15]

My mother suffered a traumatic brain injury several years ago.   During recovery (actually, still struggles with this) she struggled to verbalize the word she was thinking.  Her physical therapists suggested humming or singing, techniques that can help some sufferers improve their ability to verbalize their thoughts.  It did provide some assistance to my mother, though she improved enough she did not continue that type of therapy.    There was enough there for me to believe music in some way can have a positive effect with brain injuries.