SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

He didn't count champions club donations as revenue for the men's hockey and football teams (the primary 2 sports with champions club donations revenue associated with ticket sales). The way the athletic department accounts for those "donations" they don't allocate the money to any particular sport. 

Good point.

Just one of many things he doesn't account for.

While I understand FargoU people defending Bresciani (I mean, these are the people who still defend Chapman), are they really trying to go to bat for his recent record on research, which was one of the things cited by the SBoHE as needing improvement?  In the last 8 months NDSU has shut down their nano-research center, dropped in Carnegie classification (especially after previously making a huge deal about their ranking) and kicked the can down the road on a major research initiative instead of making actual budget cuts.

But whatever, it is all UND's fault despite the SBoHE very much having a NDSU slant with 3 of the 7 non-student members having NDSU ties and exactly 1 member having UND ties.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

While I understand FargoU people defending Bresciani (I mean, these are the people who still defend Chapman), are they really trying to go to bat for his recent record on research, which was one of the things cited by the SBoHE as needing improvement?  In the last 8 months NDSU has shut down their nano-research center, dropped in Carnegie classification (especially after previously making a huge deal about their ranking) and kicked the can down the road on a major research initiative instead of making actual budget cuts.

But whatever, it is all UND's fault despite the SBoHE very much having a NDSU slant with 3 of the 7 non-student members having NDSU ties and exactly 1 member having UND ties.

Don't forget the maintenance delays to save money as well.

17 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Don't forget the maintenance delays to save money as well.

True but all the schools within NDUS are guilty of that, though NDSU is the clubhouse leader. However to continue to complain to the legislature about the condition of buildings while taking zero responsibility of it yourself is definitely an interesting strategy. I was impressed to see Schafer use some of the budget cuts/savings to put towards UND's boiler system being fixed regardless of whether state funds are granted to do it.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:18 PM, petey23 said:

Diversity happens.....doesn't need to be forced or mandated.

It looks like it does have to be forced/mandated.

Public university now requires applicants pledge commitment to ‘diversity and inclusion’

“As of July 1, the University of Cincinnati will request a Diversity and Inclusion statement of all applicants for faculty and staff positions,” the university recently announced. “Faculty and administrative/professional applicants will be asked to submit a personal statement summarizing his or her contributions (or potential contributions) to diversity, inclusion and leadership.”

The new emphasis on diversity hiring comes at a university that touts a 20-page 2011-16 “Diversity Action Plan,” with the stated goals of increasing the number of African American, women and other “traditionally unrepresented” employees campuswide, from faculty to management positions, as it implements “the UC Affirmative Action Plan.”“As of July 1, the University of Cincinnati will request a Diversity and Inclusion statement of all applicants for faculty and staff positions,” the university recently announced. “Faculty and administrative/professional applicants will be asked to submit a personal statement summarizing his or her contributions (or potential contributions) to diversity, inclusion and leadership.”

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know there only has been one person behind the counter.  According to a long time member-- the reason there is no ball washer on 2, is because it was stolen.  Things apparently have tended go missing more often, since those apartments have been built next to the golf course.  

6 minutes ago, the green team said:

Are we to expect more cutting at UND, with the state legislature addressing a significant additional budget shortfall? 

The Legislature doesn't even know for sure what they are doing in the special session, so it is impossible to answer this question right now. However, UND made more cuts during the last round than they needed to do, so those extra cuts may cover part or all of what they might be asked to do after the special session is done.

I'm hoping that UND did enough the last go round. That was painful. Never like to see my school getting run through the media, with stories everyday about cuts, We didn't even really get to bathe in the afterglow of a national championship.  Unfortunately,  I have a feeling we may be having to read in the paper daily again about additional programs being on the chopping block.  And by programs I refer to not only  athletics, but the entire University again.  I hope not but... gulp

7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The latest I heard was the legislator would try and use Bank of ND profits to help cover the shortfall.

I can't remember the figure but I want to say $100 mill.

2.5% mostly across the board + the $75M left in the Budget Stabilization Fund + up to $100M from the Bank of ND.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

2.5% mostly across the board + the $75M left in the Budget Stabilization Fund + up to $100M from the Bank of ND.

Just read the release also includes "44.3 million in K-12 funding from the Foundation Aid Stabilization Fund."

3 hours ago, the green team said:

I'm hoping that UND did enough the last go round. That was painful. Never like to see my school getting run through the media, with stories everyday about cuts, We didn't even really get to bathe in the afterglow of a national championship.  Unfortunately,  I have a feeling we may be having to read in the paper daily again about additional programs being on the chopping block.  And by programs I refer to not only  athletics, but the entire University again.  I hope not but... gulp

UND will cut another 2.5 percent across the board. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4085765-und-allocate-59-million-budget-cuts-evenly-launches-strategic-planning-phase