SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

Yes and to hear he was dealing with players who were more interested in smoking joints and partying puts a few more things in perspective…experienced coaches have problems dealing with that plus no AD? A recipe for disaster.

I am chair of a committee that had one member bring a black, covered coffee cup to every meeting. It had alcohol. Everyone on the committee and visitors recognized it. I finally just told him no more black covered coffee cup. I heard later his employer told him the same thing. These are difficult situations….

Say too much and you will get sued for harassment. I once asked a nurse to please answer a patient’s light. She complained I harassed her…. I quit supervising that day. It is a different world out there now.

28 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

It is clear that Joey did not appreciate his time as a member of the UND team and under Mussman.  I can understand that as the leadership was lacking. But when digging into his thoughts in that video above he seems to have forgot how things were in 2011.  

He mentioned not being able to throw to Ivery, who was a very average player and never accomplished much of anything in his career here.  He fails to mention he also had RJ McGill and Greg Hardin to throw to.  Yah that Hardin. 

He mentions being benched vs Poly in week 7 when he started out 4-17 with 2 picks.  What he fails to mention is Goska went on to lead UND to a 4-0 record to end the season and win the Great West championship, including that crazy comeback vs USD in the finale.  

To be fair, Muss was a poor leader.  He is a good OC, not a good HC.  I understand his issues on that end, 100%.  

He mentions Ivery because he was the most talented one.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

If memory serves, Lennon just left for SIU and it was clear the new HC would be either the OC or DC. The DC went with Lennon so we got the default. 

Bubba had just completed his 4th season at UMD and moved on to SIU with Dale. John Kelling and Mannausau were co d coordinators in Dale's final season.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If memory serves, Lennon just left for SIU and it was clear the new HC would be either the OC or DC. The DC went with Lennon so we got the default. 

This was the path of least resistance we were stuck with, due to Buning flaking out.   

• Like 1

It's really amazing to go down memory lane and look at all the pieces that fell into place, unfortunately not good for UND, worked out well for NDSU and we can see why UND's transition to D1 was not as successful as everyone had hoped. From a President that waited too long(Kupchella) to an AD who flaked (Bunning), it just lent itself to be not a good transition for UND. Which sucks because we are the flagship institution in North Dakota.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

And dealing with players smoking joints “all the time?” Sounds like there were a heap of problems the AD should have stepped in and helped a struggling young coach. Grand Forks is a great party school and city? I don’t really believe that and it makes me wonder just what Muss all had to deal with.  Good to hear the insider viewpoint and I would watch another video.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but over 50% of college football players smoke weed; it wasn't a "UND issue", it's just how it is everywhere. From what I have heard and know, the statistic is even higher in the NFL. If you don't think college athletes party then your ears might fall off if you heard some of the stories that are out there. Check out the newest episode that will be out this week. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He mentions Ivery because he was the most talented one.

If he had stuck around for another year or two he could have been throwing the ball to the best receiving corps in FCS with Hardin, Golloday, and Jackson....assuming we don't bring in Braden Hansen from North Carolina.
We went from running the ball and playing defense to throwing the ball all over the Alerus...the problem is most of our possessions started with running back a kick off instead of a punt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

Yes and to hear he was dealing with players who were more interested in smoking joints and partying puts a few more things in perspective…experienced coaches have problems dealing with that plus no AD? A recipe for disaster.

I am chair of a committee that had one member bring a black, covered coffee cup to every meeting. It had alcohol. Everyone on the committee and visitors recognized it. I finally just told him no more black covered coffee cup. I heard later his employer told him the same thing. These are difficult situations….

Say too much and you will get sued for harassment. I once asked a nurse to please answer a patient’s light. She complained I harassed her…. I quit supervising that day. It is a different world out there now.

It's different now? I suppose it is because I can't get hammered at work every day and grab the secretary's ass... but I digress. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UND1983 said:

It is clear that Joey did not appreciate his time as a member of the UND team and under Mussman.  I can understand that as the leadership was lacking. But when digging into his thoughts in that video above he seems to have forgot how things were in 2011.  

He mentioned not being able to throw to Ivery, who was a very average player and never accomplished much of anything in his career here.  He fails to mention he also had RJ McGill and Greg Hardin to throw to.  Yah that Hardin. 

He mentions being benched vs Poly in week 7 when he started out 4-17 with 2 picks.  What he fails to mention is Goska went on to lead UND to a 4-0 record to end the season and win the Great West championship, including that crazy comeback vs USD in the finale.  

To be fair, Muss was a poor leader.  He is a good OC, not a good HC.  I understand his issues on that end, 100%.  

The USD game was fun to watch.  The come from behind was amazing.  Only surpassed by  beating the Griz with Hardin's big game.  Watched them both.

2 hours ago, J Brad Swagg said:

I think you were projecting when you said that I was the one who sounds like he knows everything :D 

You obviously didn't listen to the clip because I say that I had my worst quarter and a half of my life going 4 for 17 with 2 picks. You're right, I had Hardin and McGill to throw to but RJ was the 3rd WR that came in on 11 personnel stuff. We ran a lot of 12/21, which meant the 2nd WR was not RJ, but shoot you probably know more about my own experience than I do lol. Watch the 2012 spring game when I had Hardin and RJ on the field the whole time..

If you don't understand how someone can be a good player but not play well for a specific program then you just don't understand football as much as you think you do. I'll give you an example from what I can only speak on, myself. I led the nation in JUCO, got nominated for the Harlon Hill in D2, and have literally made my living playing ball overseas for the last 7 years. If I would have stayed at UND I would have been a "very average player that never accomplished much of anything in my career there," but in other places and systems I have been MVP's. You could argue that maybe I wasn't good enough to play FCS, but idk if that's truly accurate. Maybe you'll understand it this way.. If Ben Roethlisberger would have gotten drafted to the Jags, do you think he would have had the same career as he did in Pittsburgh? The answer is no because the program and coaching matters, see how that works? 

Lastly, I don't mention Goska because he wasn't the topic of any of this, but since you brought it up. I was a huge Goska fan, everyone was, he's a great dude and I was so happy he got to go out the way he did. What you fail to mention though is the last 4 wins were a GW FG against a winless Northern Colorado, a GW FG against a D2 school and a defensive win against a bad UC Davis team; if that's how I won any of my games while there, that would be your main talking point. I was 4-2 when I got to start and finish the game with the only 2 losses being to FBS schools. The USD game was one of the funnest games I've been apart of which is saying a lot given the fact I didn't play

I know that you (and others) have some internal grudge towards me from over a decade ago, which is cool, you're free do so although it is kinda weird and a little sad. 

This has been fun to connect with some of y'all but I think this will be the last thing I post on here. If you wanna know more, check out the pod. I appreciate y'all and truly think it's cool you guys care so much about a program even though most of you have no idea what you're talking about :D

Jbradswagg out <3

Best of luck!

39 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

The USD game was fun to watch.  The come from behind was amazing.  Only surpassed by  beating the Griz with Hardin's big game.  Watched them both.

Exactly, both of those game were awesome...    USD games the second half was incrediable - was that the game where the defense had the goal line stand - Brock B.  destroyed the guard for USD on multiple plays.  I was shocked on 4th down when they went that direction again.

3 hours ago, J Brad Swagg said:

I think you were projecting when you said that I was the one who sounds like he knows everything :D 

You obviously didn't listen to the clip because I say that I had my worst quarter and a half of my life going 4 for 17 with 2 picks. You're right, I had Hardin and McGill to throw to but RJ was the 3rd WR that came in on 11 personnel stuff. We ran a lot of 12/21, which meant the 2nd WR was not RJ, but shoot you probably know more about my own experience than I do lol. Watch the 2012 spring game when I had Hardin and RJ on the field the whole time..

If you don't understand how someone can be a good player but not play well for a specific program then you just don't understand football as much as you think you do. I'll give you an example from what I can only speak on, myself. I led the nation in JUCO, got nominated for the Harlon Hill in D2, and have literally made my living playing ball overseas for the last 7 years. If I would have stayed at UND I would have been a "very average player that never accomplished much of anything in my career there," but in other places and systems I have been MVP's. You could argue that maybe I wasn't good enough to play FCS, but idk if that's truly accurate. Maybe you'll understand it this way.. If Ben Roethlisberger would have gotten drafted to the Jags, do you think he would have had the same career as he did in Pittsburgh? The answer is no because the program and coaching matters, see how that works? 

Lastly, I don't mention Goska because he wasn't the topic of any of this, but since you brought it up. I was a huge Goska fan, everyone was, he's a great dude and I was so happy he got to go out the way he did. What you fail to mention though is the last 4 wins were a GW FG against a winless Northern Colorado, a GW FG against a D2 school and a defensive win against a bad UC Davis team; if that's how I won any of my games while there, that would be your main talking point. I was 4-2 when I got to start and finish the game with the only 2 losses being to FBS schools. The USD game was one of the funnest games I've been apart of which is saying a lot given the fact I didn't play

I know that you (and others) have some internal grudge towards me from over a decade ago, which is cool, you're free do so although it is kinda weird and a little sad. 

This has been fun to connect with some of y'all but I think this will be the last thing I post on here. If you wanna know more, check out the pod. I appreciate y'all and truly think it's cool you guys care so much about a program even though most of you have no idea what you're talking about :D

Jbradswagg out <3

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. I find it fascinating to listen to your stories and experience here at UND. You see I am a graduate of UND. I have lots of family members who are also graduates. I grew up in grand forks, I hold no grudges or ill will toward you or any players for that matter. I appreciate the contributions you have given UND. I remember you playing and had hoped your time here would have been better. I am glad you were able to find your spot elsewhere. UND football is still a work in progress but I think eventually we will get there and in no small part to players like you and others. Keep doing you swaggs and share your stories. I will keep listening. 

Be well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Exactly, both of those game were awesome...    USD games the second half was incrediable - was that the game where the defense had the goal line stand - Brock B.  destroyed the guard for USD on multiple plays.  I was shocked on 4th down when they went that direction again.

I think so but not sure.  I had given up and left NY seat walking out.  Made it to the walk way in the end zone and watch the last play.  I might have a photo of that game.  On the ticket would be $80.  Lol

JANUARY 31, 1977 | Jim Kleinsasser, a 1995 Carrington graduate and former NFL tight end was born. Kleinsasser was a 3-sport standout at Carrington and later played collegiate football at the UND and professionally with the Minnesota Vikings. #NDHSAA #NDpreps

On 1/30/2022 at 7:39 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

I do remember the name Joey Bradley

watched the pod at 41 minutes 

seems like an interesting guy

concerning we had a head coach and other coaches that sounded like over their heads in football and interpersonal skills 

This supports what many knew - football was underfunded and undersupported during the transition. UND athletic department just wanted to get through the transition as cheaply as possible. 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, J Brad Swagg said:

Jbradswagg out <3

you mentioned the loss against fresno..........wish you would've seen muss send in the punt team at the end and in j brad swagg lingo said "&#33;@#&#036; off"....we're going for this and we are gonna win this mf'n game"!

• Like 2