SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-4) vs Weber (8-1)

SWSiouxMN

9 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Still believe that Shanks issues are mainly mental.  Figure that out and he will be fine.

It would be nice to have had Cashman.....

I agree with Shanks. He needs one solid game right now to get some confidence back.  

He did play some valuable 2nd half minutes yesterday so maybe he could build on that.  

42 minutes ago, sprig said:

After a great win in a basketball thread, we rip the hockey team, hockey players, etc. I'll continue to go to bb and football, but I'm getting tired of the new order of UND sports fans. Good grief.

If you think this thought process is new then you haven't been paying attention .  people are finally stating what they have been seeing.  Whether right or wrong.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If you think this thought process is new then you haven't been paying attention .  people are finally stating what they have been seeing.  Whether right or wrong.  

So what is it? All over a change in name, or something else. I don't see BB or football getting ripped, other than when when they play poorly (which happens in hockey threads as well). But hockey threads don't cross over into ripping the BB or football team.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Jones finally got a good home win.....let it be. 

......but you, along with some others here, should stop assuming every UND fan or athlete is automatically going to become a lemming nickname supporter just because a pathetic generic nickname chosen under a completely flawed and disingenuous process to determine that nickname.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Jones finally got a good home win.....let it be. 

......but you, along with some others here, should stop assuming every UND fan or athlete is automatically going to become a lemming nickname supporter just because a pathetic generic nickname chosen under a completely flawed and disingenuous process to determine that nickname.

When did I say anything about the nickname in that post?  

17 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

When did I say anything about the nickname in that post?  

What exactly did you mean? I want to know what I missed in not paying attention?

All I've seen here is some sort of anti hockey sentiment, which I thought was over the nickname issue. If it's something else, please inform those of us that are fans of all und sports.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I think Avants has earned a start in the next two games. Let Shanks come off the bench to provide depth and to keep his fouls down. 

Also none too impressed with the BSC officials this weekend. They were horrible both ways. But lots of phantom calls on Carson, and a brutal anticipation traveling call on Hooker on Thursday night. Are they too proud in those cases to reverse their original call?  This guy just got more adement about it when mildly challenged by Jones and wildly challenged by the crowd. 

The shorter ref struggled much of first half.  He called 4-5 that all went against UND and were 50/50s or no calls.  

Shows how well UND truly played, because anybody who watched the game would say that they got more calls against them then for them.

1 (139) Montana .5200 11-8 223 304 18 158 301 0-1 0-0 1-2 10-2 198 -4.6 2.4 -2.2
2 (158) Weber State .5078 13-7 303 242 158 171 315 0-0 1-1 0-1 10-2 176 0.1 3.4 3.4
3 (218) Idaho .4667 12-10 323 266 145 285 338 0-1 0-0 0-1 7-5 262 -8.4 5.7 -2.7
4 (220) Eastern Washington .4660 11-10 341 270 240 256 335 0-0 0-2 0-0 8-4 256 4.4 -6.3 -1.9
5 (229) North Dakota .4622 9-10 266 252 251 191 242 0-0 0-1 0-1 7-5 298 -2.6 1.1 -1.4
6 (258) Montana State .4495 9-13 296 258 185 292 305 0-0 0-1 0-1 5-7 289 0.2 -7.3 -7.1
7 (263) Sacramento State

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I think Avants has earned a start in the next two games. Let Shanks come off the bench to provide depth and to keep his fouls down. 

Also none too impressed with the BSC officials this weekend. They were horrible both ways. But lots of phantom calls on Carson, and a brutal anticipation traveling call on Hooker on Thursday night. Are they too proud in those cases to reverse their original call?  This guy just got more adement about it when mildly challenged by Jones and wildly challenged by the crowd. 

I was thinking about Avants getting the start as well but do you change it up if your Jones.  The rotation now is working.  

13 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Okay, no natties since 2000 for hockey team but they are always in the top 5 or so nationally every year it seems and like 14 straight NCAA tourney berths.  UND football, since 2000, has the 1 div 2 nattie and probably not one NCAA tourney birth since like 2005 maybe?  It ain't just the arena, believe me.

Last tourney for football was 2007. We had legit title hopes in 06 and 07 but had injuries to our best players.

As long as Avants is getting the most minutes, doesn't much matter who starts.  I am really impressed with that kid.  Love his hustle and work ethic.  Looks like high basketball IQ guy too.  He may be undersized to play the 5, but he makes up for that in so many other ways.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

im a big proponent of redshirting ALL players...collins is someone in my opinion that should have redshirted for sure this year considering the small valuable minutes he has played this year.

19 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Yeah that's the thing I don't think everyone realizes. The player has a say in it. But I definitely agree it would have been nice to redshirt him. I'm thinking it did wonders for Geno. 

Collins should definitely redshirted.   With all the forwards on this team, the coaching staff should have had his best interest in mind and made it a point that it would be a benefit to him. 

I believe Geno was a year young coming in, and it definitely helped him.

9 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

8 hours ago, homer said:

I was thinking about Avants getting the start as well but do you change it up if your Jones.  The rotation now is working.  

6 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

As long as Avants is getting the most minutes, doesn't much matter who starts.  I am really impressed with that kid.  Love his hustle and work ethic.  Looks like high basketball IQ guy too.  He may be undersized to play the 5, but he makes up for that in so many other ways.

I have been wondering the same thing for awhile.  What does Avants have to do to get the start?  I like Shanks, and think he could be an asset.  Use him as a true post player, as he does better in those situations.  He needs to work on hands, finishing, and defense, among playing more up tempo.  Avants plays well in the pick/roll system and is very good on defense.  If you bring Shanks off the bench, I think you give him a chance to have better matchups and hopefully bring his confidence level up.

1 minute ago, niouxsiouxfan said:

I have been wondering the same thing for awhile.  What does Avants have to do to get the start?  I like Shanks, and think he could be an asset.  Use him as a true post player, as he does better in those situations.  He needs to work on hands, finishing, and defense, among playing more up tempo.  Avants plays well in the pick/roll system and is very good on defense.  If you bring Shanks off the bench, I think you give him a chance to have better matchups and hopefully bring his confidence level up.

I think the reason Shanks starts is honestly to try to win the tip. There hasn't been a game recently that Shanks has had more minutes than Avants.