SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-4) vs Weber (8-1)

SWSiouxMN

2 hours ago, LetsGoSioux! said:

Crowd, namely students,  are amazing today!  Is it a lot of football players?  They are making a difference for sure.

Yah, about 20-25 football players and very vocal and choreographic--great to see.  I'm guessing Bubba though will have a talk with the ankle grabber thong guy though--I'm sure he did not like that...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Yah, about 20-25 football players and very vocal and choreographic--great to see.  I'm guessing Bubba though will have a talk with the ankle grabber thong guy though--I'm sure he did not like that...

Thong guy was "The Swede" -- William James -- and Bubba probably won't have much to say as James is an outgoing senior whose eligibility is up.

There is two stats that I love the most about this game

FT:

UND 21-24

Weber 10-17

Rebounding

UND: 32

Weber: 30

Loved seeing a good atmosphere, they did a good job keeping Joel in check (13 points, 8 rebounds).  They doubled him and made him shoot jumpers and didn't give him any easy rebounds. Balanced effort by Drick, Geno, Hooker, Avants, and McD. If those guys can keep it up and Baldwin and Seales can keep chipping in.. look out.

Team defense from a man-to-man and zone perspective has improved immensely, and they are not afraid to step in and take a charge. 

This was a HUGE win, no question about it. Everyone needs to get credit from the players, to the coaches and to the student managers. With that said, there is still more to be done.  A HUGE two game road swing with Idaho and EWU coming up.  An opportunity to win a huge tiebreaker with EWU and get back the loss against Idaho and gain some separation from the pack for that first round bye.  Sad to say it, but there is only 7 more regular season games left before Reno, so we are getting down to it. 

Although..... one cannot help but think if we had just managed to get 1 of the game between Idaho and Montana at home or UNC on the road, we might be talking about being in the title hunt. 

I though this team was a year away from making some serious noise.... I don't see why they can't win the conference tourney this year. And I don't see why they can't be a conference favorite next year as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I really enjoyed the atmosphere that the football team brought into the building today. This needs to continue. 

As for the nickname thing, people need to catch up with the times or else it will leave them in the dust. Living in the past or solely focusing on minority ice sports will only slow UND athletics' progress as a whole. 

Minority ice sport?  Men's hockey?  This is a joke, right?

10 minutes ago, hky said:

Minority ice sport?  Men's hockey?  This is a joke, right?

No the joke was the few fans who were irked that "their very own" football players were embracing the school's new nickname. Even the end of the national anthem was virtually void of the former name.  The few who thought it would be a good punctuation mark to the anthem, uttered a very weak almost in audible attempt. They really are fish out of water when they're not at The Ralph. :D

• Upvote 2

Was late to the game as my own team had games, but it sure was nice to walk into a loud stadium and see a ten point lead.  waiting in line to buy tickets was miserable as you could hear how loud the crowd was.  Kudo's to the FB team and other athletes and students there.  Brought well needed atmosphere.  The swimming and "thong" salute were hilarious.  Even the blue hairs around me were laughing about the dropping of shorts for a thong.

These were my first two games live this week.  I hardly recognize this team compared to 2 years ago.  They are so fast and move the ball so well.  Crandel is about the only one that forces a shot and yet you can't help but love him because of how fast he is and how much energy he brings on D.

Hooker is so smooth that you don't even notice that he racks up over 15 points a game.  I don't get the hate on Shanks.  Refs definitely get him for some phantom fouls.  Hell the one Weber big didn't get his first foul until the end of the game yet was doing plenty of swinging and body work all game.  BTW I couldn't even figure out which big for them was their best player.  That is how well we played defensively and on the glass.

What a game and what a win.  Seriously debating if i should try and make it to Reno.

• Upvote 2

Everyone seriously needs to shut the hell up on the nickname crap. Both sides of the argument. If you want to call em hawks, do it. If you want to call em Sioux, do it.

Bottom line, und hockey is #2, und football is on the rise and primed for a big season, and UND basketball is young, loaded and looking for its first trip to the big dance.

Screw you all if you want to bicker about the name, and that goes for the folks criticizing the use  of Sioux, just as much as those criticizing the use of hawks.

Pathetic!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yeah, but early on this season they looked dreadful (the Northern Iowa game, the second half vs. NDSU). Now they look like they could beat just about anybody in the conference.

Sometimes it takes time. We fans are impatient and want immediate gratification. That said,  I'm not even saying that this will last. Just enjoy the moment. 

One additional comment: UNI has a tendency to make a lot of low to mid major teams look silly -- home or away. As for NDSU, we've done the same thing to them when they had better teams then they have now. All things being equal, early season basketball is a bit of a crapshoot. I think that is  why a lot of us were saying don't get too wrapped up in the nonconference schedule, but do pay attention to conference games, that's where we will earn it or sell the farm. Noncon games are far bigger for major teams that have legit shots at at-large bids, IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I heard on radio that points in the paint were like 28-22 UND.  That is unbelievable considering who we were going against and the foul trouble our bigs got in.

Avants is the hardest working, most overachieving player I have seen in a long time.  

And just a freshman!

3 hours ago, Rock Chalk Fighting Hawk said:

This freshman class has the potential to make it to more than one NCAA tournament 

And just think the potential best one (Wheeler Baker) is sitting out this year.

Team is playing great and they are fun to watch. Pretty crazy how much production freshmen Crandall, Avants, McBuckets, and Seales are giving this team. Drick Bernstein is also extremely underrated for how much he does. He is a double double machine, can handle the ball, pass it and has a decent mid range game. He has been outstanding. Oh and he's just a Soph. Crazy how young this squad is.