SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-4) vs Weber (8-1)

SWSiouxMN

Awesome win. This team has great young talent and it is great to see them already hitting there potential. Let's hope this keeps rolling to Reno. 

The small napoleon complex of some fans is really sad though. Clinging to some weird name high horse is pathetic. 

33 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Sometimes it takes time. We fans are impatient and want immediate gratification. That said,  I'm not even saying that this will last. Just enjoy the moment. 

One additional comment: UNI has a tendency to make a lot of low to mid major teams look silly -- home or away. As for NDSU, we've done the same thing to them when they had better teams then they have now. All things being equal, early season basketball is a bit of a crapshoot. I think that is  why a lot of us were saying don't get too wrapped up in the nonconference schedule, but do pay attention to conference games, that's where we will earn it or sell the farm. Noncon games are far bigger for major teams that have legit shots at at-large bids, IMHO. 

Since the pummeling by UNI, UNI has like fallen off a cliff.  What has happened to  Jacobson's team?

2 hours ago, hky said:

Minority ice sport?  Men's hockey?  This is a joke, right?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/nfl-most-popular-sport-poll

In the grand scheme of things, no one cares. To make NCAA hockey seem supremely important, you have to live within a bubble. Of course, that's what many UND hockey only fans do.

Nothing wrong with NCAA hockey, but to try exaggerate it's importance at the expense of football and basketball is purely laughable. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In the grand scheme of things, no one cares. To make NCAA hockey seem supremely important, you have to live within a bubble. Of course, that's what many UND hockey only fans do.

The Fighting Hawks name is so lame:  middle schoolish.  Any UND fans should be greatly disappointed.  It shound not have even got out of committee.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

The Fighting Hawks name is so lame:  middle schoolish.  Any UND fans should be greatly disappointed.  It shound not have even got out of committee.  

It is what it is, now. If you're not embracing the nickname, or at least remaining neutral on the topic, then you're against the overall vision for UND athletics. Promoting the identity development of UND athletics, specifically football and basketball, is a step in promoting long-term, consistent DI success.

• Upvote 4

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

Valid opinion..  But the fight is over, thank goodness. Let the kids embrace it if they want to.  I will continue to be amused by the those that can't do the same. Not necessarily talking about you.  Just the people who grumble at the students and others who want to embrace it. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In the grand scheme of things, no one cares. To make NCAA hockey seem important, you have to live within a bubble.

Lets not kid our selves, even with football, its not like we're an FBS Alabama either. In Grand Forks, hockey is, and always will be top dog. Doesn't mean there isn't a ton of room for Football and Basketball to flourish. 

I just think we need to let people use whichever nickname they prefer, without criticizing, as it won't change anything anyway. Trying to convince a hardcore "Sioux" fan to refer to teams as "Hawks" is like trying to convince a hardcore "Republican" to vote "Democrat". To can talk your ears off, but people are going to think what they want. Just let it be.

Let Sioux fans use "Sioux", Let Hawk fans use "Hawk". It really doesn't matter, as long as both parties focus on the sports and not the nickname crap. The bickering just makes the fanbase look foolish.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I love both UND hockey and football, avid fan of both for nearly 40 years.  Your poll is in ref to NFL football, no surprise there it's #1 in the U.S.  Need to compare  NCAA div 1-A ice hockey though to lower tier div 1-AA (FCS) football.  Some folks care about one of them or both of them while many folks could care less about either.  Both are on pretty similar playing fields I would say.   In fact, on the world's stage ice hockey is certainly bigger than football (UND sends players to world tourneys playing for national teams, not so in football).  Me, I love both sports and enjoy 'em both at UND.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Lets not kid our selves, even with football, its not like we're an FBS Alabama either. In Grand Forks, hockey is, and always will be top dog. Doesn't mean there isn't a ton of room for Football and Basketball to flourish. 

I just think we need to let people use whichever nickname they prefer, without criticizing, as it won't change anything anyway. Trying to convince a hardcore "Sioux" fan to refer to teams as "Hawks" is like trying to convince a hardcore "Republican" to vote "Democrat". To can talk your ears off, but people are going to think what they want. Just let it be.

Let Sioux fans use "Sioux", Let Hawk fans use "Hawk". It really doesn't matter, as long as both parties focus on the sports and not the nickname crap. The bickering just makes the fanbase look foolish.

Agree with the nickname politics, but there cannot be such a divide (i.e., bickering) that it holds back UND support. Eventually, support needs to be consistent throughout all sports. 

And, as I said above, there is nothing wrong with supporting NCAA hockey and UND hockey, but to try exaggerate it's importance at the expense of football and basketball is despicable. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Totally agree!  I'm calling out the  yahoos who clearly had a problem with people who were cheering for the Fighting Hawks..  It goes both ways.  And furthermore shouldn't those booing the use of the FH name at hockey games take up your same benevolent stance on the subject, or are they exempt from the opinion?  

8 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

I love both UND hockey and football, avid fan of both for nearly 40 years.  Your poll is in ref to NFL football, no surprise there it's #1 in the U.S.  Need to compare  NCAA div 1-A ice hockey though to lower tier div 1-AA (FCS) football.  Some folks care about one of them or both of them while many folks could care less about either.  Both are on pretty similar playing fields I would say.   In fact, on the world's stage ice hockey is certainly bigger than football (UND sends players to world tourneys playing for national teams, not so in football).  Me, I love both sports and enjoy 'em both at UND.

NCAAF received 11% of the votes and NCAA MBB 3% of the votes in that poll, so it's partially relevant. 

As for supporting both football and basketball, that's my point. Because hockey is a niche sport with minimal national support, there's no reason UND and it's fans can't raise football and basketball to at least an even level. Parity thoughtout UND athletics, both administratively and support-wise, should be the goal.  

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agree with the nickname politics, but there cannot be such a divide (i.e., bickering) that it holds back UND support. Eventually, support needs to be consistent throughout all sports. 

And, as I said above, there is nothing wrong with supporting NCAA hockey and UND hockey, but to try exaggerate it's importance at the expense of football and basketball is despicable. 

I understand what you mean, and part of that support will come with winning. Support used to be there, especially for football. It'll be back, but you can't ever expect it to be as big as it is for hockey. In the "hockey world" UND competes on the highest stage and pumps out NHL athletes. UND Football and Basketball don't. Doesn't mean they don't deserve a high following, but also considering the region in which UND competes, some people are just bigger hockey fans than anything else.

Nickname politics aside, if UND Football and Basketball wants a high level of support, they need to win. Today was a great example of the potential for that. Huge win, best fan support we have seen in a while. Absolutely love seeing a ton of football players at the game supporting the basketball team, Bubba included. Just awesome to see.

I understand wanting more support across the board, just need to be mindful than not everyone like sports outside of hockey ... in this region. UND Hockey has earned the support and attention the get. At most schools Football and Basketball is the money maker; UND is an exception to the rule. We're not the gopher where we play in the BIG football or Basketball. UND is in kind of unique position where our hockey program is bigger than our basketball and football team; not something most schools have to deal with.

8 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Totally agree!  I'm calling out the  yahoos who clearly had a problem with people who were cheering for the Fighting Hawks..  It goes both ways.  And furthermore shouldn't those booing the use of the FH name at hockey games take up your benevolent stance on the subject, or are they exempt from the opinion?  

No, I agree with you. It goes both ways. Booing people for embracing the name is dumb, just like criticizing people for yelling Sioux is dumb. Either way, you are cheering for the same team, maybe just with a different historical sentiment. Regardless, lets cheer against the opposition, not ourselves.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

No, I agree with you. It goes both ways. Booing people for embracing the name is dumb, just like criticizing people for yelling Sioux is dumb. Either way, you are cheering for the same team, maybe just with a different historical sentiment. Regardless, lets cheer against the opposition, not ourselves.

This we can totally agree on!

Just now, Teeder11 said:

This we can totally agree on!

Totally, as far as basketball goes, I just want to see these kids keeping rolling.

Crandall - Going to be a stud, just needs to be a little more patient.

Hooker - Already a stud, can't believe we get the kid for another year. What a leader.

Avants - Going to be a horse for this team. Hard work and pure grit.

McBuckets - Going to be a sharpshooter for years to come.

Bernstine - Great all around player. Going to be a solid leader for this team.

Seales - A ton of potential, but looks like a freshman. Going to develop into a great player.

Baker - can't wait to see this addition.

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I understand what you mean, and part of that support will come with winning. Support used to be there, especially for football. It'll be back, but you can't ever expect it to be as big as it is for hockey. In the "hockey world" UND competes on the highest stage and pumps out NHL athletes. UND Football and Basketball don't. Doesn't mean they don't deserve a high following, but also considering the region in which UND competes, some people are just bigger hockey fans than anything else.

Nickname politics aside, if UND Football and Basketball wants a high level of support, they need to win. Today was a great example of the potential for that. Huge win, best fan support we have seen in a while. Absolutely love seeing a ton of football players at the game supporting the basketball team, Bubba included. Just awesome to see.

I understand wanting more support across the board, just need to be mindful than not everyone like sports outside of hockey ... in this region. UND Hockey has earned the support and attention the get. At most schools Football and Basketball is the money maker; UND is an exception to the rule. We're not the gopher where we play in the BIG football or Basketball. UND is in kind of unique position where our hockey program is bigger than our basketball and football team; not something most schools have to deal with.

UND didn't earn the hockey support it currently has; Ralph Englestad did that. UND men's hockey has as many national championships as UND football in the past 16 years. 

And don't oversimplify the support; winning is very important but Bubba is partially behind the support that his players give to other programs. Very unlikely you ever see the men's hockey team at basketball games or football games supporting their classmates like that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Risky said:

A  lot of people have been quite critical of our coaching staff.    I think the key to having good coaching is having highly talented players to start with.    We  finally have that. 

I don't think the criticism is totally unwarranted, given Jones's record over 10 years. BUT at this point, he has found a good combination of young talent, and has them played great, on both offense and defense. I would say Jones has certainly quieted the "fire Jones" talk, and earned the right to play out what happens with this group of talent. Especially, if he can make some noise in the Big Sky Tournament and potentially go dancing, he will have really earned the right to shut people up.