SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (6-4) vs Weber (8-1)

SWSiouxMN

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Totally, as far as basketball goes, I just want to see these kids keeping rolling.

Crandall - Going to be a stud, just needs to be a little more patient.

Hooker - Already a stud, can't believe we get the kid for another year. What a leader.

Avants - Going to be a horse for this team. Hard work and pure grit.

McBuckets - Going to be a sharpshooter for years to come.

Bernstine - Great all around player. Going to be a solid leader for this team.

Seales - A ton of potential, but looks like a freshman. Going to develop into a great player.

Baker - can't wait to see this addition.

Shanks will be on this list before he's done.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Totally, as far as basketball goes, I just want to see these kids keeping rolling.

Hooker - Already a stud, can't believe we get the kid for another year. What a leader.

Seales - A ton of potential, but looks like a freshman. Going to develop into a great player.

Only to add to the fun: Collins is said to be the best all around athlete on the team, and has shown only short spurts of what he could be.

Shanks is still a raw project but young. He needs to focus on defense and build confidence off that. Oh, and quit holding the ball down by your waist in the paint.  Get it up and got to the hole with authority.

Cashman at 6-10 has the tools if he could ever put it together on a good team. 

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't think the criticism is totally unwarranted, given Jones's record over 10 years. BUT at this point, he has found a good combination of young talent, and has them played great, on both offense and defense. I would say Jones has certainly quieted the "fire Jones" talk, and earned the right to play out what happens with this group of talent. Especially, if he can make some noise in the Big Sky Tournament and potentially go dancing, he will have really earned the right to shut people up.

The best thing that could happen is if we go dancing and some MAC team hires Jones.  Win-win for us.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND didn't earn the hockey support it currently has; Ralph Englestad did that. UND men's hockey has as many national championships as UND football in the past 16 years. 

..... and in the last 40 years? UND has been in the frozen four how many times in the last decade? UND football has been in the playoffs how many times in the last decade? 

Yes, UND had a great Engelstad contribution, but they were successful well before that. Even so, we don't need to argue about that point. I would like to see the stands packed for all sports, but UND is not the only place to have this issue. Schools support successful programs, UND is working to get there for Basketball and Football. It WILL get there. You've seen me on the other thread enough to know, I'm a big supports of more than just hockey. Even so, there is no denying hockey is the big ticket in town. Can't control what people like, can only hope that they expand on what they watch.

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Sometimes it takes time. We fans are impatient and want immediate gratification. That said,  I'm not even saying that this will last. Just enjoy the moment. 

One additional comment: UNI has a tendency to make a lot of low to mid major teams look silly -- home or away. As for NDSU, we've done the same thing to them when they had better teams then they have now. All things being equal, early season basketball is a bit of a crapshoot. I think that is  why a lot of us were saying don't get too wrapped up in the nonconference schedule, but do pay attention to conference games, that's where we will earn it or sell the farm. Noncon games are far bigger for major teams that have legit shots at at-large bids, IMHO. 

Immediate gratification? I am more than willing to be patient in waiting for good things, but after 10 years of basically .500 basketball, people were starting to question if it would ever happen under Jones. Now it looks like it may be happening. But we'll have to wait and see how the rest of the season plays out.

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Shanks will be on this list before he's done.

Sure hope so, he has shown his potential in small flashes. Today, not so much. Thursday, he play horrible to start, then came back into the game and played much better. Development and consistency is what he needs, certainly has the size.

36 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

..... and in the last 40 years? UND has been in the frozen four how many times in the last decade? UND football has been in the playoffs how many times in the last decade? 

Yes, UND had a great Engelstad contribution, but they were successful well before that. Even so, we don't need to argue about that point. I would like to see the stands packed for all sports, but UND is not the only place to have this issue. Schools support successful programs, UND is working to get there for Basketball and Football. It WILL get there. You've seen me on the other thread enough to know, I'm a big supports of more than just hockey. Even so, there is no denying hockey is the big ticket in town. Can't control what people like, can only hope that they expand on what they watch.

UND hockey's following is largely attributed to the venue that the programs play in. Nothing to be distraught about; any $100 million facility would draw large crowds in Grand Forks, whether it was for football, basketball, or heck, even tennis or soccer. 

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Everyone seriously needs to shut the hell up on the nickname crap. Both sides of the argument. If you want to call em hawks, do it. If you want to call em Sioux, do it.

Bottom line, und hockey is #2, und football is on the rise and primed for a big season, and UND basketball is young, loaded and looking for its first trip to the big dance.

Screw you all if you want to bicker about the name, and that goes for the folks criticizing the use  of Sioux, just as much as those criticizing the use of hawks.

Pathetic!

Totally agree on this one!

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND hockey's following is largely attributed to the venue that the programs play in. Nothing to be distraught about; any $100 million facility would draw large crowds in Grand Forks, whether it was for football, basketball, or heck, even tennis or soccer. 

UNDs hockey fan base has been around far longer that the REA. Does the REA help? Sure. But the Betry should also help, compared to the Hyslop, and the Alerus should help, compared to memorial. It all comes down to winning.

If UND was 5 time national Champs in football, there would be zero question about support or filling seats.

If basketball was annual big Sky contenders, and making the dance the crows would be there.

We are already seeing improvement on both fronts. Let's not cut the hockey programs success short because of their arena, or because they have the following, which is based on success.

The other sports are getting there, which is awesome.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND didn't earn the hockey support it currently has; Ralph Englestad did that. UND men's hockey has as many national championships as UND football in the past 16 years. 

And don't oversimplify the support; winning is very important but Bubba is partially behind the support that his players give to other programs. Very unlikely you ever see the men's hockey team at basketball games or football games supporting their classmates like that. 

Okay, no natties since 2000 for hockey team but they are always in the top 5 or so nationally every year it seems and like 14 straight NCAA tourney berths.  UND football, since 2000, has the 1 div 2 nattie and probably not one NCAA tourney birth since like 2005 maybe?  It ain't just the arena, believe me.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Don't forget about Josh Collins.    He is an   extremely athletic player  and given a little more time he is going to be a very good player for UND.    Most people haven't seen the potential he has. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You are delusional.  Don't think I've ever seen anybody camp over night to get tickets to other sports as was the case frequently in the old hockey arena.  You can try diminish the hockey program all you want, but it isn't going to change the popularity of the sport, especially in a hockey city.  There is a reason Grand Forks has been so good at hockey in high school, while lacking in other sports -- because a lot of the better athletes have chosen to focus more on hockey.

58 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Don't forget about Josh Collins.    He is an   extremely athletic player  and given a little more time he is going to be a very good player for UND.    Most people haven't seen the potential he has. 

im a big proponent of redshirting ALL players...collins is someone in my opinion that should have redshirted for sure this year considering the small valuable minutes he has played this year.

2 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I agree.  Collins should of been redshirted.  Maybe he didn't want too. 

Yeah that's the thing I don't think everyone realizes. The player has a say in it. But I definitely agree it would have been nice to redshirt him. I'm thinking it did wonders for Geno. 

46 minutes ago, tnt said:

You are delusional.  Don't think I've ever seen anybody camp over night to get tickets to other sports as was the case frequently in the old hockey arena.  You can try diminish the hockey program all you want, but it isn't going to change the popularity of the sport, especially in a hockey city.  There is a reason Grand Forks has been so good at hockey in high school, while lacking in other sports -- because a lot of the better athletes have chosen to focus more on hockey.

I respectfully disagree. I won't go as far as to say you're delusional, but I think UND hockey fans are in a very good place with their facilities. Don't dismiss the REA as just "an asset". 

I'll end my intrusion on this thread by just saying that if it was just the facility, why does the women's hockey team which is free for season ticket holders draw only hundreds?  Seems to me those that can't afford season tickets would love to pay less to be in the Ralph, and the no charge would be a no brainer for the rest, that is where the delusional part comes from as far is it applies to tennis and soccer.  Even so, I apologize for it's inclusion in my reply.

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't think the criticism is totally unwarranted, given Jones's record over 10 years. BUT at this point, he has found a good combination of young talent, and has them played great, on both offense and defense. I would say Jones has certainly quieted the "fire Jones" talk, and earned the right to play out what happens with this group of talent. Especially, if he can make some noise in the Big Sky Tournament and potentially go dancing, he will have really earned the right to shut people up.

Jones has impressed me with this turnaround, question is can he get the team to the dance and do it pretty consistently like that other ND school 70 miles to the south? People were praising Muss when his team went 8-3 in 2011 but look  what happened the next two years. We thought Jones' senior ridden team of a couple years ago was going to be "the" team to get us in the dance and it didn't happen, I hope this group of young kids can continue to play well and get us to the promise land and not to the CIT. Things are looking up for Jones and I'm glad, I'm not just not on the contract extension bandwagon until there are more positive results ( and this win is a big positive).

• Upvote 2