SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

On 5/19/2016 at 10:00 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.aau.edu/about/default.aspx?id=16710

not on this list...not getting in. (unless your lucky enough to be nebraska)

Neither is Notre Dame, or like you say, Nebraska.  Boston College is no academic slouch either and could definitely see the B1G at least doing their research on expanding to New England.  Will they?  Hard to say.  But, I guarantee the thought has at least crossed their mind, and name a better school in the Northeast for the Big Ten to consider.  Their next expansion (not a hockey expansion, but an all sport acquisition) is going to be a new, large market. 

Money talks and the Big Ten is making a ton of it right now.  Many schools would jump at the idea without even blinking to get on the Big Ten money train.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:00 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.aau.edu/about/default.aspx?id=16710

not on this list...not getting in. (unless your lucky enough to be nebraska)

Nebraska was an AAU member when they applied for Big Ten. Later AAU dropped them because their Med School was too far from U Nebraska's main campus.

15 hours ago, Gopher Fan said:

My most likely possible 8th B1G hockey teams:

4. A new full B1G member. Adding the Boston University Terriers as the new 15th full member of the B1G. Boston U is a large research intensive private (A private university companion for Northwestern) university with memberships in both the AAU & URA with annual research endowments which would rank about 11th out of the 15 schools. They don’t have men’s football, wrestling, golf, or women’s volleyball teams, where all of the current 14 schools have teams, but do have teams in almost a dozen and a half sports where at least one current B1G school is missing a team. Two of the few sports where they would be the 15th team are men’s & women’s basketball to better match the ACC in the B1G/ACC Challenge at 15 a piece, besides a new full member would need at least one “money” sport (their basketball team can’t be much worse than Rutgers!). Add the Syracuse Orange as a new associate member for the needed 6th women’s hockey (and possibly Buffalo Bulls women’s rowing and/or Stony Brook men’s tennis) in New York and Massachusetts becomes contiguous to the B1G geographic footprint. As an added bonus MIT women’s rowing likely would follow BU from the Patriot League into the B1G. The B1G adds Massachusetts (including the top 10 Boston TV market), starts B1G women’s hockey, and gets a physical presence in the state of New York while paying Boston U about 40% of what other full members get (a full member share minus football-only revenue), which is still likely to be significantly higher than anything they could expect from the Patriot League. Boston U would get a higher profile and more respect locally, nationally, and even internationally. It would instantly be significantly easier for BU to recruit students, athletes, faculty, administrators, research endowment, and donations. Without the B1G, BU has no chance to move to a better athletic conference than the Patriot League, and the only other D1 conference near the B1G’s academic & research status is the Ivy League itself. My guess is it would take less than a day for Boston U to “officially” accept a B1G invite, including signed documents and agreeing to jump through any hoops the B1G requires (likely upgrading men’s baseball & women’s gymnastics club teams to varsity status). Very likely Boston U hockey would hate the move, but have it forced upon them.

Well, the B1Ghc was forced on the Goofs and Wisco too! When Pen State started Div1 hockey, game over, you had to leave WCHA.

Something not talked about, but you may want to keep in mind (you label yourself as a "Gopher Fan", so I assume the same). U MN is on the western edge of the B1G. The Big Ten seems to be moving East, especially with it's now 14 full membership teams. There's sports written articles eluding to how the B1G would like to have a share of NY City area TV market. I would think this moving more and more to the East is not in Minnesota's best interest, you'll be darn near an outsider, if this keeps up.

It may be in MN best interest to push for an  B1G affiliate in hockey west of Minneapolis/St Paul.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

"It may be in MN best interest to push for an  B1G affiliate in hockey west of Minneapolis/St Paul,"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would agree, but who would you suggest?  The only current hockey schools in the area which have any chance of meeting B1G standards, even relaxed for an affiliate membership, are  Air Force, MN-Duluth, & Nebraska-Omaha, as stated in my earlier posts.  My guess would be the Bulldogs and Mavericks (unfortunately) don't make the B1G's cut, but after an 8th team is added, Army and Air Force could become affiliates for teams 9 & 10.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND? Full? No. 

Affiliate? Maybe. How badly do Minnesota and Wisconsin want their hated rival back (to fill a rink and re-inspire fans)? Michigan, MSU, OSU, and PSU got Notre Dame for that role. Will the eastern wing toss UMn and UW a (yes, affiliate) bone? 

UND affiliate?  No way.

I long for the Gopher-Fighting Sioux rivalry to be revived (although the Fighting Hawks would be a constant and nagging reminder of NCAA "Political Correctness" gone insane), but Commissioner Delaney calls the shots and North Dakota would not meet his standards.  Minnesota only gets a single yes or no vote on his membership decisions, and that vote is usually made by the school president, not the athletic director or coaches (or fans).

3 hours ago, Big A HG said:

Boston College is no academic slouch either and could definitely see the B1G at least doing their research on expanding to New England.  Will they?  Hard to say.  But, I guarantee the thought has at least crossed their mind, and name a better school in the Northeast for the Big Ten to consider.  Their next expansion (not a hockey expansion, but an all sport acquisition) is going to be a new, large market. 

Money talks and the Big Ten is making a ton of it right now.  Many schools would jump at the idea without even blinking to get on the Big Ten money train.

Boston College is very happy the ACC, and will not leave unless the ACC completely collapses,  besides Boston College is NOT a member of either the AAU or the URA.  Harvard won't leave the Ivy League, Northeastern is a smaller version of non-football Boson U without the AAU membership, and Connecticut needs to join the AAU & URA, double their annual endowments, and build a larger football stadium.  If the B1G wants to move into the Boston area, only Boston University currently has any chance, and only if the B1G wants the only non-football member of any power five conference,  Notre Dame is in the ACC for all sports except football (and hockey), but they certainly do play football.  Boston U would fit the B1G much like Notre Dame fits the ACC.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

The big ten has a history of making up the rules as they go along. So you know nothing in reality. 

Most UND fans hope they never join that conference. 

Using a Siouxsports poll as proof of what "most" UND fans want has been proven not to work on other issues.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Gopher Fan said:

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

"It may be in MN best interest to push for an  B1G affiliate in hockey west of Minneapolis/St Paul,"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would agree, but who would you suggest?  The only current hockey schools in the area which have any chance of meeting B1G standards, even relaxed for an affiliate membership, are  Air Force, MN-Duluth, & Nebraska-Omaha, as stated in my earlier posts.  My guess would be the Bulldogs and Mavericks (unfortunately) don't make the B1G's cut, but after an 8th team is added, Army and Air Force could become affiliates for teams 9 & 10.

Wait, what?...Duluth and Omaha? 

Which relaxed standards would they have a chance at meeting over UND for affiliate membership?

I'm asking an honest question.

3 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Which relaxed standards would they have a chance at meeting over UND for affiliate membership?

He said they could ride the Gopher and Corncobber coattails as members of the University of Minnesota and University of Nebraska systems.

5 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

As soon as this "Gopher Fan" said Duluth or Omaha his credibilty needle bounced off the bottom stop. Their "mother ships" would not go for it. 

West of the Mississippi (to help UMn and UW) the only mens hockey affiliate options are:
- North Dakota - one of just 47 public institutions with Medicine and Law schools
- Denver - maybe just elitist enough, but the Moutain time zone could work against them; the plus would be BTN in Denver
- Air Force - I doubt they'd leave a conference with Army
- Colorado College - the dark horse, but an academically highly regarded private

I really don't think you'll split up DU and CC. 

Write off the sub-schools in Nebraska and Minnesota (UMD, plus MSUM, BSU, SCSU). 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

As soon as this "Gopher Fan" said Duluth or Omaha his credibilty needle bounced off the bottom stop. Their "mother ships" would not go for it. 

West of the Mississippi (to help UMn and UW) the only mens hockey affiliate options are:
- North Dakota - one of just 47 public institutions with Medicine and Law schools
- Denver - maybe just elitist enough, but the Moutain time zone could work against them; the plus would be BTN in Denver
- Air Force - I doubt they'd leave a conference with Army
- Colorado College - the dark horse, but an academically highly regarded private

I really don't think you'll split up DU and CC. 

Write off the sub-schools in Nebraska and Minnesota (UMD, plus MSUM, BSU, SCSU). 

I stand by my comments, I didn't say Duluth & Omaha had a good chance of getting into the B1G, only that they had one because of ties to flagship full members, but probably a very poor one and even then only if they came in as pair.

Minnesota-Duluth 2% chance

Nebraska-Omaha 2% chance

North Dakota 0% chance

Denver 0% chance

Colorado College 0% chance

Air Force 7.5% chance - I would agree they come in only when paired with Army

Miami 10% chance

4 hours ago, Gopher Fan said:

I'd be happy with Iowa too, and I have heard they have a new arena approved & funded, but everybody I've talk to at Iowa tells me wrestling is far more important than hockey. 

So another school that won't prioritize hockey even ahead of a non-revenue sport. Sounds like a perfect fit for the B1G. ;)

5 hours ago, Gopher Fan said:

I'd be happy with Iowa too, and I have heard they have a new arena approved & funded, but everybody I've talk to at Iowa tells me wrestling is far more important than hockey. Iowa State on the other hand seems to get excited about hockey.

Iowa State hockey would have no TV contract, unlike Nothe Dame and UND, as none of them will get a slice of the B1G Network. Futhermore, Iowa State needs to stay in the good graces of UT and OU, and hockey doesn't do that unless UT and OU start it.  A P5 school will only move hockey into another P5 conference if it's a major TV power that every one wants.  Notre Dame moving hockey to the B1G was a power play, as it made the ACC nervous for the future.  Iowa St on the other hand would make enemies down South, who would ask why aren't they putting more investment in fb.

Big Ten Hockey regretfully announces that the flagship hockey school in the country has declined to join our conference. North Dakota, with their nation leading attendance, cited their culture of preparing its players for the NHL and preparation for the national tournament as reason for declining. The difference between the split between the WCHA with the formation of the NCHC and BIG has been outstanding.....North Dakotas ultimate goal is to have the most NCAA National Championships and they believe continuing their current projectory will lead them to that path. Citing the Gophers, who won the BIG regular season,yet inability to even make the NCAA national tournament as a major reason as they don't see the the BIG being very competitive anytime soon.

Bad formatting, but this is what my sources have said ^

Also said the BIG told them wanting to add the #1 team in the sport was a no brainer. and stated it was a "soft invite" so if UND declined it wouldn't make national (BIG) news....ooops.

6 hours ago, Cratter said:

Bad formatting, but this is what my sources have said ^

Also said the BIG told them wanting to add the #1 team in the sport was a no brainer. and stated it was a "soft invite" so if UND declined it wouldn't make national (BIG) news....ooops.

So that's not really a quote, it's just something you wrote? 

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2016 at 6:50 AM, Cratter said:

The big ten has a history of making up the rules as they go along. So you know nothing in reality. 

Most UND fans hope they never join that conference. 

This UND fan would love to see a B1G affiliation. Plenty of benefits to the university as a whole. 

• Upvote 3