SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fighting Hawks vs. UNO Mavericks

AZSIOUX

UND beat the under 18 team 4-1 in a tune up while UNO was swept at home vs Denver this weekend 3-0 and 4-3

UND 18-2-2 -- 9-1-0-0 nchc 2nd pairwise 

UNO 14-5-1 -- 4-5-1-0 nchc 7th pairwise

NCHC STANDINGS

UND27(2games in hand of scsu) SCSU27 UMD18 DU16 WMU14 UNO13 MIAMI10 CC9

***UND 2nd nation Goals against 1.577. Quinny 1st at 1.501

***UND on 8 game win streak overall 

***SCHMALTZ still 2nd nation assists after missing some time with 23. Leader 28

***CAM leads nation in goals against 1.071 as well as save % 0.956. Cam and the team D has been amazing so far 

***ORTEGA(uno) leads the world in game winning goals.6 on the year and had many last year. Tied for 3rd nation goals 16.

***WENINGER(uno) 4th nation save % .942

***GUENTZEL(uno) tied 2nd nation short handed goals 3

• Downvote 1

Wish some other guys would of scored 

There were many times tonight lines did a great job bringing the puck into our end but no shots

It's scary trying to win it all with so few scoring

The ones who are - are outstanding

I just figured more of our lines would be scoring

Good that the d is not afraid to shoot the puck

Our power play is still nothing to brag about

8 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Where does UNO fit into the priority list of rivalres in the conference? One thing is for sure they have the talent and coaching to beat us in the Ralph if we mail it in.  

Imo, 1 Denver, 2 st cloud, 3 Duluth,  4/5 Miami/Omaha, 6 CC, 7 Western Mich

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

Rivalries are made in the postseason.

Omaha might just be an exception:

Nov. 2010, Omaha, SPLIT, two 1-goal games

Jan. 2011, GFK, SPLIT, included the 8-4 shellacking (one of the worst, if not the worst, losses at REA for UND)

Dec. 2011, GFK, SPLIT, two 1-goal games including 1 in OT

Feb. 2013, Omaha, UND SWEEP (Sioux and fans embarrassed UNO at their outdoor showcase game)

Nov. 2013, Omaha, SPLIT, one 1-goal game and one 2-goal game

Feb. 2014, GFK, SPLIT, infamous Dean Blais ejection before UNO comes back and wins

Nov. 2014, GFK, UND W and TIE, includes UNO shootout Win and yet another 1-goal game

Jan. 2015, Omaha, SPLIT, both games OT

UND leads series, 9-6-1, which kind of looks deceptive.

And Omaha is just coming into its teen years starting its program in the late 90's. They've been doing some good things lately: Got into the WCHA, hired Blais, built a new on campus arena, has one of the nations highest average attendances, made the Frozen Four last year, and hosted UND in an outdoor game. 

Naturally there isn't much history yet, but they've been a contender pretty quickly and will only continue to be a fun series to watch. 

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Jan. 2011, GFK, SPLIT, included the 8-4 shellacking (one of the worst, if not the worst, losses at REA for UND)

Feb. 2013, Omaha, UND SWEEP (Sioux and fans embarrassed UNO at their outdoor showcase game)

Feb. 2014, GFK, SPLIT, infamous Dean Blais ejection before UNO comes back and wins

Nov. 2014, GFK, UND W and TIE, includes UNO shootout Win and yet another 1-goal game

I think that if Blais didn't coach UNO, this series would be a lot different. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, 808287 said:

We'll find that out in a couple of years.  Jutting or Guentzel,,.that's the only question.

Would Hastings possibly want to leave Mankato?  Not positive Guentzel would leave Minnesota unless it is clear he won't be the man after Lucia leaves.

4 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

We have seen every one of these games, but our streak of attendance at Omaha is threatened this year.  The too small arena and exorbitant second hand ticket market is making it tough to find reasonable tickets.  I would think the downtown merchants cannot be too happy with the move of venue and the reduced size of UND fan attendance.  I heard that one of the hotels said this was their best winter weekend every year.  

On 1/10/2016 at 0:37 AM, siouxforce19 said:

This series just draws my attention back to the "Which UNO fan is actually the dumbest?" on Twitter/USCHO/etc contest...

It's cute that we're really their only "rivalry" and it's a big weekend for them, but it's just another day for me...

Probably some of the craziest, obsessed with UND fans you will ever find.

2 hours ago, siouxstudent said:

Probably some of the craziest, obsessed with UND fans you will ever find.

I've never seen a fanbase more self-conscious than UNO's.  They are constantly screaming "LOOK AT ME!" and complaining when UND gets national recognition (for example with the tic-tac-toe pass). It's hilarious to watch them unravel over what they perceive to be slights.

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

Omaha would buy that deal out, plus Omaha has more to offer then Mankato.

I was thinking Guentzel would be hopping up and down yelling "pick me, pick me, get me outta here."  But, maybe Jutting's replacement in 'Kato would be better to lead Jutting into the next era at UNO.  Hmm...wait...doubt Jutting would sit for that.  Well....maybe they would take Hastings anyway.