SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Merchandise

burronation

19 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Being divided is dumb and hopefully it decreases as time goes by but I'm sure at Marquette, Arkansas St, and others it happened there too. Just give it time and with a new logo hopefully the name can take off (no pun intended).

Interesting that you mentioned Marquette whose fans continue to use Warriors even 20+ years after the name was officially retired.  The link below details a brief history of their name change and it is very similar to what UND has experienced.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/nickname/start

"Even current students, who were youngsters when the original decision to change the nickname was announced, continue to chant “Let's Go Warriors” during men's basketball games."

26 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Interesting that you mentioned Marquette whose fans continue to use Warriors even 20+ years after the name was officially retired.  The link below details a brief history of their name change and it is very similar to what UND has experienced.

"Even current students, who were youngsters when the original decision to change the nickname was announced, continue to chant “Let's Go Warriors” during men's basketball games."

I fear the same thing will happen at UND.  And having thousands of references to the old logo at the Ralph definitely isn't going to help with transitioning to a new name.  

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Sioux Forever crowd added a new hashtag:  #butmarquette

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Because there will be fistfights in the stands between the Hawks and Sioux fans... just wait

Ha, might be closer than you think. Saw some real dirty/angry looks occasionally followed by choice commentary multiple times this winter from some #SiouxForever fans towards people doing any sort of Hawk-related cheers.

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Ha, might be closer than you think. Saw some real dirty/angry looks occasionally followed by choice commentary multiple times this winter from some #SiouxForever fans towards people doing any sort of Hawk-related cheers.

Huh... I have yet to see any of that after attending 25+ games home or away last season. Not saying it's not true just few and far between I think.  In Duluth, there were some fans(heavily intoxicated) flapping their arms and making "Kaw" sounds. I thought it was hilarious.

25 minutes ago, dagies said:

I'm not sure what's to fear about some fans who may continue to cheer "Let's Go Sioux".   All UND athletes will know exactly who they are cheering for.

All I am saying is that I guarantee that there will be fans who will show resentment towards those that embrace the new name.  Especially those in the "Hockey only" crowd.  Walk into the Ralph next season wearing a Fighting Hawks shirt and hat and yell "Go Hawks" during the game.  I guarantee that you will get looks from self proclaimed "Sioux Forever" fans and may even get heckled or booed.  That is reality.  If you think it won't happen, you are delusional.

The fact that a UND fan sitting in our home arena would be treated like an outsider for cheering for the schools current nickname is beyond unacceptable.  But it will happen.  You want to yell Sioux and pretend that it is still the nickname of UND, you have every right to do so.  But you are not helping the situation. 

• Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

All I am saying is that I guarantee that there will be fans who will show resentment towards those that embrace the new name.  Especially those in the "Hockey only" crowd.  Walk into the Ralph next season wearing a Fighting Hawks shirt and hat and yell "Go Hawks" during the game.  I guarantee that you will get looks from self proclaimed "Sioux Forever" fans and may even get heckled or booed.  That is reality.  If you think it won't happen, you are delusional.

The fact that a UND fan sitting in our home arena would be treated like an outsider for cheering for the schools current nickname is beyond unacceptable.  But it will happen.  You want to yell Sioux and pretend that it is still the nickname of UND, you have every right to do so.  But you are not helping the situation. 

You just made up a situation that you "guaranteed" will happen and then got mad about the people you "guaranteed" will do it. And anyone who does not take your GUARANTEE at face value is delusional? :lol:

Can we at least wait until it actually happens to complain? I'm sure your guarantee is rock solid and all but I'd rather not jump to conclusions. If this makes me delusional, I suppose I'll just have to cope with it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You just made up a situation that you "guaranteed" will happen and then got mad about the people you "guaranteed" will do it. And anyone who does not take your GUARANTEE at face value is delusional? :lol:

Can we at least wait until it actually happens to complain? I'm sure your guarantee is rock solid and all but I'd rather not jump to conclusions. If this makes me delusional, I suppose I'll just have to cope with it.

It wouldn't be far fetched. I said Go Hawks on a UND facebook site during the Frozen Four and someone had the gull to tell me I have no UND Pride because I didn't say Go Sioux. Being booed at the REA by a member of the "hockey only crowd" isn't much of a step up from this.

• Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I've already seen it more than once. On multiple occasions, someone yelling anything Hawk related (whether well-intended or meant to provoke by yelling Hawks instead of Sioux, since I guess that is the actual nickname) was usually followed by at minimum a handful of dirty looks and occasionally some commentary. Now, I fully believe that you didn't see it last year, but how many people did you hear using Hawks? I personally didn't see/hear a ton of it, but the responses when it happened were definitely not positive.

St. Cloud was probably the most amusing example because it was right after the new name was announced and both St. Cloud and #SiouxForever fans did not seem to care for it.

I had someone in the section above me yell "Go Hawks" during 5-10 games at The Ralph. Honestly,  I usually looked at them in shock because I wasn't sure if it was real or they were mocking the name. Maybe people were mistaking this for dirty looks? I'm probably not too concerned with "dirty looks" from people. If they become vocal is when I'll tell them to shut up because we are both cheering for the same team.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

It wouldn't be far fetched. I said Go Hawks on a UND facebook site during the Frozen Four and someone had the gull to tell me I have no UND Pride because I didn't say Go Sioux. Being booed at the REA by a member of the "hockey only crowd" isn't much of a step up from this.

Maybe they thought we were a different bird?

It's not like you attend games anyway. Get over it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I wonder how much would have changed if the leadership at the time in 2010 just came out and went to a new nickname by the end of 2010.

I think there would still be some blowback, who knows maybe nothing would have changed, but a lot of the self-inflicted wounds wouldn't be present.

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Actually the family and I took in the Marquette/UND Basketball game at the Bradley Center a couple of years ago.  Never once heard anything about the Warriors.  Not once.  And the only reference we saw was my daughter in the concession line asked me about someone in line who had a Marquette Warriors sweatshirt on.   I asked her at the end of the game how much Warrior apparel she counted she said 5.  I only saw the 1 she pointed out at the concession stands.   So from my experience in Milwaukee, together we saw very little of Warrior gear and absolutely no mention of Warriors in cheers.   Just my personal experience.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I wonder how much would have changed if the leadership at the time in 2010 just came out and went to a new nickname by the end of 2010.

I think there would still be some blowback, who knows maybe nothing would have changed, but a lot of the self-inflicted wounds wouldn't be present.

We would have won a Natty a lot sooner! 

11 hours ago, petey23 said:

Maybe they thought we were a different bird?

It's not like you attend games anyway. Get over it.

I do attend games and can't wait to cheer on the Fighting Hawks at the Alerus Center in 4 months. Do you know where the Alerus Center is?

Seems here doesn't come the merchandise.

I heard on the morning news today that SME is behind because UND officials have been focused on the budget and not able to communicate on this subject. Delay, delay. 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Seems here doesn't come the merchandise.

I heard on the morning news today that SME is behind because UND officials have been focused on the budget and not able to communicate on this subject. Delay, delay. 

Scrap SME, and have Bennett Brien create one, problem solved.