SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Merchandise

burronation

6 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Or worse, has been stuck in the radiator grill for the last 100 miles.  it's too dark and too frazzled looking for my liking. 

I agree fully.   That design just doesn't cut it and hopefully we'll have a much nicer design.   We certainly deserve better.

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

So what would you change about it to improve it? I prefer criticism I can use.

We've already been down that road.  The loose feathers pointing downward on the neck need to be removed, and I don't feel black is an appropriate color.   Has UND hired you to design the logo?   Otherwise, I don't think you need to worry about the criticism.

2 hours ago, TRex said:

We've already been down that road.  The loose feathers pointing downward on the neck need to be removed, and I don't feel black is an appropriate color.   Has UND hired you to design the logo?   Otherwise, I don't think you need to worry about the criticism.

I'm applying so I guess we'll see.

18 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Geaux Sioux works hard on a design and I compliment it and get two negative votes???? I don't get it?

I don't want UND to be just another bird logo.  I still hate the name but may warm up to FH if they use a military theme (aircraft, etc.)  that could be somewhat unique to UND.

43 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I don't want UND to be just another bird logo.  I still hate the name but may warm up to FH if they use a military theme (aircraft, etc.)  that could be somewhat unique to UND.

I suppose now we have to determine the voting intention of the Fighting Hawk voters.  Were they voting for a bird or something else?  May need to have another runoff before a logo is picked!!

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I suppose now we have to determine the voting intention of the Fighting Hawk voters.  Were they voting for a bird or something else?  May need to have another runoff before a logo is picked!!

They haven't cared about fan input or any kind of unique branding strategy thus far so I doubt the will going forward.  I think that a military aircraft theme would work well if they did it right, but it would take some creativity and little risk. The administration wants something boring that couldn't possibly offend anyone, think if the deluded intellectual crowd at UND saw a military aircraft logo that in there eyes "glorified war", they'd be out protesting the logo and we'd be going through this headache again. Additionally any designs that bear too many similarities to the old Fighting Sioux Logo, especially feathers, are likely to draw similar protests and head ache for the university. Time to face the music, we're likely going to have a generic bird logo, and a cartoon bird abomination mascot.Kelley and most of the committee members manipulated this process from the start, they wanted something PC and as unoffensive as possible, and that is what they will get.

Question (OK, I know the answer already):

Was there any input from "the public" before the Ben Brien logo was rolled out? Sure, that wasn't a complete reboot (name and logo), but the public heard it was coming but had zero input on the final result. 

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Question (OK, I know the answer already):

Was there any input from "the public" before the Ben Brien logo was rolled out? Sure, that wasn't a complete reboot (name and logo), but the public heard it was coming but had zero input on the final result. 

True, but that was an already established brand, the fighting hawks is a completely new brand concept one that has come out of a very device process. I think trying to compare the Ben Brien Logo change to the establishment an entirely new branding "Fighting Hawks" is different. People have no idea what to expect in terms of a logo from this new concept, with the fighting Sioux their was an already established brand history and previous logos and some of them were not terribly popular, I have heard the the geometric Sioux logo wasn't very popular, and the Sammy the Sioux logo was very disliked. The point is that with fighting Sioux people had some idea of what to expect, with fighting hawks people have no idea what to expect, maybe they will manage to create an amazing logo that manages to be unique and appealing to even the most die hard anti new nickname fan, but personally I am not holding my breath, and I doubt I am alone in that opinion.

14 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Why when its not hard to get old Fighting Sioux stuff or "off brand" Fighting Sioux stuff.

Why? I'd like part of the proceeds of what I buy to see their way back to UND. I suspect the site you cite isn't selling all officially licensed gear. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why? I'd like part of the proceeds of what I buy to see their way back to UND. I suspect the site you cite isn't selling all officially licensed gear. 

True, but your assuming that I want to buy the new gear, again it remains to be seen if UND can come up with a logo to save what is an otherwise bland nickname. If they can come up with a great logo that manages to win me over then sure I will buy the new stuff. Otherwise I will look for the old Fighting Sioux stuff or buy gear that doesn't use the new nickname or logo. I don't plan on spending money on something I don't like, if I want to support UND will just make a donation to the school or to my old department and forgo the official gear that I "hypothetically" don't like.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

True, but your assuming that I want to buy the new gear, again it remains to be seen if UND can come up with a logo to save what is an otherwise bland nickname. If they can come up with a great logo that manages to win me over then sure I will buy the new stuff. Otherwise I will look for the old Fighting Sioux stuff or buy gear that doesn't use the new nickname or logo. I don't plan on spending money on something I don't like, if I want to support UND will just make a donation to the school or to my old department and forgo the official gear that I "hypothetically" don't like.

Great post!  My thoughts exactly.

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

While it may be the cool thing to do to rebel against the man and wear Sioux gear to games and around town after the new merchandise with the new logo is out...You are going to look rather  foolish when the students, student athletes, and a whole bunch of other fans are wearing the new name and logo while you are still clinging to the past.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

While it may be the cool thing to do to rebel against the man and wear Sioux gear to games and around town after the new merchandise with the new logo is out...You are going to look rather  foolish when the students, student athletes, and a whole bunch of other fans are wearing the new name and logo while you are still clinging to the past.  

Why would you look foolish?  Especially when most people are still wearing that "outdated" Sioux gear.

37 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Why would you look foolish?  Especially when most people are still wearing that "outdated" Sioux gear.

By "most people" who are you referring to?  With the exception of hockey games, the majority of people are not wearing Sioux gear.  Sure there are some, but the majority are not.  When a new logo is out and new merchandise is for sale, you will see the majority of fans wearing the new gear.  Now the majority of people at hockey games may still wear Sioux gear, but that will change slowly over time.

So while others are accepting the fact UND has a new nickname and logo, those that are stubborn will continue to wear the Sioux gear to games and not embrace the change and look foolish. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

By "most people" who are you referring to?  With the exception of hockey games, the majority of people are not wearing Sioux gear.  Sure there are some, but the majority are not.  When a new logo is out and new merchandise is for sale, you will see the majority of fans wearing the new gear.  Now the majority of people at hockey games may still wear Sioux gear, but that will change slowly over time.

So while others are accepting the fact UND has a new nickname and logo, those that are stubborn will continue to wear the Sioux gear to games and not embrace the change and look foolish. 

Saying "with the exception of hockey" at UND is like talking about Duke sports and saying with the exception of basketball or with the exception of football at Ole Miss.

Yes football won't have as many people wearing Fighting Sioux stuff but as I stated in previous posts other sports don't really tend to use the nickname or logo anyways. My UND football jersey just says North Dakota in very small lettering. As for basket ball, personally I have always found basketball to be boring but here as well you didn't see the logo being used a lot. While I am probably more of a anti new nickname person I think you are over estimating how much people embracing the new nickname, the reality is that most people a mostly indifferent about it. As for the Fighting Sioux Gear eventually it will become less and less common, but that will take a long time, the name was in place for over 80 years that won't go away overnight.

Whether or not the Fighting hawks (Nickname and logo) will succeed  as a branding choice is going to depend a lot on how good the new logo is. If we want to assume that it is permanent all we need to do is look at UND's original name, Flicker tails, which was changed simply because the students didn't like it, while the odds of that happening are not good in the near future who know what will happen 10 or 15 years down the line. The branding as the Fighting Hawks is not an assured success we'll just have to wait and see, maybe it will manage to take the mantle or maybe it will be a marketing dud.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So what are UND fans supposed to do pack up their Sioux clothing and bury it in the backyard? How do you connect a person wearing Sioux clothing with them being unaccepting of the new name - that is quite a stretch. The logo was the highest selling college logo in the US for many years - because people liked how it looked. Who is going to send out the message that you now look foolish for wearing this logo?  

• Upvote 3

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 7:53 PM, dakotadan said:

Haha, really? You his big brother? 

So why is it okay for him to question the loyalty or commitment of fans who acknowledge that F'n Hawks is a horrible, generic junior high nickname? 

His big brother? No. But I know him personally and I know his commitment to this school and its programs.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 8:15 AM, petey23 said:

You are not doing him any favors.

Ouch, that really stings (not). :silly:

43 minutes ago, fight on sioux said:

Dude, who made you the "what people will wear" expert? People who still wear the Fighting Sioux gear aren't stubborn, they are still proud Fighting Sioux fans. Who the hell are you to judge them... You don't see people still wearing Sioux gear criticize those who say they will wear the new logo. Most just say they won't buy it. Go ahead and buy your Fighting Hawks gear, but don't judge others who won't. Ridiculous.

"Proud Fighting Sioux Fans".  The reason you are proud fans, is because the name of the school you support was the Fighting Sioux.  If UND would have been known as the Fighting Hawks for 80 years, you would be "Proud Fighting Hawk" fans.  My point is, the support you gave the Fighting Sioux name was because it was the name of the University of North Dakota athletic teams.  I get it that Fighting Hawks is not even close to being as good as Fighting Sioux on many levels.  But is is the nickname of the school in which you support.  If you think not embracing a new name and logo and refusing to accept the new name and logo is supporting the University, its teams, and its student athletes, that's your opinion. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1