SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:53 PM, WPGfan said:

My son has been down for both Junior Day and Homecoming. He loves the coaches and is excited with the prospect of playing for the Fighting Hawks. He's a DB/KR from Winnipeg. Take a peak at his tape below.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4474760/shae-weekes

Don't forget us Canadians!

Your son is a junior so I'm certain he's someone the Hawks will keep an eye on. Glad he is excited about playing here.

Any concerns about the uncertainty of conference affiliation with our recruiting? My biggest concern is the possibility of having to sit out a year of football. Would that be just for conference championships but allow us to be in the football playoffs. Lots of ifs and buts before we get to that point.

1 minute ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Any concerns about the uncertainty of conference affiliation with our recruiting? My biggest concern is the possibility of having to sit out a year of football. Would that be just for conference championships but allow us to be in the football playoffs. Lots of ifs and buts before we get to that point.

It would only apply to the auto bid for the conference. We would still be fully eligible for seeds and at large playoff births. I am a fan of the Big Sky, but am selfish because it is nice to see them play UNC in Colorado every two years. We had a heck of a tailgate set up on Saturday and I would love to keep doing it!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sprig said:

Someone posted we go to Montana next year.  That can't be right,  is it?  We were there last year,  should be their turn to come to GF

It's right, we are @ Montana next year -- it doesn't make a lot of sense, since like you said they were there last year. Must be the start of a new round of scheduling.

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

These aren't concerns. UND largely recruits midwest kids that are familiar with the MVFC and are supportive of it (hard not to be considering the quality of teams in that conference). 

As for sitting out a year of football, that is asinine thinking. UND is not sitting out a year of football -- EVER! Just not going to happen in ANY scenario. UND will also always remain eligible for the postseason. This isn't a reclassification process like UND went through from DII to DI; it's merely switching conferences. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, sprig said:

Someone posted we go to Montana next year.  That can't be right,  is it?  We were there last year,  should be their turn to come to GF

Scheduling is strange within the Big Sky Conference. Also, the BSC officiating crews are awful. Just two quick reasons that the BSC is less than ideal in my opinion. The MVFC is a superior conference for UND. 

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Any concerns about the uncertainty of conference affiliation with our recruiting?

I can't imagine it would affect recruiting.  I'm sure if you tell any recruit that if he comes to the University of North Dakota he'll be able to play against schools like Southern Illinois, Illinois State, Missouri State, Youngstown State, Western Illinois, USD, SDSU, Northern Iowa, NDSU and that he'll be able to travel to some of the most scenic cities in the upper Midwest like Macomb, Brookings, Carbondale, Cedar Falls, Springfield, Vermillion, Normal, Youngstown & Fargo.....He'll say "wow, where do I sign up." :0

This, as opposed to, having to try and sell a recruit on playing against schools like the University of Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington University, Sacramento State, Idaho State, Portland State, University of California-Davis, Cal Poly University, Southern Utah, Weber State, Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, and soon the University of Idaho and he'll have to fly to destinations like Portland, OR; Missoula, Cheney, WA; Davis, CA; Pocatello, Bozeman, Flagstaff, AZ; Greeley, CO; Sacramento and San Luis Obispo, CA.  There's no question that Youngstown, Brookings, Vermillion, Normal and Fargo are going to win out every time.  :silly:

And then, if you're the University of North Dakota president, why would you ever want to be associated with other institutions that have top medical, engineering and law schools when you can hook up with schools that offer some of the top "junior college" type academic programs in the country?

I suspect that the recruits rated as the #2 class in the Big Sky signed up with Bubba because they knew these amazing changes were on the horizon and they are all pumped that they don't have to board a plane to warm weather locations in Arizona and California like San Luis Obispo or look at that big "M" on the mountains overlooking the 25,000 fans in the seats of Washington-Grizzly stadium. 

This would be like University of Minnesota football leaving the Big 10 so they can take bus trips to play the MNSCU schools. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

I can't imagine it would affect recruiting.  I'm sure if you tell any recruit that if he comes to the University of North Dakota he'll be able to play against schools like Southern Illinois, Illinois State, Missouri State, Youngstown State, Western Illinois, USD, SDSU, Northern Iowa, NDSU and that he'll be able to travel to some of the most scenic cities in the upper Midwest like Macomb, Brookings, Carbondale, Cedar Falls, Springfield, Vermillion, Normal, Youngstown & Fargo.....He'll say "wow, where do I sign up." :0

This, as opposed to, having to try and sell a recruit on playing against schools like the University of Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington University, Sacramento State, Idaho State, Portland State, University of California-Davis, Cal Poly University, Southern Utah, Weber State, Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, and soon the University of Idaho and he'll have to fly to destinations like Portland, OR; Missoula, Cheney, WA; Davis, CA; Pocatello, Bozeman, Flagstaff, AZ; Greeley, CO; Sacramento and San Luis Obispo, CA.  There's no question that Youngstown, Brookings, Vermillion, Normal and Fargo are going to win out every time.  :silly:

And then, if you're the University of North Dakota president, why would you ever want to be associated with other institutions that have top medical, engineering and law schools when you can hook up with schools that offer some of the top "junior college" type academic programs in the country?

I suspect that the recruits rated as the #2 class in the Big Sky signed up with Bubba because they knew these amazing changes were on the horizon and they are all pumped that they don't have to board a plane to warm weather locations in Arizona and California like San Luis Obispo or look at that big "M" on the mountains overlooking the 25,000 fans in the seats of Washington-Grizzly stadium. 

This would be like University of Minnesota football leaving the Big 10 so they can take bus trips to play the MNSCU schools. 

I am against the grain, too.  From a student athlete perspective I'd rather play in the Big Sky.

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

I've never really understood this line of reasoning...you are correct in that the Big Sky has some schools in beautiful locations...however it's not like the football team is going to Missoula, MT on a vacation...those are focused business trips.  It's not like they get to go hiking/fly-fishing/hunting/pub-crawling on Friday when they get to town or after the game...It's true that we'd lose the ability to sell recruits on playing close to home...but really the only recruiting area that would be affected is Denver...and the typical signee would lose two games per career in Greeley.  We don't seem to have much interest in recruiting California, Montana, Idaho, Washington or Oregon...so it's kind of a moot point.  However we do recruit the Twin Cities and Wisconsin hard...so the pros/cons on that are moot at best.

Now...if you are looking at this from a FAN perspective...I agree 100%!  I'd much rather drive the extra miles to Missoula over a trip to Normal or Macomb any day...but it's about what's best for the program.  Being able to make trips to Fargo, Brookings, and Vermillion certainly has appeal to me...even if those aren't "sexy" locations...

• Upvote 2