SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If UND can maintain his commitment until February, Ott will be a high potential player for UND. Exciting stuff indeed. 

Not that it really matters, but any idea why Ott didn't have any offers from the other Dakotas and UNI?  The twitterers all seem to think he should go to the Gophers or at least a MAC team, and yet we're the only ones who show as having offered him?  Seems weird.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not that it really matters, but any idea why Ott didn't have any offers from the other Dakotas and UNI?  The twitterers all seem to think he should go to the Gophers or at least a MAC team, and yet we're the only ones who show as having offered him?  Seems weird.

Could be concerns over his previous injury. Not sure why any other schools wouldn't take a flyer on the kid, with such talent.

18 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Believe SDSU had offered.

30 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Ott has a torn acl that shortened his junior yr, I would guess that's reason why he has slipped through the recruiting process.

If bubba can keep ott here and get boye mafe....wow!!!!  Add in Jalen and this is one REALLY impressive front line.   

Mafe is gonna be a Gopher already verbal I believe.

9 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Not yet.  He never verballed.  Was supposed to be up here last weekend but is coming up to Weber State game now.  We are hanging around!

Good to know. Ya never know with these kids. There is always the dream to play for the big local program, but you never know what else he may be looking for in the recruiting process. He would be a great steal.

Too bad there isn't a hockey game that weekend. I know its completely unrelated to football, and i'm not sure if they bring all the football players to hockey games or not, but I still thinks its a good entertainment/recruiting tool for the kids. I think it would be even better if the Alerus could match the production that the Ralph does.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Mafe is gonna be a Gopher already verbal I believe.

He'd be a huge get.  But we do already have 3 DL commits and DL is one of the deepest positions on the team (and it should be, with how we rotate there).  Time to bring in some more OL and "skill position" guys.

We have 10 commits now - 2 DEs, 1 NG, 3 LBs, 1 QB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 OL.  Hold on tight to these guys.

I'd like to see 2-3 CBs, 3-4 OL, 1 WR, 2 RBs, 2 Safetys, 1-2 LBs, and a kicker added to the current list.  That'd put us with a class of 22-25 players, which isn't unreasonable.  I'm a supporter of the "recruit an entire line-up every year" theory.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

He'd be a huge get.  But we do already have 3 DL commits and DL is one of the deepest positions on the team (and it should be, with how we rotate there).  Time to bring in some more OL and "skill position" guys.

We have 10 commits now - 2 DEs, 1 NG, 3 LBs, 1 QB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 OL.  Hold on tight to these guys.

I'd like to see 2-3 CBs, 3-4 OL, 1 WR, 2 RBs, 2 Safetys, 1-2 LBs, and a kicker added to the current list.  That'd put us with a class of 22-25 players, which isn't unreasonable.  I'm a supporter of the "recruit an entire line-up every year" theory.

Agreed, we need more recruits outside of DL, but from what I've read, if you can get a guy like Mafe (especially in addition to Ott) you take him. That would be a pretty dominant class at that position. And you never know if you will be able to hold on to Ott for sure, if the Goofs come calling.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I agree with you, but if you got a shot at a high end kid position doesn't matter.

Long shot for Mafe indeed, but the fact he has the Gopher offer and is visiting helps me feel good that kids are seeing what we have to offer and taking notice.  

We need to load up on the OL and DB areas, and we definitely need another RB considering Secrest didn't make it this year (and McKinney is going to be our next burner at WR based on the current plan).  Would also like another WR with decent speed that's a little taller.  But I do like how this class is coming together - just need to spread the wealth around a bit :) 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Long shot for Mafe indeed, but the fact he has the Gopher offer and is visiting helps me feel good that kids are seeing what we have to offer and taking notice.  

We need to load up on the OL and DB areas, and we definitely need another RB considering Secrest didn't make it this year (and McKinney is going to be our next burner at WR based on the current plan).  Would also like another WR with decent speed that's a little taller.  But I do like how this class is coming together - just need to spread the wealth around a bit :) 

How is Rickert's speed? Anyone know? I know some people on here have been very high on him.

I also went to the Edina game last night (sorry I missed you Siouxperman8!).  I was excited to watch Boltmann.

- There was a question on this board previously about his height.  He's listed at 6'1" but it's hard to tell - the stands are pretty far from the field.  I would not be surprised if he's under 6 feet.

- I spent most of the game comparing him to Keaton since I watched him in high school, too.  In short Boltmann is a superior passer vs. Keaton in high school.  Better accuracy, better decision making.  He plays like a coaches son (which of course he is).  I rate them as equal in arm strength at the same points in their careers.  Boltmann did throw a beautiful deep ball that should have been caught... a gorgeous rainbow that was put in a place where only the receiver could catch it.  Overall Keaton is the superior athlete at the same points in their career.  Keaton was a fantastic running quarterback in high school; lightning quick reflexes and excellent speed... better than most RBs he played with and against.  Boltmann is a good but not great runner... he does enough to evade the rush but is not a consistent threat for huge yardage when he takes off running like Keaton used to.  Overall I really like him and he'll fit well into the UND system.  He has potential to be a multiple year starter.

- I couldn't get a good read on Rickert.  I certainly had my eye on him but because Boltmann spreads the ball around to much it was hard for Rickert to stand out.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

South Dakota State offered. Great that Ott chose UND. Bubba and his staff have everything going in the right direction. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Believe SDSU had offered.

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

South Dakota State offered. Great that Ott chose UND. Bubba and his staff have everything going in the right direction. 

Sounds good.  With him being regarded as such a great talent, I was a little concerned about why other teams may be avoiding him.  Sounds like he has great potential.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Sounds good.  With him being regarded as such a great talent, I was a little concerned about why other teams may be avoiding him.  Sounds like he has great potential.

Even in today's hyper-driven media world, some kids fly under the radar and get overlooked. Great job by Bubba and his staff for plucking this one.

10 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

I also went to the Edina game last night (sorry I missed you Siouxperman8!).  I was excited to watch Boltmann.

- There was a question on this board previously about his height.  He's listed at 6'1" but it's hard to tell - the stands are pretty far from the field.  I would not be surprised if he's under 6 feet.

- I spent most of the game comparing him to Keaton since I watched him in high school, too.  In short Boltmann is a superior passer vs. Keaton in high school.  Better accuracy, better decision making.  He plays like a coaches son (which of course he is).  I rate them as equal in arm strength at the same points in their careers.  Boltmann did throw a beautiful deep ball that should have been caught... a gorgeous rainbow that was put in a place where only the receiver could catch it.  Overall Keaton is the superior athlete at the same points in their career.  Keaton was a fantastic running quarterback in high school; lightning quick reflexes and excellent speed... better than most RBs he played with and against.  Boltmann is a good but not great runner... he does enough to evade the rush but is not a consistent threat for huge yardage when he takes off running like Keaton used to.  Overall I really like him and he'll fit well into the UND system.  He has potential to be a multiple year starter.

- I couldn't get a good read on Rickert.  I certainly had my eye on him but because Boltmann spreads the ball around to much it was hard for Rickert to stand out.

Thanks for the perspective.  I didn't see Studsrud play in HS so I have nothing to compare him to.